Getting nervous yet? | Vital Football

Getting nervous yet?

MedwayModernist

Vital Squad Member
Been clock watching since pretty much 11am this morning. Stories of early rush hours expected on the roads on the BBC, and trying to wangle an early leave from the office (someone's managed to snag 4pm because of "childcare" issues).

Getting rather nervous for it now. I had thought it would have been a bit like Wales Portugal in the Euros where Wales had made massive impression just getting there, and there would be no shame finishing in the top four in Europe and losing to a team with Ronaldo in it.

However the more I think on it, England will simply never have a better chance of making a world cup final again, maybe in my lifetime... 28 years since the last world cup semi (also a favourable draw) and 22 years since the last time the England team had this much of a feel good factor about them.

So basically, getting very nervous/excited/irritable/sweaty ahead of the match, and just hope the lads can get the job done and make Sunday one of the drunkest days in the history of this country.

I guess I feel a little like that moment before Eric Dier scored his penalty, we will never get a better chance to win this!

.....as an aside, as my blood is a mix of Welsh and English, and having gotten behind Wales so much at the Euros last time out (I wanted Wales to win all their matches, but also wanted England to win all theirs apart from the Wales game), I never thought I'd be able to properly support England again. Then imagine my surprise to find myself going mad in the pub when Harry got the winner against Tunisia, and carrying that on to tonight.

England rugby can still fuck right off though.

Chilled out in a country pub, before heading home to watch the game with the family (can't watch England games in the pub, and haven't done since 1990...) This is our best chance in a long time, but we've already done well to get this far. To me this has already been a successful tournament. So am relaxed and confident, which will last until 7pm, when I will be as emotional as most people will be :-)

MedwayModernist, mixed race like you mate, but ENGLISH/Welsh, always England first. Been playing all the old World Cups songs (again) mixed in between classic Ska. Well up for it now. Speaking to lots of commuters whilst at work this morning, from all Nations all saying good luck and they want us to win. London has the feeling it had during the Olympics, pure magic. Just hope the result goes our way.

Copied a story I saw on BBC News by spending all day phoning my work colleague from different phones around the building to tell him "it's coming home" before hanging up. It has passed the day quite nicely.

Leaving in 10 minutes, pick up a few ciders on the way home before plonking myself down in front of the telly.

Not nervous but excited, like I’ve felt before every other game. I’m popping down the Factory for this one.

Same as Trev - expect I’ll be quite animated during the game but really looking forward to it.

Managed to get half an hour off work which would get me through my front door at 6.55 only for London underground to pull a dodgy set of signals out the bag. Big rush to Fenchurch Street and a later than planned train home. Won't get in until about 7.10 now so it's going on the planner to watch with a ten minute delay. Gutted.
Getting a bit nervy now, feel really confident but keep telling myself I shouldn't.
shit, I'm a wreck already

Unfortunately, we are not directly in their faces every time they get the ball, as we were with the build up games.

Well, that should not have happened and would not if we had played the same style as in the lead up. Failure to attack the ball and we are now in shit street.