Glen Roeder | Page 2 | Vital Football

Glen Roeder

The signing of Paul Baker from Motherwell for £40,000 in the January was pivotal as he chipped in with a few vital goals especially when Nicky Forster was injured for three months! Also, the loan of Paul Ritchie from Dundee worked well the month he was at the club!

The signing of Paul Baker from Motherwell for £40,000 in the January was pivotal as he chipped in with a few vital goals especially when Nicky Forster was injured for three months! Also, the loan of Paul Ritchie from Dundee worked well the month he was at the club!
What a goal from Baker vs Halifax Town in the do or die game!

I agree with you wholeheartedly Phil, in situations like this, any personal grudges or resentment needs to be put to one side and say out loud "he was one of us and will remain so, ad infinitum".

RIP to Roeder , 65 is considered young/tragic these days , however a life of fame (in football terms) certainly left more of a mark than the rest of us might leave.

The 'he was one of us' is an opinion many Gills fans at that time might not share.
He was literally boo'ed , with the crowd chanting 'Judas'
I'm not being disrespectful, just saying as it is/was.

RIP Glenn.

Not only a very good managerial career, he was a fantastic player. Take a look at some of his YouTube clips doing the rounds of the “Roeder Shuffle”. A fullback with those skills is very rare, especially back then.

15 years battling a brain tumour is not good. Maybe he’s at peace now.

You are very lucky. I saw games regularly in those games and we were terrible. The (in)famous back pass routine at Northampton was typical.

I was never sure whether Glenn saved us or was part of the problem. More importantly, 65 is no age at all and it's a terrible shame the long illness he had. RIP.
Wasn't this also the season both Butler and Breen scored own goals in the away game at Barnet? One of them would've made any striker worth his salt proud!

Tough years to be a gills fan. Ultimately he kept us in the football league that season. Objective passed.

65 a terribly young age. Condolences to his family.

RIP Glenn.

Not only a very good managerial career, he was a fantastic player. Take a look at some of his YouTube clips doing the rounds of the “Roeder Shuffle”. A fullback with those skills is very rare, especially back then.

15 years battling a brain tumour is not good. Maybe he’s at peace now.

My recollection was that he was a centre back, or sweeper as they were often called in those days. The more elegant one next to the big centre half.

Also gained some fame as Gazza's minder, with the thankless task of trying to keep the Geordie one on the straight and narrow.

From Newcastle captain to manager, via Gazza's minder, thoughtful Glenn Roeder will be much missed - John Gibson - Chronicle Live

I wasn't young in 1992/3 but such was the drama and angst surrounding our club that I became a teenage fanatic again, convinced that my support was essential for survival. I went to far more games than was sensible. As others have recounted there was a degree of terrified fun to be had as each game seemed like the divide between survival and oblivion. The team were collectively not good enough for the division but battled for all they were worth and the fans largely supported them through thick and thin. Managers in charge of struggling clubs get abuse unless they bring instant and unwavering success and as valencia has recorded Roeder didn't buck that trend.

Someone suggested that Richardson might have saved us anyway. I liked Richardson and his romantic approach. His easy blarney could sway one to believe the impossible but his record that season was desperately awful. He was taking us down and with some momentum. He was in charge for the first dozen league games and we one just one of them. Roeder didn't produce a miracle but he did win 8 in his 30 games, a win rate of 26.66% against Damian's 8.33%. Roeder kept us up all right. Credit where credit is due. That's why Watford took a punt and he didn't manage at our level again.

Roeder didn't produce a miracle but he did win 8 in his 30 games, a win rate of 26.66% against Damian's 8.33%. Roeder kept us up all right. Credit where credit is due. That's why Watford took a punt and he didn't manage at our level again.

I actually think we took a punt on him as well, as he had not managed before and joined as player manager. Wikipedia says he actually played 6 games for us, but I have no recollection of that. Did he make a difference on the pitch?

Most teams that sack their manager when they are in peril will go for a very experienced firefighter type like Allardyce or Pulis. We did that later with Ternent succeeding Hess.

Glenn Roeder did the job in the end and we were grateful to him, Paul Baker and Tony Eeles but our bums have never been so squeaky.

As someone who started watching GFC at the end of the 60s, I found the early 90s somewhat similar. I have never been particularly involved in the personality of managers but have always had admiration for the lesser talented players who gave their all regardless of results, and theses two periods personified that to a large degree. Due to my slightly obtuse nature and support for the underdog, those times were perhaps more enjoyable than most in my 50 years of support. Regular success brings with it a sense of entitlement which does not sit easily with supporting the Gills. I'd rather travel in hope than expectation, that way the inevitable disappointment that GFC will deliver with regularity is easier to deal with. It also makes the times when they surprise you with unexpected achievement so much better.
That aside, it is always sad to hear of the death of a person younger than yourself with whose career you shared a brief segment. I am grateful to him in that season for turning hope into achievement and maintaining our league status.

The day of the Halifax Town match I was moving from my flat in Redhill to a new flat with a mate from work in Horley! I gave him my keys to get the move done and fucked off to football!

I actually think we took a punt on him as well, as he had not managed before and joined as player manager. Wikipedia says he actually played 6 games for us, but I have no recollection of that. Did he make a difference on the pitch?

Most teams that sack their manager when they are in peril will go for a very experienced firefighter type like Allardyce or Pulis. We did that later with Ternent succeeding Hess.

Glenn Roeder did the job in the end and we were grateful to him, Paul Baker and Tony Eeles but our bums have never been so squeaky.

We did make a punt on him and it worked out for both parties. I remember him playing and looking his age alongside very young team mates. He had the courage to play himself when we were in a hole because two very young centre backs were being bullied. Breen and Butler went on to have good careers and he brought them on. Crucially Roeder then had the courage to move aside and trust in a very young group of players. Neil Smith has said that Roeder gave him the armband because he trusted him as a player and he believed he would lead from the front. That was a good call, Smudger was 21.

I knew Glenn and his wife and met his Son and Daughter as well. Went to his home in Newmarket before the Guineas meet a couple of times.

He was a nice guy his wife is lovely and know she will be devastated. He wasn't one for sentimentality about clubs. But he did have great friends in the game.

Arsene Wenger was regular dinner guest and he loved Andy Hessenthaler he gave him his break in football.

It should be noted that Ferguson and Wenger held him in very high regard. Told me about John Stones when he was an academy player and said he would play for England.