Gills v Rovers live | Page 5 | Vital Football

Gills v Rovers live

I tend to agree with Octopus - as the game went on we seemed run out of steam particularly List and Byrne. Reilly redeemed himself with a goal then undid it with a red card. Parker looked lively and all subs did well. Special mention perhaps for Fuller who seemed to get in more blocks than the other defenders, who all did well. Holy improved and pulled off a blinder [from Garmston].

I’d have taken a Pt at the start.

I’d have possibly taken a point at 1-0 up at h/t.

I’d have taken a Pt when Reilly saw red.

I’d have taken a Pt when they got 1 back.

I’d have taken a Pt when 8 mins added.

What a great 3 points ?

Maybe I’m easily pleased....
Pretty much my thought process through the game to be honest.

Reilly's sending-off made it harder work than it needed to be, but it was always going to be a struggle at the end anyway, simply because of the huge effort that they'd all put into pressing Bristol Rovers up until then. They gave them no space at all and that's what got us the win. We were bound to run out of steam at some point and end up hanging on.

I've said before that the only way we're going to progress is by a combination of hard graft and good luck. Tonight was one of those games where we had both, and got our just desserts. All the more reason to enjoy it.

Not bad gate for Brizzle, considering their form - Almost 6400 not including away fans of just under 200.

I also think it will have done wonders for some of our players' confidence. Holy seemed to have got his mojo back, Ogilvie did excellently covering for Zakuani and Garmston also did well when he came on. Oldaker goes from strength to strength, List got another goal. Even Reilly, up until the sending off, was having the best game I'd seen from him for ages. I can't think of anyone who was sub-standard.

Saw it on ifollow - a scrappy game between two teams clearly struggling. However, who cares if we take 3 points. We didn't look in trouble until the sending off. I didn't see it as quite as obvious as other posters. Yes, very late, but didn't look high to me and the reaction from their player was completely OTT and a Lazarus like recovery was obviously made, I'd also note that hands were raised by Rovers players in the subsequent melee which e could have made more of (given their player's reaction to Reilly's challenge, "if you can't beat them...") - not an incorrect decision but not one for me where the ref had no choice. The subsequent foul on Ogilvie was just as blatant a red card, in a different sense, but the ref chose to bottle it no not give a foul at all rather than have to make a decision. The 8 additional minutes were also a complete work of fiction.

I really think we need to show a bit more gamesmanship and game management. Whilst I'm not advocating that we start diving and wasting time after half an hour like Blackpool did the other day, when we're 2-0 up down to 10 men and in the last 15 mins, we need to play the game a lot more - i don't think anyone went down injured or wasted time until Parker went down injured after about 96mins and then Holy subsequently wasted time.

All in, it was nice to see us grind out a result in a scrappy way - a thoroughly deserved win under the cosh with us reduced to 10 men for some time and losing our best defender.

I’d have taken a Pt at the start.

I’d have possibly taken a point at 1-0 up at h/t.

I’d have taken a Pt when Reilly saw red.

I’d have taken a Pt when they got 1 back.

I’d have taken a Pt when 8 mins added.

What a great 3 points ?

Maybe I’m easily pleased....

I'd say you are personally!

Well that was typical, wasn't it? The amount of flagrant timewasting we've had to put up with this season, and the first player to get booked for it is Holy.

IT problems meant I could only check scores sporadically. Two nil up with my last check - seems like I missed all the drama. This might be the way forward for me - just check at the end .

Great win for the Gills - important not to lose to those below you. The roller coaster continues.

Yes, very late, but didn't look high to me and the reaction from their player was completely OTT and a Lazarus like recovery was obviously made

The reaction from their player was to get the hell out of the way before he ended up with a broken bone. It was a stupid challenge, the ball was gone, they were in their own half and there was no immediate danger, Christ knows what he was thinking lunging in like that. You've seen players get away with a yellow for challenges like that, but there can be no complaints about the red.

Agree about the professional foul on Ogilvie, can't believe the ref didn't even give a foul.

Before the sending-off we were comfortable, after it we were hanging on. If it had stayed 11 v 11 we would be saluting a solid away performance having prevented the opposition from getting a decent chance (minus Garmston's inexplicable near-OG). While we created two chances and took them well it took a very well taken free-kick from them for Holy to be beaten, or indeed called into action (at least, by one of their players). Ratings:

Holy 7, kicked well (long and short), stopped the shots he had to and claimed the crosses he had to.

Fuller 7, Competed well, got down the line and provided the usual we (now) expect from him.

Zakuani 6.5, Went off early, but did nothing wrong before he did.

Ehmer 7, Yes he did give a needless-ish free-kick from which they scored but got his head/boot on everything he could.

Ogilvie 7.5, Man of the match for me, he seems better at CB than LB. Was very good at getting to "second balls" and covered behind other defenders well.

Byrne 6.5 Busy as ever, ran his socks off as usual, but no great moments on the ball.

Oldaker 6.5 Half a point off here for a moment of weakness on the ball in the second half. His range of passing is by far better than anyone we have at the club but I see what SL and others are thinking when they talk about his "situational awareness".

Reilly 5.5 Toughest to give a rating to. Scored, worked hard before sent off but given a lower rating because of the position he left his team-mates in.

List 7 Scored a well taken finish, but is not best used at the upper point of the diamond. Personal opinion is that he is a better impact sub when teams are tired (rather like McGlashan), but hey, he scored, and took it well.

Parker 6.5 Holds up the ball so well, even when he should end up losing it. Also filled in well on the left of midfield after Reilly was sent off.

Eaves 6.5 Thankless task for Tom today. One or two touches were vital in taking the pressure off.

Of the subs: Garmston (6) was solid aside from an almighty near clanger of an OG. Couldn't rate O'Neill or Bingham based on the time they were on.

Good one Townend ?

Just reading on KoL that Lovell was “seething” about the ref not giving a pen for Ogilvie. Pretty obvious pen was it?

Well done Gills, if we were to gain 3 points from Luton /Bristol it was distinctly more important to get the Gas win. Another good game for our younger guys and very pleasing to see Ogilvie put in a brave and effective shift covering for Zak - not for the first time either. Massive three points.