Going, going, gone | Vital Football

Going, going, gone

bfcpete

Vital Football Hero
Well, after 39 years, lots of interesting experiences / memories and working with some great people, I have left the office for the last time this afternoon. Retirement officially kicks in a couple of weeks. :giggle:

Well, I will still be doing a limited bit of national work to keep the brain active and pay for a few extra holidays, but I am looking forward to not having the stresses and strains of going into work every day, like I have done so for 39 years. Trips to Amsterdam, Budapest and New Zealand already organised and Paris and Ireland to follow.

Last edited:
Have you been to NZ before Pete? I lived there for 5 years so if you need any inside information don't hesitate to ask.

No, not been to NZ before. We are going next February and looking at the itinerary over the next few weeks. I may come back to you then

Yes I know but we want to go in their summer and we have been planning it for a couple of years. Eamonn can borrow my season ticket and of course you can watch online from abroad :thumbup:

February IS the best time to visit NZ - hot days and balmy nights. Let me know your itinerary Pete and I should be able to give you a few 'don't miss this' items that are sometimes not in the glossy brochures.

Spending my inheritance! :grinning:

Funny you should say that. Richard Wills sent me The Ladybird Guide to Retirement. Apparently, the other titles in the series are The Seven Day Weekend, The Cruise, The Bus Pass, Childminding and Spending the Inheritance :grinning:

My senior railcard arrived today. 30% off all fares. Free prescriptions from next week. When are they legalising cannabis? :grinning:

How old do you have to be to get free scripts in the UK? All pensions are means-tested in Oz....apart from if you're a politician of course!:mad::mad:

Free prescriptions at 60, but I have to wait to 66 for a state pension. You only get the full pension though if you have paid at least 35 years national insurance contributions. The state pension age is gradually being raised to 70 though

My pension age here is now 67 (my wife's is 66) but we never get free scripts.

Funnily enough, politicians can retire at any age and get full tax-payer funded superannuation that is equivalent to 75% of their final salary for life! Even if they've been trounced in an election and sacked by the Australian public, they still get it for life - plus a tax-payer funded car and office and free internal travel for life.

Rant over......for now!