Gillingham | Page 3 | Vital Football

Gillingham

I've driven up from Boston to NH many time for work. All of the road signs on the motorway are so familiar as you pass exits for Cambridge, Chelmsford, Woburn, Bedford etc.

Chatham, Cape Cod is very upmarket I believe.

I used to work with a guy from Rochester, NY. When he visited us in Rochester, UK his travel req would read Rochester to Rochester to Rochester.

If you look in Pennsylvania many towns end in Burg. Presumably due to many settlers of German origin.
Yup - mainly Amish who were escaping a wee bit of persecution in Zwitserland. Even though they do speak a sort of German dialect when in groups together, it is locally called Pennsylvania Dutch for some odd reason. Another group who were affiliated to them (the Mennonites) later followed them to the States but have not integrated with the Amish, preferring to hold onto their own religious identity.....
Their history is interesting reading unfortunately not all the women look like Kelly McGillis (in her younger days).

Went to Cape Cod a couple of years back. It's full of English place names - including Chatham, Sandwich, Barnstaple, Falmouth, Yarmouth, Truro and Harwich! The whale-watching was unbelievable (and no, I'm not referring to middle-aged bodies on the beaches...)

I think there's about ten or more Rochesters in the states. Unfortunately I think most, if not all, are named directly after people called Rochester rather than our illustrious town. There is a 'Chatham-Kent' in Canada that is definitely a direct reference though.
Apparently only the Kent part takes its name from our fine county, at least according to Wiki. The Chatham part is named after the Earl of Chatham. It sports a naval dockyard and in the 19th century hosted the Convention of Colored Men!

Strood means strength, and was named "the strength of Medway." Strood has been the ruler of Medway since 1169. There is also an Australian Stood, called Strewth...

Afraid not -- The origin of the name Twydall is thought to mean "Two Parts" or "Double Portion" from the Old English twidǣl, but by 1240 it was written Twydele.

Excellent! Glad to know that. So much for my hope that it was one of those residuals left over from when the Celts dominated. You know -the line of Goudhurst Road following the outer wall of the Celtic hill fort between the shopping centre and the playing fields. Oh well.

Afraid not -- The origin of the name Twydall is thought to mean "Two Parts" or "Double Portion" from the Old English twidǣl, but by 1240 it was written Twydele.

And I always thought that it was something to do with Hop farming...

I live in Massachusetts and at least a third of the 92 have namesake town or neighbourhoods here. Plus there are Rochester, Chatham, Medway, and Gill (missing the rest of the name).

Admit to being a tad jealous, Prosecutor. I love Massachusetts and would live there at the drop of a hat (other circumstances prevent that). I am especially fond of the Causeway Street area of Boston.