Good article about the human mind, science, religion blah, blah | Page 14 | Vital Football

Good article about the human mind, science, religion blah, blah

Green Tea - 21/11/2013 20:07

The whole start, middle and end of our journey on planet Earth is all recorded in the bible.

Do you just put your fingers in your ears and shout "La, la, la, la, la" as loud as you can when you get told something you don't want to hear?

The bible "tells" us how bad entered our lives, yes it's very creation, its birth...And it tells us the struggle/battle God(good) has against the bad. And that after the battle has ended God(good) prevails. The whole start, middle and end of our journey on planet Earth is all recorded in the bible.

Bit like Harry Potter innit

BringbakMON - 21/11/2013 20:42

The bible "tells" us how bad entered our lives, yes it's very creation, its birth...And it tells us the struggle/battle God(good) has against the bad. And that after the battle has ended God(good) prevails. The whole start, middle and end of our journey on planet Earth is all recorded in the bible.

Bit like Harry Potter innit
Oy yo pair don't spoil the ending for me ffs i ain't seen it yet :13:

ClivetheVillan - 21/11/2013 20:33

I think the bible is a documentation of life stories and events said not in a way to be taken literal due to the times etc and the meanings, i have no problem with that, but nobody can tell me they know for a fact god wrote the bible through man as humans have a tendency to tell porkies and add things they want to yet they could just say ''yeah but god told me to write it?'' How can you be so sure the Bible and its stories of Jesus Noah etc are true anybody could write that to live as legends?

I agree regarding the stories. Have you been reading my posts on this you would see I do.

I doubt they were telling porkies. It is the way they seen it. For instance Noah Ark flooding the earth. There world was so much smaller than ours. They didn't know all existed did as they could only cover a small area in their lives.

They wouldn't have known they would live on millions/billions of years. They wrote down what they perceived.

It actually and people don't say this is The Bible is what is called 'God inspired'

The spiritual life was very important to them back then, what you believe or don't believe in. So in their prayer and meditation as we call it, the stillness, they had thoughts and words come into their head which they recorded.

There has always been a long held need for people to know where they come from so it was attributed to God.

God remember is a mere word. It wasn't called God by them. Yahweh is 1 of them. El Shadai, Abba, Jehovah, Elohim are just a few.

As for The N.T there is documented evidence outside The Bible and there is The Dead seas scrolls that prove alot. However it is down to perception also.

I don't take the whole Bible as literal. I think Adam & Eve is a metaphor.

The first 5 books of The Bible were written by Moses. (The first 5 books are also known as The Torah) He was the 1st 1 to have a formal education so wrote up all the stories that had been passed down to him. The rest of the O.T is the story of the continuing of The 12 Tribes of Israel.

As for what The Bible is, it is simply The Book: Every book has to have a start a middle and an end. The start is the metaphor of how all began. The middle is what a fcuk up people make of the world and the end is when the earth finally ends.

Take it as you will on the books of The Bible as to how you believe or not on what it all means

For instance Noah Ark flooding the earth. There world was so much smaller than ours. They didn't know all existed did as they could only cover a small area in their lives.
----

But this dosnt reflect the same level of intelligence as the contents of the bible.

And if the story of Noah was only a small puddle; why such the graphic description in Genesis? And why is a global flood mentioned in pretty much all stories of ancient times in many differing cultures? Manu for instance...

This was a major catastrophe and shaped the Earth as we see it today.

Before the flood the world was described as a different place in biblical text, than that as after the flood. The average of age of man lowered dramatically, the landscape changed, what walks amongst us changed. The fossil record alone is great evidence that planet Earth had a major catastrophic flood like event. Fossilisation is occured through rapid burial of a living organism/it needs to be rapid otherwise the organism would decay, be eaten..Rapid burial and landslides would happen(as the bible describes) in a global flooding event. The fountains of the Earth "broke up" = the land was breaking, the Earth was being shaped as we see it today...Look at our planet, look at the evidence - valleys, water shaped surfaces everywhere, sea fossils on the highest peaks, fossils found globally on all continents..You are seriously under- estimating the intelligence behind biblical text...You think its a low educated story of a flooded lake by a man that didnt think the world would be any bigger than what he could see? Read Genesis again and understand its description of what went on - then look at the planet and the REAL evidence around us.

I have been reading your posts KK you may be right about the flood being a small one but to Noah and co etc that would have seemed immense world ending, but from the documentries i watch a lot of there was massive changes in the earth and we lost a lot of land, like the story of Atlantis etc something big went down a long time ago this not being religous etc i do agree, for instance on lake titikawa in peru there is sea horses and marine life living on top of one of the tallest mountains in the world many miles high which suggests a tsunami grand wave swept the lands in ancient times

The things that interest me is like the Indians who have ancient sacred texts saying humans are much older than modern man suggests, basically we live in cycles and history repeats itself and they fortold these events by the stars constollations that over time come back across the night sky and the same events happand to man they realised, im even going to stick my neck out and defend GT and other religous folk who think the worlds only ten thousend years old as this may be our cycle but we are supposed to be in the 6th cycle according to the mayans and hopi's ancient civilisations, who say we keep getting wiped back to basics by natural events on earth and we have to restart like the Atlantians thats why we can't understand how they built the pyramids etc we were clever and had technology back then but it gets forgot about same as when something hits us in this era like a solar flair no computers phones etc will work they get fried and life can be totally different and survival and we start allover again and so on.. i like this theory anyway.

Green Tea - 21/11/2013 23:56

For instance Noah Ark flooding the earth. There world was so much smaller than ours. They didn't know all existed did as they could only cover a small area in their lives.
----

But this dosnt reflect the same level of intelligence as the contents of the bible.

And if the story of Noah was only a small puddle; why such the graphic description in Genesis? And why is a global flood mentioned in pretty much all stories of ancient times in many differing cultures? Manu for instance...

This was a major catastrophe and shaped the Earth as we see it today.

Before the flood the world was described as a different place in biblical text, than that as after the flood. The average of age of man lowered dramatically, the landscape changed, what walks amongst us changed. The fossil record alone is great evidence that planet Earth had a major catastrophic flood like event. Fossilisation is occured through rapid burial of a living organism/it needs to be rapid otherwise the organism would decay, be eaten..Rapid burial and landslides would happen(as the bible describes) in a global flooding event. The fountains of the Earth "broke up" = the land was breaking, the Earth was being shaped as we see it today...Look at our planet, look at the evidence - valleys, water shaped surfaces everywhere, sea fossils on the highest peaks, fossils found globally on all continents..You are seriously under- estimating the intelligence behind biblical text...You think its a low educated story of a flooded lake by a man that didnt think the world would be any bigger than what he could see? Read Genesis again and understand its description of what went on - then look at the planet and the REAL evidence around us.

As usual your Science s inaccurate.

Mountains are still rising, at an almost imperceptible rate. Surely the simple answer is that they started at Sea level, and have always risen. This explains the fossils at altitude. No need to create a complicated story, just go with the evidence in front of you.

Also, if all you know was the area around the Med and the Black Sea, and that rose dramatically, then that would feel like a global event. As humanity were contained in this small area for thousands of years, that would answer the why and the where these myths came from.

In short, outside of the Bible, there is absolutely no proof of a global flood.

I never said it was the size of a puddle GT! Let's give you an example: The world today in size wise is the same size about that has it always has been. The shape of the different countries have changed because of sea erosion and all the things that cause coastal etc. change.

Now to me the world is very small today. It wasn't 40 years ago and a 100 years before that and so on the world seemed much larger in the mind. Why the change?

Today I have 2 youngsters living abroad: 1 in N-Z and 1 in Canada. We have Skype e-mail/social media and they can be in my living room in their time and our time with a click of a button with Skype. I and my daughter joke about whose turn it is to put the kettle on.

40 years ago technology such as we have now, was but out of sci-fi just as Star Trek. It would never happen. Yes we have aeroplane travel but that was only for the rich and famous or the Armed Forces and the like. So Canada & N-Z were psychology wise another world.

100 years and more back no planes no proper transport taking that back centuries if a person left to travel the others would generally not see them again for a long time if ever.

Trains, buses and so on did not exist back in Noah time. So when he flood came he would have thought it covered more of the world than it properly did. he wouldn't have known the world was as big as it was as his span of traveling would not have been as large as ours, even in the past 20 years.

I get what you mean Clive over time spans. The universe is our understanding is far older than the 10 thousand years. It runs into billions. However time is measured by man so it depends on how you are measuring it etc. as the number you will get. Then it can only be an average.

They had no clock as we know it back in those times. They only had a calendar of sorts back then in places like Jerusalem. The smaller places and deserts etc. had no idea of time.

Our calender, as it is today, only came into being in roughly 1700's. Here is a link to it that will tell you more about it. Before that the calender was nothing like what we have now, so again that is how dating can be changed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anno_Domini

No it dosnt explain why fossils are at great altitude at all..If a sea horse dies in the sea it will be eaten/decay. Fossilisation happens through "rapid burial"...A sea horse dying and sinking to the ocean floor is not rapid burial. Fossilisation needs very particular circumstances for it to happen. Do you seriously think ALL over the globe that small sea creatures were dying and just slowly sank in sediment before anything else had chance to eat it? Is that what you observe today?

Also when the likes of Everest was an ocean floor and for it to have risen at the rate it is rising now, you need far more years than the current age recorded.

The bible text is very clear - the fountains of the deep raised and broke up - in other words the mountains we see today were created at a far faster rate than the "now" calmer rate at which they rise. Its like pouring a can of guinness into your glass, as you 1st pour it you see activity at a far faster rate - this would be like where the small sea creatures were getting buried in the massive sand shifts, mud/sand slides as the ocean floors were breaking apart etc..

Your model is just looking at the Guinness as it had already settled and assuming it has always been that way. Earth and all it's past evidence dosnt even show this calm and settled land, with just small changes over time. Fossils on "every" continent, the cambrian explosion, the shappe surface of the Earth = it all denotes an Earth where a major catastrophic event occurred, just as described in Genesis.

Anyway we have been here before..You believe in your model, I will believe in mine...Its not a problem!

GT this is a great watch so too for you Heath about a race called the Anunaki in Babylon which pre existed thousends of years before the Bible and they say in ancient tablets they shw you saying we were created by these sky gods and they ruled us and genetically altered our DNA they even have DNA swirley drawings like it looks amazing stuff off the History channel

[youtube=NiVROBhwHUM]

Wurzel - 22/11/2013 08:52

Has anyone ever changed their opinion from one of these threads?

Heath has decided me and VOTN are O.K :14:

It is strange how often people say they dislike the 'religious' threads. Yet it is 1 of the longest topics that go on in this forum, by amount of pages (as anywhere)

Granted there is usually just a few of us keeping them going however it is something that will always be a big discussion that never ends.

It is interesting for those of us who are interested in the subject, to see how others think and perceive, even if I don't agree with them.

It is interesting to see people who share the same faith yet differ more than people that don't.

In many ways my views are similar to Heaths, yet`in other ways they are poles apart.

My views are very different to GT's who says he is Christian like me.

GT is a young creationist. I am not. I am a Un- fundamentalist Christian. Even in faith people will differ proving our uniqueness as well as what is the same

Green Tea - 22/11/2013 11:24

No it dosnt explain why fossils are at great altitude at all..If a sea horse dies in the sea it will be eaten/decay. Fossilisation happens through "rapid burial"...A sea horse dying and sinking to the ocean floor is not rapid burial. Fossilisation needs very particular circumstances for it to happen. Do you seriously think ALL over the globe that small sea creatures were dying and just slowly sank in sediment before anything else had chance to eat it? Is that what you observe today?

Also when the likes of Everest was an ocean floor and for it to have risen at the rate it is rising now, you need far more years than the current age recorded.

The bible text is very clear - the fountains of the deep raised and broke up - in other words the mountains we see today were created at a far faster rate than the "now" calmer rate at which they rise. Its like pouring a can of guinness into your glass, as you 1st pour it you see activity at a far faster rate - this would be like where the small sea creatures were getting buried in the massive sand shifts, mud/sand slides as the ocean floors were breaking apart etc..

Your model is just looking at the Guinness as it had already settled and assuming it has always been that way. Earth and all it's past evidence dosnt even show this calm and settled land, with just small changes over time. Fossils on "every" continent, the cambrian explosion, the shappe surface of the Earth = it all denotes an Earth where a major catastrophic event occurred, just as described in Genesis.

Anyway we have been here before..You believe in your model, I will believe in mine...Its not a problem!

Just because you say it is wrong does not make it wrong. Science shows how this model works, with every part of it covered by evidence and proof.

I think you need to revisit the Geological record if it works on the basis of the "Settled Guinness". That is exactly the opposite of what it shows us.

The bottom line, my model helps us explain the past and predict the future, which has been shown to be accurate. Yours shows us nothing except that the people that eventually write down the Bible didn't understand what was going on.

Simples.

kefkat - 22/11/2013 13:01

Wurzel - 22/11/2013 08:52

Has anyone ever changed their opinion from one of these threads?

Heath has decided me and VOTN are O.K :14:

It is strange how often people say they dislike the 'religious' threads. Yet it is 1 of the longest topics that go on in this forum, by amount of pages (as anywhere)

Granted there is usually just a few of us keeping them going however it is something that will always be a big discussion that never ends.

It is interesting for those of us who are interested in the subject, to see how others think and perceive, even if I don't agree with them.

It is interesting to see people who share the same faith yet differ more than people that don't.

In many ways my views are similar to Heaths, yet`in other ways they are poles apart.

My views are very different to GT's who says he is Christian like me.

GT is a young creationist. I am not. I am a Un- fundamentalist Christian. Even in faith people will differ proving our uniqueness as well as what is the same

:35: :35: :35:

Faith is great. Ignorance is dangerous.

For those of you who may be interested Saturday night Channel 5 is a series starting called The Bible at 9-pm. Here is the link to it, for those of you who are interested in looking in on it.

http://www.thebibleuk.org/episodes-beginnings