Going to Leeds? ..... | Page 8 | Vital Football

Going to Leeds? .....

So your dad was Arthur Horrocks wow he worked miracles back then and kept the club alive. I remember he took my referee exam in the boardroom at Springfield Park happy days.:clap::clap:
Thanks for the kind comments to which I wholeheartedly agree (although I may be a tad biased).

I have said before that no Arthur Horrocks at the club (gaining Football League status) then no Dave Whelan at the club. Don't get me wrong I appreciate as much as any other supporter everything that DW made possible but I am sure he wouldn't have got involved had we stayed in the Northern Premier League.

Massey probably had the game of his life, please sign a new contract:)

I said after the Norwich game that Robinson is improving after his injury and what a game he had, hopefully we can buy him(unlikely i know) as he could turn out to be our future leftback for a long time.

I think he will sign a new deal, usually players don't do anything media related when they're planning on leaving.

Fair play to him this season, he's improved. Stronger, also has more confidence in himself. Willing to back himself with the ball, keep working on his fitness levels and he'll do great next season.

Whilst he's had injury problems, which might show his body can't handle the intensity at this level. It could of been bad luck, any player can pick up an injury at any given time. Hopefully if we stay up and he signs a new deal, he will continue to play well and improve next season.

Really his contract should of been sorted after the Stoke game, when he proved he's capable at this level. Playing well in the first four games against Wednesday, Forest, Villa and Stoke. Any player that can handle themselves at this level should be rewarded with a deal that last's longer then the current season.

Forgot to mention, Robinson put an incredible shift in yesterday. Also had the energy to blast past everyone down the left side of the pitch. Battled and whilst beaten a few times, he worked tirelessly. Was great to watch.

Thanks for the kind comments to which I wholeheartedly agree (although I may be a tad biased).

I have said before that no Arthur Horrocks at the club (gaining Football League status) then no Dave Whelan at the club. Don't get me wrong I appreciate as much as any other supporter everything that DW made possible but I am sure he wouldn't have got involved had we stayed in the Northern Premier League.

Fully agreed, we owe Arthur Horrocks a great deal, that said unless I’m getting mixed up (increasingly likely these days) wasn’t he from Southport ....or did he just live there ?
Given we eventually took Southport’s League place it would have been somewhat ironic ....if....it was true

Fully agreed, we owe Arthur Horrocks a great deal, that said unless I’m getting mixed up (increasingly likely these days) wasn’t he from Southport ....or did he just live there ?
Given we eventually took Southport’s League place it would have been somewhat ironic ....if....it was true

I think Arthur lived around Scarisbrick and also owned Worldwide Travel in Mesnes St

I think Arthur lived around Scarisbrick and also owned Worldwide Travel in Mesnes St

True and true.

He was on the board at WAFC from the early 1950's until about 1984 ish when Freddie Pye bought the majority shareholding from Ken Cowap. Many of these years he was chairman and most certainly was on 2nd June 1978.

He did spend 1 season as a director at Southport FC after a fall out at Wigan over the infamous "pens" issue. I think that was the 1975/76 season.

Was it Arthur who delivered a half time "Churchill type" speech across the PA system that delayed the second half kicking off in the early eighties during difficult times?

Cracking photo...and happy ( belated ) birthday Will. :bday:

Thanks, Hindley. Was nice to celebrate the win with a first pint! ;)

I have a cousin who supports Leeds, though. He told me that his club have waited so long to be in this position, and that if we mucked it up for them he wouldn't speak to me next time we saw each other. So my birthday present may just have destroyed a familial relationship!

But then again, who needs cousins when you have the 'Tics? ;)

True and true.

He was on the board at WAFC from the early 1950's until about 1984 ish when Freddie Pye bought the majority shareholding from Ken Cowap. Many of these years he was chairman and most certainly was on 2nd June 1978.

He did spend 1 season as a director at Southport FC after a fall out at Wigan over the infamous "pens" issue. I think that was the 1975/76 season.
the pens was in gorden milne time here 1970 ken cowap was chairman