GFC "culinary away days .......... | Vital Football

GFC "culinary away days ..........

LancsGordoRoad

Vital Champions League
........ - the snack/meal you associate with different away game places/venues"

Just to set the (low) tone...

.... I still remember the very tasty Chinese Chips (chips from a Chinese chippy) at an away game at Bury several decades ago - I was a teenager and very impressed, especially after a long trip on the coach.

Some years later, and with the benefit of my own transport, my wife and I, on a Gills trip to Grimsby, went into town and had the most excellent fish & chips in a restaurant. Probably tastier (deffo more expensive) than the Chinese fish & chips but probably no less enjoyable.

Again, going back to the days of long journeys on the coach - setting off from Priestfield at around 11pm (Friday) to Carlisle but stopping en-route at the fabulous Tebay Services in Cumbria (an altogether "different" service area venue) in the early morning sunshine enjoying a fine breakfast with my fellow coach-mates.

The more I think this through my past travelling has been significantly lacking in anything too artisan and posh. The most common culinary denominator has been fish and chips ! Whether it was way back in the day, when a John Leeds return coach journey always involved a stop off in New Cross for fish & chips or more contemporary visits to Fleetwood where the food from the sea is always fresh. Even a fairly recent trip to Bury involved lunch in the form of a posh fish finger sandwich !

Aside from Pasties at Plymouth, Bristol, Torquay and Exeter - i`ve realised that I need to get out more on match days !!!

Does anyone have any culinary associations/memories of away games they`d like to share - or perhaps culinary suggestions of alternatives for upcoming games ?

Back in the 80s the supporters bus sometimes stopped at the chippy opposite fellows park (walsall). Their chips were orange or did I make that up.

Anyone else remember that ?

Back in the 80s the supporters bus sometimes stopped at the chippy opposite fellows park (walsall). Their chips were orange or did I make that up.

Anyone else remember that ?

Don`t remember orange chips (bit too southerly for curry chips, perhaps ;)) that but do recall that Wallsall were a friendly bunch and we always got invited into their social club.

Talking of Walsall - went to the Bescot in its first season and asked for a light and bitter in their social club. The barman's reply in that god awful accent - 'I've heard that's what you cockney's drink'

Talking of Walsall - went to the Bescot in its first season and asked for a light and bitter in their social club. The barman's reply in that god awful accent - 'I've heard that's what you cockney's drink'

My mate used to drink that and he had to explain what it was in every northern pub.

I wonder if people drink it today.

My abiding memory is like one of yours Lancs. Always stopping on the way back in some London suburb for fish n chips. Often after a couple of ales on the coach to that point. And always ravenous so they tasted gorgeous.

Bracing myself for the matter of broad choice in Burton - there`s beer and there`s , mmm , actually, there`s just beer.

Not my favourite away location, iv`e never thought of it as a culinary port of call - not even for fish and chips.......

Bradford away.

I had the worst pie in the history of humanity. It had been cooked that long before I bought it that when the plastic fork shattered the desiccated pastry lid ghosts came out. If I'd lobbed it at the home fans I'd have been done for assault with a deadly weapon.

After the game (2-2 I think, Simeon Jackson with both), the mate I was with took me to a low-key curry house, no menu to choose from, you just got what they were serving and everyone was sat at long trestle tables...best damn curry I can recall eating and for next to no cost.

Blackpool away also sets the record for the worst burger I've ever had. Again cooked some years before the match, the brown slime that had one been lettuce was less than appealing. Hotter than the sun as well.

Yep, remembering sampling a balti pie there about 15 years or so ago - probably the best match pie I've had. Although a word of note for our own spitfire ale and steak and chicken tikka pies that we served up in around the same era - home made on-site, huge and very tasty. Sadly replaced by pukka-type dirge many years ago.

I also had a cracking haddock and chips in Cleethorpes after an away match v Grimsby and a great fry up in a greasy spoon just next to Millmoor when we beat Rotherham 3-1 away with Henderson and Sidebe on targey. Also, had a decent dry-up aaway at Wrexham on the painful day in 2000.

Bradford away.

I had the worst pie in the history of humanity. It had been cooked that long before I bought it that when the plastic fork shattered the desiccated pastry lid ghosts came out. If I'd lobbed it at the home fans I'd have been done for assault with a deadly weapon.

Funny you should mention that, Herr, as I recall an away game at Bradford City (a fair few years back - it was on Match of the Day and Dave Shearer scored for us) where we (the GFC fans) were on a terrace and were pelted with pies by a few of the locals...... "lobbing them" now seems a tad more understandable, now that we know they were the worst pies in the history of humanity ! :throw::throw:

........ - the snack/meal you associate with different away game places/venues"

Just to set the (low) tone...

.... I still remember the very tasty Chinese Chips (chips from a Chinese chippy) at an away game at Bury several decades ago - I was a teenager and very impressed, especially after a long trip on the coach.

Some years later, and with the benefit of my own transport, my wife and I, on a Gills trip to Grimsby, went into town and had the most excellent fish & chips in a restaurant. Probably tastier (deffo more expensive) than the Chinese fish & chips but probably no less enjoyable.

Again, going back to the days of long journeys on the coach - setting off from Priestfield at around 11pm (Friday) to Carlisle but stopping en-route at the fabulous Tebay Services in Cumbria (an altogether "different" service area venue) in the early morning sunshine enjoying a fine breakfast with my fellow coach-mates.

The more I think this through my past travelling has been significantly lacking in anything too artisan and posh. The most common culinary denominator has been fish and chips ! Whether it was way back in the day, when a John Leeds return coach journey always involved a stop off in New Cross for fish & chips or more contemporary visits to Fleetwood where the food from the sea is always fresh. Even a fairly recent trip to Bury involved lunch in the form of a posh fish finger sandwich !

Aside from Pasties at Plymouth, Bristol, Torquay and Exeter - i`ve realised that I need to get out more on match days !!!

Does anyone have any culinary associations/memories of away games they`d like to share - or perhaps culinary suggestions of alternatives for upcoming games ?
Burnley August bank holiday monday 2000 ( 1-1 Asaba) The pie with gravy at the Catholic club for £1 (10p to get in ) with pints of claret and blue bitter for £1. Great food and a great day which clearly i remember all the details of over 20 years later.
Also the pies in the Peel Park hotel in Accrington around 2009 (?). Clearly i‘m a subconscious northerner….

Funny you should mention that, Herr, as I recall an away game at Bradford City (a fair few years back - it was on Match of the Day and Dave Shearer scored for us) where we (the GFC fans) were on a terrace and were pelted with pies by a few of the locals...... "lobbing them" now seems a tad more understandable, now that we know they were the worst pies in the history of humanity ! :throw::throw:

I remember that.

Fat bastard.
I wasn’t then, but I’m packing a bit of timber now.
I came across a few old football photos recently and myself missus couldn’t believe my slim build and huge thighs
Now it’s huge build and slim thighs 😂
I’ve had too concede to 36 inch waist jeans ☹️