Gills vs. Paid the bills | Page 6 | Vital Football

Gills vs. Paid the bills

Taken my time before posting as last night my frustrations were "acute". On reflection the only thing I'd add to the many valid observations already posted in here is that we brought in some "senior experienced" players to help out and for me, in those moments that "absolutely mattered" last night Proctor, Keane and Gardner lacked the composure that I would have expected from players of their age / experience to hit the bloody target.
It's more than a little frustrating to see the likes of Crankshaw, Jolley etc forced out to make way for more experienced players when they then failed to deliver when it mattered most. I get (and agree with) the observations around general all-round play (certainly for Proctor anyway), but it's those "moments" that decide games and last night they let us down IMO.

Bloody hell man, i suggest to start to read and digest my posts from now on, ive been saying that since bloody January, its not the first time these clowns have let us down, they are only here for a wage the sooner they are shown the door the better.

Bloody hell man, i suggest to start to read and digest my posts from now on, ive been saying that since bloody January, its not the first time these clowns have let us down, they are only here for a wage the sooner they are shown the door the better.

Lol, only you could turn someone holding an apparent similar opinion to yourself into a dig T&C. I salute your ingenuity sir :tophat:

Why haven't you been headhunted by Liam or Gregor...or maybe you have been & your not letting us know...🤔

Poor management from them two, we could see the young lads were turning the corner and getting to grips with League 1, only to be shipped out and a load of crocks/journey men brought in to replace them.

One almighty fuck up and we are no better off, the young lads would have run through a brick wall for the club given the chance.

Some utterly depressing names being banded about by King as next manager. If those are the options, I hope we go foreign and bring in some complete random that no one has ever heard of before. At least that way none of us can be disappointed until the first game.

The playing staff is key, as mentioned a 20-25 goal striker will be crucial. We sorted that nice and early in L1 with Grigg and we'll need to do the same this time. Build a team around a goalscorer, two big bastard central defenders who win every header (ala Burn, Dunkley), a CM organiser who can dictate play (ala Morsy), and a creative pacy attacking player who can provide service to the goalscorer. Get those five players and we'll be fine next season.

When you are in League 2 you won't be getting anyone with a track record of success at a higher level even from abroad.

But it wasnt long ago we needed a new manager and I was looking at the options and a largely unheard of Chris Wilder was doing well at Northampton in L2. At the time he hadn't really done anything and wasnt anywhere near the conversation of who we could get in. But look at what he went on to achieve - so name value isn't everything - there are probably some gems that not many people will know yet.

Alternatively some of the names like Jackett, Wellens, Lambert etc have promotions on their CV - so even though they struggled most recently they have shown in the past they know what it takes. Remember Jewell was garbage at Sheffield Wednesday before he did so well for us. Sometimes managers can be kings at one club but struggle at another. So I wouldn't rule out those types either.

Last edited:
You've got it the opposite way round, Richardson is not a manager, he's a coach and caretaker who wanted Sheridan in so he didnt have to take the job - he's only the boss now because no one else could come in due to having no owners. Changing a manager isn't always the answer but hiring a manager when you don't have one is a step in the right direction. It's nothing to do with last night's result it's about next season.

He is almost certainly going to join Cook in the summer and we will need to hire a new manager then regardless. Keeping him if the new manager is available now is completely counter productive as it hinders next seasons preparation and results and performances under Richardson aren't good enough that it's worth doing that to keep him here another few weeks out of some type of sentimentality. We aren't sacking him we are freeing him to join Cook, speeding up what he was going to end up doing anyway. Keeping him is short term thinking.

Whoever the new manager is they are likely going to inherit just 3 players under contract - he is going to need to sign about 15+ new players . It's going to be a huge rebuild - if you wait until May June before you start to interview and hire a new boss he wont get a chance to assess if he wants to keep any of the out of contract players in training, and you are asking them to get their coaching staff in place, recruitment team and immediately start to sign players with no time for much preparation- again that is short term thinking.

You bring the new boss in now so he has the maximum amount of time to get organised and prepare for a massive recruitment drive so we aren't trying to play catch up to other teams who already have everything in place and have made contact with agents and have their shortlists drawn up. This is long term thinking

No one suggested brining in a manager now and then replacing them again in the summer.

The smart thing to do is what Sharpe did with Caldwell - if the new boss is available get him in early to set us up for success the following year and if we stay up that is a welcome bonus as it doesnt look like we will under the current regime anyway so nothing lost. You might even have a better chance of attracting a boss knowing they could potentially be a L1 side rather than waiting until we are definitely a L2 side if they know they will get next season either way.

There is no long term benefit keeping Richardson and lots of long benefit in getting next seasons preparations under way as soon as possible. There is little short term benefit keeping Richardson and maybe some short term benefit to bring in new manager early.

How are you so sure that the managerial target we want for next season is available now? If he isn't then what is the point of replacing Richardson. Secondly, if he is available there is no guarantee he would keep us up and by the time we get him in there might be 4 or 5 games left so would that person want a relegation on their cv. Thirdly, I'd rather have Richardson than probably all the names you've quoted on this thread. With the players available did we really expect us to be cruising to safety? With the squad we have and the injuries we have and the general shit of admin we've gone through I expected us to be adrift at the bottom. We ain't down yet, don't give up on Richardson like you did in Cook.

Can’t comment on the others but I’m reliably informed that Ritchie Wellens is terrible. Good friend of mine is a Salford fan, watches every game on the iFollow, was chuffed he was sacked. Gary Neville said their pre match warm ups were embarrassing and training was akin to a fun kick about. Neville, Scholes and co wouldn’t sack someone after six months if it wasn’t really bad.

I want someone exciting, someone with a great personality like Cook had who will lift the club and sell season tickets, not another boring miserable merry go round gaffer like Jackett or Grayson. Someone we can commit to for the next three years at least. I hope the new people in charge have a plan.

How are you so sure that the managerial target we want for next season is available now? If he isn't then what is the point of replacing Richardson. Secondly, if he is available there is no guarantee he would keep us up and by the time we get him in there might be 4 or 5 games left so would that person want a relegation on their cv. Thirdly, I'd rather have Richardson than probably all the names you've quoted on this thread. With the players available did we really expect us to be cruising to safety? With the squad we have and the injuries we have and the general shit of admin we've gone through I expected us to be adrift at the bottom. We ain't down yet, don't give up on Richardson like you did in Cook.

You admitted yourself Richardson wont likely be here long. The amount of work to do preparing for the busiest and possibly most important summer in the clubs history is huge. As you originally said we should be looking long term not short term and if the candidate we want is available now it would be very smart to get a head start.

We could've kept Malky and hoped he'd come good but we wisely opted to give Caldwell the extra time to assess the squad in training and start his scouting 6 weeks early and it was rewarded with the title the following season.

The playing staff is key, as mentioned a 20-25 goal striker will be crucial. We sorted that nice and early in L1 with Grigg and we'll need to do the same this time. Build a team around a goalscorer, two big bastard central defenders who win every header (ala Burn, Dunkley), a CM organiser who can dictate play (ala Morsy), and a creative pacy attacking player who can provide service to the goalscorer. Get those five players and we'll be fine next season.

I think we also might need a new keeper.

So we need the equivalent of John Filan, Dan Burn, Chey Dunkley, Sam Morsy, Will Grigg, and perhaps a Victor Moses type of player just to start with.
I hope the new owner has a bulging wallet C_Latic.

You admitted yourself Richardson wont likely be here long. The amount of work to do preparing for the busiest and possibly most important summer in the clubs history is huge. As you originally said we should be looking long term not short term and if the candidate we want is available now it would be very smart to get a head start.

We could've kept Malky and hoped he'd come good but we wisely opted to give Caldwell the extra time to assess the squad in training and start his scouting 6 weeks early and it was rewarded with the title the following season.
Again, you're presuming the candidate we want for the long term is available now. Plus, why get him in now to work with players who won't be there next season. Do you think bringing someone in now would keep us up.

We can still plan ahead with a new manager now and identify targets. In fact we probably already are but he won't start until next season. Don't have to have the new man on to start planning

I think we also might need a new keeper.

So we need the equivalent of John Filan, Dan Burn, Chey Dunkley, Sam Morsy, Will Grigg, and perhaps a Victor Moses type of player just to start with.
I hope the new owner has a bulging wallet C_Latic.
Or a Graham Lancashire, Graeme Jones, Steve Morgan, Pat McGibbon, Kevin Sharpe, David Lowe, Roberto Martinez and Isidro Diaz.

We can still plan ahead with a new manager now and identify targets. In fact we probably already are but he won't start until next season. Don't have to have the new man on to start planning

A new manager can't plan if he isn't in position. If he wants to bring in recruitment team he has worked with before they can't be hired or start planning if he is not hired first. Plus if he wants to arrange a specific pre season schedule or other things like that. If you are arriving in May or June every other team will have their plans established or at least not a full rebuild of the club - you're playing catch up from the day they walk in.

You can't do that much planning if the main decision maker on the football side of things isn't here.

You have to look long term not delay everything to keep a caretaker for another month because you like him - if there is an option to immediately move forward. You accused me of only thinking short term but that is the definition of your position not mine.

No, but any new manager worth his salt would insist on some input. We could do worse than the current one, presuming he wants it and isn't going elsewhere in a couple of months.

As I've said I'm sure he will be going at the end of the season but he deserves the chance to try and see the job through to the end of the season. In the meantime plans go on behind the scenes for next season, with or without Richardson.

A new manager can't plan if he isn't in position. If he wants to bring in recruitment team he has worked with before they can't be hired or start planning if he is not hired first. Plus if he wants to arrange a specific pre season schedule or other things like that. If you are arriving in May or June every other team will have their plans established or at least not a full rebuild of the club - you're playing catch up from the day they walk in.

You can't do that much planning if the main decision maker on the football side of things isn't here.

You have to look long term not delay everything to keep a caretaker for another month because you like him - if there is an option to immediately move forward. You accused me of only thinking short term but that is the definition of your position not mine.

Wrong. If we have a target for next season who will be available then, plans will be put in place now with him having an input. Just because that person isn't in place now there is no reason why contact and planning won't have gone on already. Very naive to think otherwise.

As I've said I think Richardson deserves the chance to try and see out the job until the end of the season. Meanwhile plans will be being put together now behind the scenes for next season with plan a for lge 1 and plan b for lge 2, more than likely with a different manager set to be in charge.
Mal Brannigan's comments in the Wigan Rugby Post seem to confirm that. Makes sense to me.

Again, you're presuming the candidate we want for the long term is available now. Plus, why get him in now to work with players who won't be there next season. Do you think bringing someone in now would keep us up.

I've said 'if' multiple times, it's not an assumption it's a premise of the discussion on a message board.

If we have our heart set on someone who won't come until the summer then you have to wait but the discussion is entirely based on if you could make the move now should we.

I don't know if a new manager would keep us up or not, but I considering Richardson isn't a manager and has struggled to get us organised defensively and get the team to perform in most of the winnable games - a new approach and fresh ideas isnt exactly a turn off. I'd like to think a new managerial target would be a decent coach and motivator - otherwise why would we want them in the first place - so in theory you would think they have a better chance than a caretaker coach who only had the job by default.

But if the damage is already done and not enough time to fix the existing faults there will be nothing lost and we've got a head start on next season.

If the option is there to hire the preferred candidate now it's a wise move.

Some managers prefer their own brand of player to play their preferred system...if we have already ascertained that Leam is off then I think it incredibly short sighted not to appoint the new boss immediately irrespective of what division we are in....contacts sounded out etc. etc.

To limp on with a guy who's off doesn't give the correct impression to his charges to pull their tripe out.