Glenn Whelan Thread | Page 11 | Vital Football

Glenn Whelan Thread

Whelan was maybe the most likely of those three to get another year, maybe Jedi the least. But all played their part in our promotion. All best to all.

Think it's a sign the club knows where it is going. They know the shape of the squad they want, the sorts of players they need, and probably the names. It's bold, but if the confidence is there why not?

Wheelan is the only one of the released players that has slightly surprised me. Thought he may have got another 12 months - if for nothing else but his experience. I agree with you McParland, that it’s a big sign of where we’re going. No signings officially yet - but the amount and quality of players being let go really excites me. It tells me that the players coming in will be of a high quality and that we either have massive plans...... or we’re screwed!! ? UTV.

At the same time as Eden Hazard was being confirmed as a Real Madrid player, Christian Eriksen was losing out in a challenge with Glenn Whelan.

There is life in the old dog yet.

Good luck to Glenn, I’m a little surprised we didn’t keep him actually as I thought there would be a role for him off the bench at times and certainly in the dressing room. If we have higher aspirations than to finish in the bottom 5 team then we need to find a new starter who is more mobile, quicker and better at moving the ball, but his contribution in the 2nd half of this season was outstanding - and I was one of his bigger critics.

Good luck to him, looks like him and his family took well to the club and he eventually contributed to get what the club wanted.

He’ll do a job somewhere and may have a decent career off the field at some point, hearing about his influence in the dressing room. Thanks Glenn!

I do wonder if there's a much 'less' contract on the table for 6/12 months but the plan is to see what other interest he gets this summer first in terms of a longer future at a club - another 2/3 yrs maybe to really wind his career down.

Great pro and well-deserved to get another deal. If he's anywhere near the player for them as he was last season for us he'll be their best player!

Just reminiscing about the playoffs with my lad and remembered Glenn’s mishap that led to the smethwick goal at VP.

Wonder if our warm wishes would be so effusive if we’d crashed out because of it?

Just reminiscing about the playoffs with my lad and remembered Glenn’s mishap that led to the smethwick goal at VP.

Wonder if our warm wishes would be so effusive if we’d crashed out because of it?
In
all fairness when he made that mistake the entire stadium started chanting his name so for the first time we were not fickle

In
all fairness when he made that mistake the entire stadium started chanting his name so for the first time we were not fickle

It was more slip than error, at the time I was fully supportive of him. If we were playing Scunthorpe in the league this season then who knows how charitable we’d all feel about it ?