GFC Arrivals Departures | Page 2 | Vital Football

GFC Arrivals Departures

Thinking ahead to the new season.If some sort of crowds will be allowed back in October what about running the season from October to the end of June.

Not sure how many players at our level would be involved, but a potential problem with that end date would be the Euros, which are due to start on the 11th June.

Bristol are spending big.
I think they will sign Max and farm out a few of their existing squad.

“Nice to talk to you Sean, but we haven’t got any money”

Or any number of League 1 and 2 clubs who will offer a contract before Gillingham

We need to make sure we have a club first, we can wait :-) They'll be plenty of players needing a club when the season starts, but sadly we will be looking in the bargain basement!

Probably trying to convince him to join us on a voluntary basis until we get crowds in and we can pay him then.
Scally already has an army of volunteer fans doing the work of the stadium staff who are all on furlough!

The main thing is to have a club when the season starts. According to reports there is in the region of 1400 players out of contract, I think SE should be able to sign a decent squad from those players available. Paul Scally is right not to spend anything until he knows what is happening.

The main thing is to have a club when the season starts. According to reports there is in the region of 1400 players out of contract, I think SE should be able to sign a decent squad from those players available. Paul Scally is right not to spend anything until he knows what is happening.
Yes fair point. With nothing coming in, Scally is making sure there is nothing going out.
We can’t use debt the way other clubs like Rovers can.

Yes fair point. With nothing coming in, Scally is making sure there is nothing going out.
We can’t use debt the way other clubs like Rovers can.

use of debt is fine until the covenants get breached & the club is struggling to pay.

the restaurants chains that are all going into administration are perfect examples of how using debt to finance expansion can go horribly wrong

use of debt is fine until the covenants get breached & the club is struggling to pay.

the restaurants chains that are all going into administration are perfect examples of how using debt to finance expansion can go horribly wrong
The bank will not lend us any more ever again since the £12m debt was apparently written off. Hence we can only spend what we earn, unlike several other clubs who can write off millions per season and continue to operate.

Thats how I understood it, thanks for confirming (I'm a bit thick with business stuff which is why I never comment)
Companies like Pizza Express and Nandos are, i understand, struggling because of this. Is this an American business model? I only ask as it seems to be how The Glaziers run Manure and caused such a stink when they took over?

Thats how I understood it, thanks for confirming (I'm a bit thick with business stuff which is why I never comment)
Companies like Pizza Express and Nandos are, i understand, struggling because of this. Is this an American business model? I only ask as it seems to be how The Glaziers run Manure and caused such a stink when they took over?
If that is widely the case it might be as well Scally never had that American investment he spoke of recently.

Or any number of League 1 and 2 clubs who will offer a contract before Gillingham

Who else is hiring players right now mozzer?

Other than Rovers, I think I’ve seen Blackpool sign someone and that’s about it.

The L1 football forum
had a question particularly asking other clubs fans if their club is signing players like Rovers are. To a man nearly every reply was “no way. We want a club when football starts. Why sign anyone now”.

And that includes teams like Ipswich, Sunderland etc.’

Why do you think we should be signing up a squad of 20 players right now and pay them to sit around until football eventually starts? Are you going to be paying them?

With currently only around 8 players full time on our books, I reckon we are doing better than most.