Good Luck Burton Albion Tonight! | Page 2 | Vital Football

Good Luck Burton Albion Tonight!

Man City were superb but Burton were pretty terrible. They played the whole game like we played the 11th to 15th minutes at Everton.

I was kind of rooting for City to get a tenth at the end, can't recall seeing double figures for an English match before. I feel sorry for Burton, there's just nothing you can do against that sort of football.

I was kind of rooting for City to get a tenth at the end, can't recall seeing double figures for an English match before. I feel sorry for Burton, there's just nothing you can do against that sort of football.
Didn't Gillingham get an 8 and a 10 in successive matches in the 1980s? I think George Shipley was playing for them then.

I remember Liverpool getting 10 against Fulham in the League Cup around that time.

Didn't Gillingham get an 8 and a 10 in successive matches in the 1980s? I think George Shipley was playing for them then.

I remember Liverpool getting 10 against Fulham in the League Cup around that time.

I was born in 1995. Don't think it's happened in the Football League in my lifetime.

Spain scored 10 against Tahiti at the 2013 Confederations Cup, but that was one of the biggest mismatches in football history.

Football's not fair is it. There's no need for a Premier League giant to humiliate a lower league team 9-0. Premier League fat cat bullies treading all over the lower leagues. Leaves a nasty taste.

Football's not fair is it. There's no need for a Premier League giant to humiliate a lower league team 9-0. Premier League fat cat bullies treading all over the lower leagues. Leaves a nasty taste.
And yet people moan when Premier League sides play weakened teams against them. Can't win, can they?

Football is a competitive sport, may the best team win: the best team won.

That was an uncomfortable watch. Ironically Burton played some decent stuff for the first 20 mins. and created a couple of very good chances before Man City did what they do.

Last edited:
I was kind of rooting for City to get a tenth at the end, can't recall seeing double figures for an English match before.

I've seen 10-0 and 12-0 wins in the Southern League if that counts for anything. Perhaps on a par with City Reserves beating Halifax Town Reserves 11-2 in the North Midlands League back in 1970 (which I didn't see).

And yet people moan when Premier League sides play weakened teams against them. Can't win, can they?

Football is a competitive sport, may the best team win: the best team won.
its hardly a 'match'. you would think 2 teams in a semi final would be a 'match'. So far apart in every way. Why? obscene amounts of money, if they ever run out of funds provided by the sponsors and premier league, they've got the King of Abu Dhabi with a rich oil country's wealth behind them
Burton did plays some good football at the start, but how can you criticise them? Ohh they didn't defend well enough? Best team = team with by far the most money. No honour in that.

Off topic I know, but brought back memories of European matches when I first moved to London in 1971. Went to Tottenham v Keflavik in the Europa League on 28/9 (they won 9 - 0), then the next night went to see Chelsea v Jeunesse Hautcharage in the Cup Winners Cup. They'd already won the away leg 8 - 0 and won the home leg 13 - 0. So I saw two games in two consecutive evenings where 22 goals were scored. Aah those wre the days ?

On the FA Cup thread over the weekend I bemoaned Premier League clubs resting their best players and whilst appreciating that Man Citys squad is somewhat better than the likes of Leicester or Fulham at least they take competitions seriously so I can't have a go at them for humiliating the smaller teams. Sorry

its hardly a 'match'. you would think 2 teams in a semi final would be a 'match'. So far apart in every way. Why? obscene amounts of money, if they ever run out of funds provided by the sponsors and premier league, they've got the King of Abu Dhabi with a rich oil country's wealth behind them
Burton did plays some good football at the start, but how can you criticise them? Ohh they didn't defend well enough? Best team = team with by far the most money. No honour in that.

The teams with the most money throughout history have mainly played at the top level. Incidentally, Manchester City record league defeat is against Burton Wanderers and 3 other clubs 0-8.

I think they should change the format of the competition, if indeed it is to be kept at all. It's not like it used to be. Teams aren't taking it seriously, which is why Burton made it to the semi. Then when they come up against a giant that takes it seriously, because they are smelling a trophy, this happens.
It's The Football League Cup. So it should be for teams that play in the Football League only, tell the Premier League to poke it.

I think John its the other teams they have played and beaten that deserve the disrespect when they have obviously have fielded weaken teams,
Villa and Forest to name but 2.