Gillingham Away to Spurs | Vital Football

Gillingham Away to Spurs

Excellent draw. I've seen Gills play at every London ground over the years apart from Tottenham so absolutely perfect for me. I'll definitely be there.

ME7_Gills - 24/8/2016 22:50

Nice return for Edinburgh at his old club.

Dream draw for JED

And a great draw for the club. Will Spurs get a decent home crowd like Chelski did v Bristol Rovers? Be nice if we could fill the coffers a bit with a 30K + crowd.

I'm happy with this, I want to tick off WHL before it gets (completely) bulldozed. I wanted a big London team away too so I could get High Speed up straight after work.

It'll give many Spurs fans the opportunity to see their local team for once!

WHL has a reduced capacity and is allowed a lower away allocation than normal, so we may not get the huge allocation we're hoping for. I've seen Spurs on Channel 5 many times playing FC Dog & Duck and pulling in surprisingly decent crowds.

Could this encourage some pick & choosers to get a season ticket?

How is the money shared out between the home and away clubs in the EFL cup?
Is it 50 - 50 on attendance revenue or what?
:69:

If it is Wednesday 21st it will be 119 years to the day since we last played at White Hart Lane. Lost 1-2 before 16,000 in a Southern League match. The Southern League was essentially the third tier at the time.
Anyone else remember going to see Gills reserves play Orient in the Midweek League in 1982? There were 8,559 there, double our league average that year, because Spurs cup tickets were being sold at the turnstiles.

Prosecutor - 25/8/2016 01:20

If it is Wednesday 21st it will be 119 years to the day since we last played at White Hart Lane. Lost 1-2 before 16,000 in a Southern League match. The Southern League was essentially the third tier at the time.
Anyone else remember going to see Gills reserves play Orient in the Midweek League in 1982? There were 8,559 there, double our league average that year, because Spurs cup tickets were being sold at the turnstiles.

Yep. I went to that resereves game. Stayed to the end too.
Most people I think watched the first 5-10 mins and went. Plastics :19:

That Spurs cup game was good too. 2-4 with Archibald & Crooks getting 2 each iirc. Think Pricey got one of ours (or maybe both?). That wasn't a bad Spurs side. Over 14k in Priestfield that night.

I think I remember seeing Gills play at White Hart Lane. In the Southern Junior Floodlit Cup (?). Gills Yoof - Billy Hughes, Terry Jolley etc. Terry Venables saying complementary things about Hughes. We lost 1-0.

Happy with the draw my brothers family are a big spurs fans.So it could well be a family get together before the game.
Great for young Paddy too.What a way to return.Really hope he gets the goal that dumps spurs out.

Didn't we play them at home in a friendly at some stage in the 1990's or 2000's? A testimonial?

WGUAFC - 25/8/2016 07:39

I make you right there Trev,

I remember Steve Archibald scoring a particularly good goal.

If Archibald scored, that must be the cup game early/mid-80's mentioned earlier on. Archibald played for Spurs around 80 - 85 ish.

edit > unless he came back for a testimonial match after retirement maybe?

I remember the Cup game in the 80s. No such thing as playing reserve teams then as Spurs fielded the likes of Hoddle, Villa etc.

A shame I'll be in Australia for this one as I've not been to WHL.

Think you're right, it would have been around 2000. all I can remember is Poyet curling in a free kick from outside the box. Little teaser for you, which member of that Spurs team later came to The Gills on loan?

We also played them for Graham Knight's testimonial in 79 . It was at about the time they signed Villa and Ardiles I think . Hoddle ran the show that night, pure class. Gordon Banks was meant to play for The Gills that night but couldn't make it for some reason. My Dad was a massive fan of his and I think he only went to see him.

Not sure but I also seem to remember another friendly where Chris Waddle lobbed Hillyard from outside the box at the Rainham End? Would have been quite near the end of God's time with us. Maybe I dreamt it ?

Trev_GFC - 25/8/2016 07:30

Didn't we play them at home in a friendly at some stage in the 1990's or 2000's? A testimonial?

We played them at home in 85 (86?) for Mark Weatherley's testimonial which was a 1-1 draw if I recall...

Nobby_66 - 25/8/2016 07:59

Think you're right, it would have been around 2000. all I can remember is Poyet curling in a free kick from outside the box. Little teaser for you, which member of that Spurs team later came to The Gills on loan?

Horsfield or whatever his name was - he was one of many keepers we loaned that season if I recall correctly.