Gills 1984 to 2000 thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Gills 1984 to 2000 thread

Three things stand out from that video for me:

1) Great goal from Billy Manuel
2) I've watched it back half a dozen times and still can't see how on earth that was a penalty for us for the 2nd goal
3) Was that THE Dave Martin getting sent off?

2) I've watched it back half a dozen times and still can't see how on earth that was a penalty for us for the 2nd goal

1) Did he mean it, or was it a cross got lucky?
2) Agreed, keeper comes out and catches the ball, I'd be livid if we conceded a penalty that soft
3) One and the same

Some great memories here. I have an obscure one of Nicky Southall scoring against Southend after 4 mins and they scored two goals in injury time and won 2-1. I refused to believe we had lost after being ahead for so long even when I read it in the paper the following morning. Can't remember when it was but pre championship 98-99?

My peak years as a Gills fan. Did most games home and away between 1984 and 2000. There was some dross served up but some good memories as well.

When I look back at tyreac24 video compilations I love looking at the crowd celebrations. May be our expectations were lower but the way we celebrated the goals seemed more back then.

Some great memories here. I have an obscure one of Nicky Southall scoring against Southend after 4 mins and they scored two goals in injury time and won 2-1. I refused to believe we had lost after being ahead for so long even when I read it in the paper the following morning. Can't remember when it was but pre championship 98-99?

A rare home game for me. I remember Akinbiyi missing a string of sitters!

Omg. Re point 2 I also never understood why that was a penalty either at the time or now. I very nearly posted that in my first reply.

Edit. Just checked. Yes, that was the Dave Martin who captained us to promotion 95/6. Maybe not a pen but if Dave Martin was sent off we can assume that decision was correct. :-)

Last edited:

I remember that as well, I've a feeling that they were bottom of the table at the time too which outraged me even more.

Agree. My favourite season ever, by a mile. I have an enlarged framed photo of Wilks' winner at home to Exeter looking down on me as I type.
As mentioned before, I have the same photograph 58, I also have an audio cassette recording of the match recorded off the TV on the Big Match.

Agree. My favourite season ever, by a mile. I have an enlarged framed photo of Wilks' winner at home to Exeter looking down on me as I type.

saw willks a few times in that great qpr side with Rodney Marsh etc. A real class act so I was shocked when we managed to sign him.