Glen Roeder | Vital Football

Glen Roeder

Very sad news. Will be forever remembered as the manager that kept us in the league somewhat against the odds.

Tragic news, following a terrible illness. RIP.

Being realistic, he was not brought in mid season (appointed 1 August) so our brush with relegation and survival "against the odds" was his responsibility, but I accept our resources were very limited then.

I never really took to Glen Roader, and after that diabolical 92-93 season was surprised he got poached by Watford - though he later managed even higher, so clearly had something about him. The peak of his playing career was before my time, I've only seen Youtube clips of his time at QPR and Newcastle - by all accounts he was a classy defender with an eye for goal. So tragic that he's been plagued by health problems these last few years. RIP

Tragic news, following a terrible illness. RIP.

Being realistic, he was not brought in mid season (appointed 1 August) so our brush with relegation and survival "against the odds" was his responsibility, but I accept our resources were very limited then.

Roeder took over on 26 october as player/ coach after Damien Richardson was sacked on 8 October!

Roeder took over on 26 october as player/ coach after Damien Richardson was sacked on 8 October!

Thanks for the correction. I was referring to the dates on this site:
Gillingham Manager History | Past & Present | Soccer Base

On second glance, it is clearly inaccurate as it says Richardson was appointed in 1989 but left after Roeder !

I don't think Glenn Roeder was interested in endearing himself to the fans. Wasn't he the one that did not want to allow some fans who had broken down on the road to travel back on the team coach, even though there was space?

Thanks for the correction. I was referring to the dates on this site:
Gillingham Manager History | Past & Present | Soccer Base

On second glance, it is clearly inaccurate as it says Richardson was appointed in 1989 but left after Roeder !

I don't think Glenn Roeder was interested in endearing himself to the fans. Wasn't he the one that did not want to allow some fans who had broken down on the road to travel back on the team coach, even though there was space?

No worries, after Richardson was sacked, centre half Paul Clark took over as caretaker until Roeder was appointed!

No reservations whatsoever Roeder was good for Gillingham FC. We were lucky to be able to employ him early in his managerial career and he kept an inadequate team in the league. He didn't do us down, he left for a bigger and better club. A much nicer man than other mangers that some fans found agreeable. Illness robbed him of what might have been a fine mangerial career, he was a good player.

Sad news RIP Glenn .I was regularly working Saturdays in that era and living in London with a new mortgage so I saw very little of those days.
You are very lucky. I saw games regularly in those games and we were terrible. The (in)famous back pass routine at Northampton was typical.

I was never sure whether Glenn saved us or was part of the problem. More importantly, 65 is no age at all and it's a terrible shame the long illness he had. RIP.

You are very lucky. I saw games regularly in those games and we were terrible. The (in)famous back pass routine at Northampton was typical.

I was never sure whether Glenn saved us or was part of the problem. More importantly, 65 is no age at all and it's a terrible shame the long illness he had. RIP.
That was funny.Unfortunately looking back I missed the era .When I did come down we were always terrible .So it did not encourage a quick return. It may have been too soon after the most exciting games in our history incredibly we had gone for Keith Peacock era to total destruction in just a few short years.

We were terrible but it was somehow fun and we were all in it together ( perhaps it was being young) - these were the BMH days and there was no social media of course

Always sad (scary) to hear of someone the same age as me pass away. I don't think he did much more than Richardson would have done had he stayed at the club. We certainly didn't play any better under him. Lack of money and playing half the youth team didn't help us. As Colburn says above there was a genuine feeling that we were all in this together at that time.