Glenn Whelan Thread | Page 10 | Vital Football

Glenn Whelan Thread

Its all getting a bit emotional in chez OVB thIs afternoon. They are mostly part of the journey and feel like family

No room for sentiment in the Greed League.

Another professional who always gave his all and hopefully enjoyed his swansong at the greatest club he ever played for. That's according to his wife, who seemed to be a classy gal herself.

Bon voyage Whelo - part of the solution not the problem. :clap::clap::utv:

Not surprised really, but I would have been happy if he got another year.

Another one of the class of 2019, that helped us get back where we belong.

Cheers Whelo, all the best.

Thanks for the efforts Whelan. Definitely a part of the reason for our promotion.

I wish Glen the very best for the future. Played his part in our promotion. We're going to miss all this experience that we're letting go I feel.

Never forget that awful penalty against Preston - totally responsible for the chance to be promoted this year. :bow:

Could not have foreseen his improvement after that. Good luck for the future and thanks for all your contributions this season.

Glen whelan was brilliant this season but only because he had the chance to play under Dean smith, that opportunity had an effect on a lot of players and we all wish them good luck for the future and thanks for being part of the rebirth of our club, we ain't feckin about now and I predict a exciting future ahead.

Did well for us, age wasn't on his side but did wonder if he'd get a final year. But maybe it's best if DS takes the opportunity to do a total revamp of the sort he needs. All the best Whelo.

I agree, it does make you wonder what was going on under Bruce for someone to go from so off the pace, to so trustworthy overnight.

Good look Glen, would expect him to be at Albion next year (will be manager there at this rate !)

Not surprised.

Good as he has been this season it's a different ball game next season. Time may well have caught up with him.

As it is......

Fcuking outstanding Glenn. Thank you. Leader. More vocal than JT last year apparently and the job done on the pitch was massively maligned by too many.

Can't thank you enough for your efforts in getting us back.

Good luck. Glad that you and your family were so happy with the time you spent with us.

Echo what MD says. It shows the coaching ability Smith has to get so much improvement out of him. Since February Whelan has been outstanding.

Terrific pro , but not PL standard I think

Echo what MD says. It shows the coaching ability Smith has to get so much improvement out of him. Since February Whelan has been outstanding.

Terrific pro , but not PL standard I think
The force is weakening within him. :sorry:

If it all goes tits up next year (touch wood it won't), this will be the one I look back on.

As others have pointed out, there's a significant amount of experience now lacking from the squad.

Whelan was maybe the most likely of those three to get another year, maybe Jedi the least. But all played their part in our promotion. All best to all.

Think it's a sign the club knows where it is going. They know the shape of the squad they want, the sorts of players they need, and probably the names. It's bold, but if the confidence is there why not?

Slightly unfortunate...

Glenn Whelan found out he had been released by Aston Villa by a call from a journalist following the club's promotion to the Premier League.

"There was only one disappointment for me. I went away on the Tuesday with the family and when I landed back in here on Tuesday I had two missed calls, one from a journalist saying I'd been released and one from the manager to give him a call.

But fair play to Glenn:

There were no hard feelings - I've been in the game too long to hold grudges. I want to wish Aston Villa all the best, thank them for my time there, thank the fans, everyone that was involved. We had some good times."

However, Whelan feels his body is still in good shape to play at a high standard and when asked if he would continue his career he joked: "Definitely. I've just had Real Madrid on the phone."

:clap:

http://bit.ly/2MpxMQB