GFC Arrivals Departures | Page 4 | Vital Football

GFC Arrivals Departures

Interesting then that a club seen to have a similar budget to us are able to sign players while we cannot.
Possibly. Scally has chosen not too.My guess is we will have a few players on a decent wage signed up when pre season starts .Then the squad completed with a few cheap signings after that.Longer you wait for the cheaper signings the cheaper they are likely to get.

Possibly. Scally has chosen not too.My guess is we will have a few players on a decent wage signed up when pre season starts .Then the squad completed with a few cheap signings after that.Longer you wait for the cheaper signings the cheaper they are likely to get.
True there will be plenty of freebies available, but the better ones will be snapped up sooner rather than later. Our team will look very different from last season’s, especially if Tucker and Ogilvie are sold.

True there will be plenty of freebies available, but the better ones will be snapped up sooner rather than later. Our team will look very different from last season’s, especially if Tucker and Ogilvie are sold.
It is likely that most of the loan deals have already be provisionally agreed.

It is likely that most of the loan deals have already be provisionally agreed.

I would very much like to see Alfie Jones return for a season long loan again. I thought he ran the midfield at times last year and seeing as his preferred position is actually full back I think he could be a key signing. Especially if either Tucker or Ogilvie decide to F off.

I would very much like to see Alfie Jones return for a season long loan again. I thought he ran the midfield at times last year and seeing as his preferred position is actually full back I think he could be a key signing. Especially if either Tucker or Ogilvie decide to F off.

Love him back as well but I think it depends on whether soton think he has potential with them. If he does then his next loan should be higher than us. If not then we could get him back in a similar way to ogilve kept coming back.

There are loads of quality potential loanees in the Championship. Some of the clubs up here in the NW have deep pools of young talent - Blackburn Rovers is a good example.

That is one answer lol.

It is actually what is happening over here with AFL and NRL.

There’s been a 2nd wave of Covid in Melbourne and some outbreaks in NSW. So all clubs have relocated to WA, SA and mainly here in Qld where there are virtually zero cases.

We have 10 AFL teams relocated here in South East Qld (Brisbane, Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast). They are each playing each other at 2 separate grounds (Gabba and Metricon on GC). And are otherwise staying fairly isolated in resort complexes. Going to get through rounds at quick speed, 4/5 games each in 3 weeks. 3 games back to back on weekends at those stadiums plus midweek games. So they can get the season completed just a month or so late. And get ready for next year.

Think crowds are capped at 25% capacity (10k for Gabba) which isn’t an issue for the relocated teams, just means some Brisbane fans miss out but no one minds. Football is back on.

Currently sitting back on my lounge watching Carlton v North Melbourne and now Sydney v Hawthorne. Love it 👍

It's not a business model solely used in the states, it's global. The deals are called Leveraged Buy Outs.

Let's look at Pizza Express.

It's been bought and sold multiple times (by private equity firms), and very little equity will have been put into the sale each time and will have been funded by debt.

eg Pizza Express is valued at £250m. The new owner might give the old owner £25m which they have available and the remaining £225m will be paid to the owner after they've raised the money against Pizza Express. It could be bank loans but more often than not, it's from other private equity funds.

These loans will come with interest and of course these need paying. Each time a restaurant chain gets sold in this manner its profit margin gets eroded to the point where it's so thin the only way to keep it going is to increase volume of sales; or open new restaurants.

It only takes a slight increase in running costs eg after the Brexit vote ingredients from mainland Europe became more expensive, or a dip in cash flow and the whole thing, to be quite frank, is absolutely fucked.

It's a great way to buy a business without using much of your own money. When it does eventually fold the people left on the hook are the creditors- the people who loaned the money to finance the purchase.

This is indeed how the Glazers purchased Manchester United. People kicked off because loads of £ every year goes to financing the debt and isn't reinvested into the club.

Sorry for the long post, turned into AK for a bit there :grinning:
Almost a Ponzi scheme.

There are loads of quality potential loanees in the Championship. Some of the clubs up here in the NW have deep pools of young talent - Blackburn Rovers is a good example.

:thumbup:

Jack Vale, remember the name...

Steve Evans could do well to get 2 or 3 (Hayden Carter, John Buckley) down there on loan for the full season. Would do wonders for their development. Rovers have a deep pool of quality coming through.

Forest Green Rovers (league 2) have signed 8 so far, but they do have an owner worth £100m plus! To be fair though they have only replaced the 8 who were released!
I saw a stat back on the 16th July: FGR have now signed 94 players in 4 years, including 11 goalkeeers!

I saw a stat back on the 16th July: FGR have now signed 94 players in 4 years, including 11 goalkeeers!

And none of the players from 4 years ago when they were non league are still there! With the fact that have improved year on year and would have happened again if covid 19 hadnt off happened! Factor in to that they have sold players for big profit in that time...Christian Doidge free from Dagenham, sold for £450,000! Reece Brown free from Birmingham, sold for £500,000! Ethan Pinnock £10,000 from Dulwich Hamlet, sold to Barnsley for £800,000 within a year, plus they had a 40% sell on when he went to Brentford for £3m! Jordan Stevens came through the academy and went to Leeds for £1m! Another key factor they do not need to rely on match day, which only accounts for 20% of the overall income as they are owned by Ecotricity!

Last edited by a moderator:
On the face of it FGR have all the potential to progress but will the lack of any real fanbase hold them back ?

Is that area more Rugby with Swindon and Bristol close enough to gobble up any football fans ?

I guess this is what frustrates me about Gills. We have far more potential than FGR, if we had an owner who could fund the dream. This isn't a scally bash, its just fact that he can't fund the dream or attract an investor. Possibly because he really wants a donation not an investment in my opinion.

Bloody frustrating as Kent really should be able to support a championship team.