GFC Arrivals Departures | Page 3 | Vital Football

GFC Arrivals Departures

Why not sign a player with the clause "contract starts when pre-season starts"?
Maybe because no agent will recommend any player sign such a contract. Unless you are talking about signing a out of contract non league player I dare say most of them would sign.

Who else is hiring players right now mozzer?

Other than Rovers, I think I’ve seen Blackpool sign someone and that’s about it.

The L1 football forum
had a question particularly asking other clubs fans if their club is signing players like Rovers are. To a man nearly every reply was “no way. We want a club when football starts. Why sign anyone now”.

And that includes teams like Ipswich, Sunderland etc.’

Why do you think we should be signing up a squad of 20 players right now and pay them to sit around until football eventually starts? Are you going to be paying them?

With currently only around 8 players full time on our books, I reckon we are doing better than most.
Sunderland are re-signing players which still means a new contract and wages to be paid.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53084962

Who else is hiring players right now mozzer?

Other than Rovers, I think I’ve seen Blackpool sign someone and that’s about it.

The L1 football forum
had a question particularly asking other clubs fans if their club is signing players like Rovers are. To a man nearly every reply was “no way. We want a club when football starts. Why sign anyone now”.

And that includes teams like Ipswich, Sunderland etc.’

Why do you think we should be signing up a squad of 20 players right now and pay them to sit around until football eventually starts? Are you going to be paying them?

With currently only around 8 players full time on our books, I reckon we are doing better than most.

Forest Green Rovers (league 2) have signed 8 so far, but they do have an owner worth £100m plus! To be fair though they have only replaced the 8 who were released!

One school of thought is that we'll miss the boat on things.

Another is that a larger than usual pool of players might lose some of their bargaining power the later the spots are filled and become more scarce.

I'm not in the slightest worried - Evans will get some knockbacks, but he'll have us ready when the time comes.

Thats how I understood it, thanks for confirming (I'm a bit thick with business stuff which is why I never comment)
Companies like Pizza Express and Nandos are, i understand, struggling because of this. Is this an American business model? I only ask as it seems to be how The Glaziers run Manure and caused such a stink when they took over?

It's not a business model solely used in the states, it's global. The deals are called Leveraged Buy Outs.

Let's look at Pizza Express.

It's been bought and sold multiple times (by private equity firms), and very little equity will have been put into the sale each time and will have been funded by debt.

eg Pizza Express is valued at £250m. The new owner might give the old owner £25m which they have available and the remaining £225m will be paid to the owner after they've raised the money against Pizza Express. It could be bank loans but more often than not, it's from other private equity funds.

These loans will come with interest and of course these need paying. Each time a restaurant chain gets sold in this manner its profit margin gets eroded to the point where it's so thin the only way to keep it going is to increase volume of sales; or open new restaurants.

It only takes a slight increase in running costs eg after the Brexit vote ingredients from mainland Europe became more expensive, or a dip in cash flow and the whole thing, to be quite frank, is absolutely fucked.

It's a great way to buy a business without using much of your own money. When it does eventually fold the people left on the hook are the creditors- the people who loaned the money to finance the purchase.

This is indeed how the Glazers purchased Manchester United. People kicked off because loads of £ every year goes to financing the debt and isn't reinvested into the club.

Sorry for the long post, turned into AK for a bit there :grinning:

It's not a business model solely used in the states, it's global. The deals are called Leveraged Buy Outs.

It's been bought and sold multiple times (by private equity firms), and very little equity will have been put into the sale each time and will have been funded by debt.

eg Pizza Express is valued at £250m. The new owner might give the old owner £25m which they have available and the remaining £225m will be paid to the owner after they've raised the money against Pizza Express. It could be bank loans but more often than not, it's from other private equity funds.

These loans will come with interest and of course these need paying. Each time a restaurant chain gets sold in this manner its profit margin gets eroded to the point where it's so thin the only way to keep it going is to increase volume of sales; or open new restaurants.

It only takes a slight increase in running costs eg after the Brexit vote ingredients from mainland Europe became more expensive, or a dip in cash flow and the whole thing, to be quite frank, is absolutely fucked.

It's a great way to buy a business without using much of your own money. When it does eventually fold the people left on the hook are the creditors- the people who loaned the money to finance the purchase.

This is indeed how the Glazers purchased Manchester United. People kicked off because loads of £ every year goes to financing the debt and isn't reinvested into the club.

No thank you I think I understand it a bit better .Seems a good reason to stay away from these type of companies. I am not a great fan of any multiple restaurant. We prefer the smaller privately owned type restaurant whatever type of meal we are looking for.

No thank you I think I understand it a bit better .Seems a good reason to stay away from these type of companies. I am not a great fan of any multiple restaurant. We prefer the smaller privately owned type restaurant whatever type of meal we are looking for.

Yes I agree. Generally once a restaurant has more than 5 or so venues the ability to control the quality vanishes.

Cheers, makes sense now 👍

I think he is better than that.But player manager perhaps?????

Barnet are potentially 2 games away from being back in the EFL, so if that happens could be a decent place to finish his career!