Gills' finances and the affect of the coronavirus | Vital Football

Gills' finances and the affect of the coronavirus

PhilK66

Vital 1st Team Regular
Whether matches are delayed or never take place the affect of the virus on our cash flow/finances will be keenly felt. I can only think that it will make it far more likely that we will need to sell one or two of our young stars this summer.

Whether matches are delayed or never take place the affect of the virus on our cash flow/finances will be keenly felt. I can only think that it will make it far more likely that we will need to sell one or two of our young stars this summer.
Well, with other clubs also up shits creek id say there will be fewer potential buyers as well.

Its a huge problem for many clubs and all sorts of businesses.

The knock on affect will all depends on when the season finishes, if it finishes? I as presuming the loan players we have will be extended if necessary to cover the end otherwise we will be really struggling albeit as will many more clubs. No income for 2 months could see a few go under.

The early money in from season tickets may prove to be a fortuitous move. It would certainly be worse without that money.

Hopefully those in charge will be issuing some emergency loans. Last thing communities need is to see more clubs go the way of Bury. Always worth remembering that as well as football clubs they are employers and there will be lots of people needing paying each month to help pay their bills

And not forgetting the knock on effect to all the people employed or contracted by the club weekly and on match days. Security, catering, club shop etc etc. All will have reduced or no income.

Football codes here in Oz are mentioning losses for each club of millions each week. That’s clubs that get between say 10 - 30k crowds each week. And all talking about how staff will have to be let go if football is fully postponed.

I notice one Gills season ticket holder on the facebook group demanding Scally reimburse him for the games that may not take place if the season was declared void.

It really irritated me. At times like this the club needs as much support as it can get, not a queue of people looking to kick it in the teeth!!!

I notice one Gills season ticket holder on the facebook group demanding Scally reimburse him for the games that may not take place if the season was declared void.

It really irritated me. At times like this the club needs as much support as it can get, not a queue of people looking to kick it in the teeth!!!

Same over here. Almost as soon as it was announced that AFL games may be played behind closed doors some apparent Brisbane Lions supporter posted similar to “ If the club don’t reimburse me immediately they better be prepared for a class action. Lots of us want our money back!”.

WTF? Thankfully the next 50 replies were along the lines of “I’d prefer the club keep my money to stay afloat or donate It somewhere”.

And on a similar note, it was mentioned that so called “acts of God” mean refunds aren’t necessarily enforceable by law. Depends if the virus is said to be an “act of God” under the law I suppose.

ie if you buy a car and it breaks down. Yes, covered by the seller.

But If you buy a car and it then gets struck by lightning, not covered. You’d need separate insurance against that.

Anyone knows what’s correct legally? Any consumer law experts around?

Either way, I’d hope fans (especially ours) show a bit of common sense about it all. I’m not sure Paul Scally is to blame for this one.

I was considering asking iFollow about a credit for my next subscription in August.
They did after all promise me 46 games...

*Before anyone replies I am being sarcastic/joking 😉

And on a similar note, it was mentioned that so called “acts of God” mean refunds aren’t necessarily enforceable by law. Depends if the virus is said to be an “act of God” under the law I suppose.

ie if you buy a car and it breaks down. Yes, covered by the seller.

But If you buy a car and it then gets struck by lightning, not covered. You’d need separate insurance against that.

Anyone knows what’s correct legally? Any consumer law experts around?

Either way, I’d hope fans (especially ours) show a bit of common sense about it all. I’m not sure Paul Scally is to blame for this one.
Exactly - try and get money back and for sure the club will suffer

I was considering asking iFollow about a credit for my next subscription in August.
They did after all promise me 46 games...

*Before anyone replies I am being sarcastic/joking 😉

The subscription only lasts until the end of May so if the season finishes in the summer then you'll have to renew for next year to listen / watch the end of this year.

From my experience working on contracts, events that prevent a business fulfilling its obligations and outside its control 'force majeure' are usually spelt out in a contract, eg act of god, war etc, along with appropriate remedies, which you'd find the T & Cs relating to sale of Season Tickets or iFollow subscriptions and often never read. If the Govt imposes bans, restrictions and quarantines that is another matter and any liability could fall on the Govt. but who knows?

It all comes down to whether you would rather the club keeps the money and have a club to watch next year, or get your money back and potentially have no club to watch next year.

Those fans are probably the usual scally bashers that will take any opportunity to criticise the club that they claim to support. Beggars belief that they actually claim to support the club then come out with demands like that.

please call him a twat, with my regards

Club statement from Barnet today having to put everyone employed by the club on notice. Their 2019 parachute money has not enabled them to rebuild and get back into league 2 and they are losing £100k per month. Covid19 has effectively finished them off earlier than might have been.
Not sure if they can get a handful of the £330Billion that the govt. are making available or if it is even too late for that.