Gills vs. Paid the bills | Page 7 | Vital Football

Gills vs. Paid the bills

Wrong. If we have a target for next season who will be available then, plans will be put in place now with him having an input. Just because that person isn't in place now there is no reason why contact and planning won't have gone on already. Very naive to think otherwise.

As I've said I think Richardson deserves the chance to try and see out the job until the end of the season. Meanwhile plans will be being put together now behind the scenes for next season with plan a for lge 1 and plan b for lge 2, more than likely with a different manager set to be in charge.
Mal Brannigan's comments in the Wigan Rugby Post seem to confirm that. Makes sense to me.

I fear it is you being very naive. If someone wasn't available to be hired now that is most likely because they currently have another job. If they have another job and havent signed a contract with us they won't be colluding in secret about transfer targets for us when they are busy with their current job. Some degree of tapping up always goes on in football but not that much. You can only plan so much without a manager in position as all football decisions go through them.

If a manager we want is available now and are willing to come in L2 they'd almost certainly want to get a head start on the huge job in hand. They won't get blamed for a relegation in this position they would get a free hit and would have a contract for next season regardless.

You're argument is effectively put next seasons preperations on hold because you want to delay a caretakers departure by a month or so. Incredibly short sighted.

Last edited:
Not really. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Cook only come in after the season had ended. We continued until the end of the season with what we had and formulated plans in the meantime for the following season and identified the correct target rather than rushing in. My memory is a bit hazy but I'm sure that turned out okay.

Seem to remember a similar clamouring to get rid of PC ( myself included) - it looked almost inevitable that he'd be sacked & looked what happened - turned it around, made a team fight for it's life & had the team playing like terriers giving us a grandstand finish to the end of the season which only fell short due to a dodgy free kick that led to a Fulham goal.....whose to say history can'trepeat itself but with the twist of us staying up on a dodgy decision......stranger things have happened 😉

I fear it is you being very naive. If someone wasn't available to be hired now that is most likely because they currently have another job. If they have another job and havent signed a contract with us they won't be colluding in secret about transfer targets for us when they are busy with their current job. Some degree of tapping up always goes on in football but not that much. You can only plan so much without a manager in position as all football decisions go through them.

If a manager we want is available now and are willing to come in L2 they'd almost certainly want to get a head start on the huge job in hand. They won't get blamed for a relegation in this position they would get a free hit and would have a contract for next season regardless.

You're argument is effectively put next seasons preperations on hold because you want to delay a caretakers departure by a month or so. Incredibly short sighted.

What I'm saying is that the new owners have said themselves they have medium to long term plans for the club. Let's say for arguments sake that's 5-10 years. Therefore, if they're thinking so long term like that as they've suggested they are it would be foolish of them to rush in and appoint a new manager in their first couple of weeks. It would be prudent of them to take their time and rebuild from wherever we find ourselves at the end of the season that is good football and business sense. If they're looking at this long term they're probably thinking it might take us a couple of years to see any forward momentum so they've got that time to get things right so no need for knee jerk decisions now. That's what the phoenix group seem to be implying and I agree with them. How is that short term thinking.

Not really. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Cook only come in after the season had ended. We continued until the end of the season with what we had and formulated plans in the meantime for the following season and identified the correct target rather than rushing in. My memory is a bit hazy but I'm sure that turned out okay.

Your memory does appear to be very hazy on the details.

Cook inherited the best squad in the division with Grigg, Power, Powell, Burn, Jacobs, Byrne, Morsy etc all under contract and used to playing together after winning the league 2 years prior. We had money to keep and attract players and were the favourotes to go up. That side without a single signing would've been in the promotion hunt. All he needed to do was get them playing and add a few of his own to make a good side even better.

A new manager inheriting in the summer this time literally inherits 3 players; Long, Asgard and Pearce, the first 2 are kids learning the game and Pearce will probably go. The players we currently have who are good will most likely go and the ones we dont want will go, so the new manager is looking for between 15 and 20 players and building from scratch to make us ready for the new season in a matter of weeks.

It couldn't be any more different and highlights how much harder it will be and how much more preparation and work is needed.

If ( and admittedly i don't know for sure ) Leam is going at the end of the season then if allowed to stay on ( to see the job through ? ) then it becomes about him and not us. If the decision has already been made then I dont give a shit about him seeing the job out...the emphasis should be on whats best for us moving forward not what looks good on his CV.

Yes, it's a rebuild that may take a couple of years to complete so why rush it? Think long term and plan.

What I'm saying is that the new owners have said themselves they have medium to long term plans for the club. Let's say for arguments sake that's 5-10 years. Therefore, if they're thinking so long term like that as they've suggested they are it would be foolish of them to rush in and appoint a new manager in their first couple of weeks. It would be prudent of them to take their time and rebuild from wherever we find ourselves at the end of the season that is good football and business sense. If they're looking at this long term they're probably thinking it might take us a couple of years to see any forward momentum so they've got that time to get things right so no need for knee jerk decisions now. That's what the phoenix group seem to be implying and I agree with them. How is that short term thinking.

You seem to misunderstand what I am saying.

I am not talking about rushing a decision, I am advocating not delaying hiring the manager we intend to hire in the summer if it can be done immediately.

You talk about long term planning then contradict that by wanting to keep a caretaker in the short term and delay the long term planning. I am talking about laying the foundations for a massive period of transition and giving us the maximum amount of time to do it nothing knee jerk about that - it's quite the opposite.

No one is bigger than the club and Richardson likely has his bags packed and is ready to go the second he is given the nod - so it's hardly like he's getting done over. The clubs long term future must be the priority not a coach getting another month out of sentimentality.

Our new owners have been close to the goings on at the club since July last year, the have assembled an experienced set of directors in the process.
Can't believe for one second that they are only now beginning to think about a manager and mext season.
They will have thought through and worked up plans for next season and these will be different should it be L1 or L2.
I would expect a plan to be executed immediately this question is confirmed.

New manager in now for me, no point hanging on to Richardson for the last 8 games, he'll be off like a shot once Cook comes calling, the new guy can then hit the ground running next season in League 1.

A few decent players that will play for their shirt and someone that knows what they're doing we should piss that league.

You seem to misunderstand what I am saying.

I am not talking about rushing a decision, I am advocating not delaying hiring the manager we intend to hire in the summer if it can be done immediately.

You talk about long term planning then contradict that by wanting to keep a caretaker in the short term and delay the long term planning. I am talking about laying the foundations for a massive period of transition and giving us the maximum amount of time to do it nothing knee jerk about that - it's quite the opposite.

No one is bigger than the club and Richardson likely has his bags packed and is ready to go the second he is given the nod - so it's hardly like he's getting done over. The clubs long term future must be the priority not a coach getting another month out of sentimentality.

I think you're the one misunderstanding what long term is kdz. Its not just next season it's the next 5-10 years. I don't think holding out to the end of the season on getting the new boss in is going to shape our future over that time period. You don't rush those things, you need calm a calm head and clear mind. You're just focusing on next season as "the future" and nothing else. It's not a sentimental decision re: the manager it's a common sense one in that he hasn't lost the dressing room and I don't think he's doing any worse or any better than anybody else would do at the minute so why change. Keep him in and plan for next season in the meantime. Seems like that's what the new owners want to do too but if you don't agree with them then fair enough. Nevermind we'll have to agree to disagree