GFC "culinary away days .......... | Page 2 | Vital Football

GFC "culinary away days ..........

Excellent pie, chips and gravy in Walsall clubhouse a few years ago. Also a fantastic pub/curry house (Champy's Bradford Arms) after the match about 1 mile away.
Only downer was having to listen to the dreadful Brummie accents, almost as bad as Scouse.

Worst was a Chicken takeaway on the way back from a dreadfule game at Dagenham. The chicken was so raw I think it still had a pulse. Somehow even worse than the chippy down by the Strand in Church Street.

Bradford away.

I had the worst pie in the history of humanity. It had been cooked that long before I bought it that when the plastic fork shattered the desiccated pastry lid ghosts came out. If I'd lobbed it at the home fans I'd have been done for assault with a deadly weapon.

They're specially baked for throwing at away fans. I've had to dodge more than a few in my time.
The men's toilets were great at the old ground too. You could take a leak and still watch the game.
Now the pies at Oldham were superb. Scooby snacks for people.

Scarborough stands out as having the most extensive menue ever seen at a football ground, none of which was actually available on the day. Hungry? Chew on a teabag.

Wolves away for me .....

Proper pies and beers on tap at half time .... I downed three ales at half time and felt proper bolloxed for the second half .....

New season fast approaching and, for the information of anyone considering the trip to Tranmere, incorporating lunch or a stay in Liverpool - this might float yer boat:

https://www.mowglistreetfood.com

Liverpool has two, one near to the crossing over to Birkenhead (Tranmere).

These restaurants, called Mowgli Street Food, are superb and are the brainchild of Nisha Katona, a former barrister who, around 7 years ago, swapped the courtroom for a journey into culinary entrepreneurship. What`s amazing is that this lady identified and found a gap in the market of Indian food ! But she did, and now has a unique and successful formula. The food is mega tasty and Nisha is about to open her 19th (I think) restaurant in Preston - (I shall be popping down there often).

I believe there are currently only two of Nisha`s restaurants in the South-East - one in London and one in Brighton. I wager a visit to one of the Liverpool Mowgli`s will have you lobbying for a Mowgli in Kent !

And, for those that like some spicy but prefer a more"eat on the street" option - beside Tranmere`s ground there`s a fish and chip shop called Eastern Delight (Borough Road) just behind the away end - it`s chips and curry are very popular, but well worth the wait.