Go To War Or Get The F*** Out! Villa v WBA 25/4 7pm Match Thread | Page 29 | Vital Football

Go To War Or Get The F*** Out! Villa v WBA 25/4 7pm Match Thread

Even I, who has been a 100% Dean loyalist, is getting concerned.

No way would I advocate sacking Smith but the summer transfer window is crucial to Dean's future. We can not have this poor form next year.

I'm not asking to break the top 4 next year but we have to be finishing between 9th and 5th and most importantly demonstrating consistency.
You have to look at us and look at West Ham they are no better than us, but they have a proven Premier League manager. At the end of the day you can get some of the best players at this level but if you can not set them up correctly manage a game in the right way your never going to be up there.

Last edited:
Again though, to work with what...half a squad most don't want to ever see on the pitch?

This has been much better from us but Ollie wasn't with us tonight.

If we are seeing the same at this stage next season after more big investment to give us a complete squad of options and real Plan B's and DS sticks to the same, I don't think many would disagree with you.

But we've seen the progress we wanted this year and almost to a man/woman everyone agrees had the season been reversed they'd be happy.
I just don't feel he has the tactical nouse Mike... team selection questionable, use of subs questionable.... plan B..... can't always see what his plan A is.... He is supposed to have a better group of players than we had last season, but if you take away his good start to the season, we would be relegation candidates right now... results even before Jack was injured were on the slide...But we will see if your right...

Good idea of Smith bring on a striker to try and save the game. Scored, had a shot saved, hit he post to prove Smith right. NO IT PROVED HIM WRONG. Give Davis a proper chance. He will score goals. He is not the player he was. He's much stronger, much better. Start him regularly for the rest of the season.

This game ironically showed why he isn't a goalscorer as he should have had at least 2 if not 3 goals. But still he should be used a CF who creates chances for the 2nd striker. Like someone suggested, let us try Wasteley, and KD upfront with Ollie on the wing.

It's unjustified to sack Smith. Because although we all see a decline, he has technically improved, showed great glimpses early on, and our shyte form coincides with an injured Jack and out of form Barkley. We're sitting comfortable in mid table and im sure that's what the debrief from the bosses would have been..... however they'll have one eye on performances, and with with more money being spent in the summer, I think their patience will only last until around November/Dec if we don't improve to the the next level.

What a weird one. Sharpest going forward we've looked in weeks, chucked one in the net for them and then ground away at them for the rest of the game.

Mings and Konsa need to have a bit of a chat after that. Errors like that are from unearned complacency.

Well done Keinan on his first Prem goal. Could've had a hat trick.

Brilliant to see Wes. So desperate for his first touch he ends up being bollocked by Deano to get in the area.

Barkley I thought was really good in patches.

McGinn tireless but gave the ball away loads again.

Baggies played out their skins but we should be beating them.
Fair assessment.

Smith is naive if he thinks this team doesn't need a further injection of talent. McGinn and Luiz are clueless in midfield. AEG, Bert and Trez are woefully inconsistent. 5 players started today who should be on the bench Elmo, McGinn, Luiz, Bert and AEG, granted Elmo usually is on the bench.

We did more of what I've wanted to see today which getting Targett into advanced positions. Its bad that our best attacking threat without Grealish is our Left Back.

Davis isn't the answer by any stretch but I think he's earned a start today and against Fulham. We're clueless and rudderless without Grealish. At least if we stick Davis up with Watkins we might win 50% of the hoofs out of the backline. Mings and Konsa are right to bypass midfield. McGinn for some reason can play 40 or 50 yard cross field passes but can't find a man 10 yards away. Luiz just isn't going to thread the needle and has been a defensive liability recently.

Good idea of Smith bring on a striker to try and save the game. Scored, had a shot saved, hit he post to prove Smith right. NO IT PROVED HIM WRONG. Give Davis a proper chance. He will score goals. He is not the player he was. He's much stronger, much better. Start him regularly for the rest of the season.

That's one way of looking at it although giving Keinan 8 minutes suggests it was more of a desperate lob rather than a strategic ploy and Davis pulled it out of the bag. The right sub made 20-30 minutes too late. As for him giving Davis a fair chance I agree. I criticised Smith's blatant favouritism towards Watkins weeks ago. I am a Watkins fan but he is guaranteed 90 minutes every week while Davis gets scraps. It's bad squad management. Without Grealish we should scrap this system and start them both.

He was absolutely fucking shit against Man City. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.
Sorry, but if you start measuring his performance on the basis of what he did against Man City that is the definition of unfair in my book. City outclass everyone most games, and strikers are left stranded. He's looked good in the few minutes he's got in most games. Add them all together and he's our top scorer per minute pkayed thi

I just don't feel he has the tactical nouse Mike... team selection questionable, use of subs questionable.... plan B..... can't always see what his plan A is.... He is supposed to have a better group of players than we had last season, but if you take away his good start to the season, we would be relegation candidates right now... results even before Jack was injured were on the slide...But we will see if your right...

Regardless of the criticisms above he will deservedly get another season due to our improved defence. That has saved his bacon this season.