Get a Grip Hortin | Page 4 | Vital Football

Get a Grip Hortin

no problem with them doing a radio lincs show, the problem is when their commentary is the only option for an ifollow broadcast which is specifically showing a lincoln game. in that case i would rather just have the crowd noise option for the game, as ifollow used to do. hortin doesn't add anything when you can see the game.

no problem with them doing a radio lincs show, the problem is when their commentary is the only option for an ifollow broadcast which is specifically showing a lincoln game. in that case i would rather just have the crowd noise option for the game, as ifollow used to do. hortin doesn't add anything when you can see the game.
I feel he does when you are only able to listen to the commentary, as is the case for all the 3pm away games.

I'm really not sure what some people want!
BBC radio Lincolnshire cover all sport in the county, as they should. LCFC get the lions share.
Moaning about travel updates?! It's local radio, of course they are going to give them. Virtually every radio station in the country does it. Believe it or not there are some that would like to avoid heavy traffic when making their way home after the game. I wish they would let me know there was going to be somebody driving at 25mph all the way from Saxilby to the A1, I could try another route home.
Moaning about telling listeners what's on next?! Virtually every broadcaster, radio and tv, does this.
Hortin and Co do an excellent job in covering a low level football league team. What does DC say about "sense of entitlement"? Pretty sure the Beeb ain't going to change a good product just because some people follow a provincialfootball club that has "recently" started winning more games than they lose, and nor should they!
The only thing that gets me a little is the Premier league reports. I can certainly get my fill of that on at least 2 other radio stations at the same time of day.

Last edited:
I'm really not sure what some people want!
BBC radio Lincolnshire cover all sport in the county, as they should. LCFC get the lions share.
Moaning about travel updates?! It's local radio, of course they are going to give them. Virtually every radio station in the country does it. Believe it or not there are some that would like to avoid heavy traffic when making their way home after the game. I wish they would let me know there was going to be somebody driving at 25mph all the way from Saxilby to the A1, I could try another route home.
Moaning about telling listeners what's on next?! Virtually every broadcaster, radio and tv, does this.
Hortin and Co do an excellent job in covering a low level football league team. What does DC say about "sense of entitlement"? Pretty sure the Beeb ain't going to change a good product just because some people follow a provincialfootball club that has "recently" started winning more games than they lose, and nor should they!
The only thing that gets me a little is the Premier league reports. I can certainly get my fill of that on at least 2 other radio stations at the same time of day.

Ref the Prem League stuff. I think they are just fillers whilst they are waiting for people to interview and to sort out the shenanigans in the background so as it doesn't sound like poor radio rambling.

I like Thommo. Hortin annoys me though. Screams too much like Jonathan Pearce. Prefer commentators to commentate not scream their heads off.

Hortin has also developed an annoying habit of chumminess through the commentary, chuntering small talk non stop.

Much prefer Makepeace's commentary.

I like Thommo. Hortin annoys me though. Screams too much like Jonathan Pearce. Prefer commentators to commentate not scream their heads off.

Hortin has also developed an annoying habit of chumminess through the commentary, chuntering small talk non stop.

Much prefer Makepeace's commentary.
Like the passion of Hortin. I certainly scream too much at matches. Compared with other local stations so much better. What is wrong with chumminess?

Like the passion of Hortin. I certainly scream too much at matches. Compared with other local stations so much better. What is wrong with chumminess?

Because he stops commentating prefering to do "dad jokes" with Thommo, which thommo even seems to just shrug off. sometimes he will take one joke on for too long and you can imagine Thommo getting ready to give him a slap.

HE goes mad when we score, yet when opponents score hardly tells you that they have. You can spend the next minute wondering what has happened.

You like Hortin, I don't. opinions. we all have them.

HE goes mad when we score, yet when opponents score hardly tells you that they have. You can spend the next minute wondering what has happened.

You like Hortin, I don't. opinions. we all have them.
To be fair it is radio Lincolnshire, I wouldn't expect him getting excited when the other side score.

Makepeace is awful. Sounds like a 13 year old Starwars fanatic who stumbled into the studio whilst playing with his lightsabre. I cite the Friday Football show as an example of this, utterly unlistenable since he took the helm.

Makepeace is awful. Sounds like a 13 year old Starwars fanatic who stumbled into the studio whilst playing with his lightsabre. I cite the Friday Football show as an example of this, utterly unlistenable since he took the helm.

I'm basing my preference on the one and only time I heard him commentating while Hortin was doing something else. So maybe not the best way to assess his abilities so fair enough.

Still preferable to Hortin though.

Overall Radio Lincs provides superb coverage. Live commentary for Every match with build up and after match interviews. A preview show on the Friday night. In Thommo we have an excellent summerisor, who has a huge knowledge of the game from both a player managers perspective. I don’t think that’s bad for a fourth th division club.:clap:

I'm basing my preference on the one and only time I heard him commentating while Hortin was doing something else. So maybe not the best way to assess his abilities so fair enough.

Still preferable to Hortin though.

When Radio Lincolnshire struck up in the pomp of the Murph era, the station was more interested in broadcasting Elvis syndicated shows on a Saturday afternoon, if you were lucky there was a 2 min full time report amongst the classified results. I for one like Hortin, Makepeace and Thommo.

Because he stops commentating prefering to do "dad jokes" with Thommo, which thommo even seems to just shrug off. sometimes he will take one joke on for too long and you can imagine Thommo getting ready to give him a slap.

I wholeheartedly agree with this comment. Some people may like it, it is personal preference. I wouldn't mind it so much if Hortin was funny, but in-jokes tend to go over the head of the listeners and as you rightly say even those in on the joke don't find it funny. I think they do a good job, but cut this out and the Liverpool/Premier stuff. IMO it would be a better show.

When Radio Lincolnshire struck up in the pomp of the Murph era, the station was more interested in broadcasting Elvis syndicated shows on a Saturday afternoon, if you were lucky there was a 2 min full time report amongst the classified results. I for one like Hortin, Makepeace and Thommo.

I can't remember when Radio Lincolnshire started, but when I used to listen to it in the 1980s and into the 1990s on Saturday afternoons you used to get brief updates from the reporter at the match every 15 minutes or so - prior to kick-off, one at half time, two during each half and one at the end. They were similar to the updates from Boston, Gainsborough, etc that we get during the match coverage these days.

Can't remember who introduced the programme - 'Ed' Lacey? Or was he just for the midweek matches?

That degree of coverage was all that local radio stations were allowed to carry in those days.

I too am quite happy with the present coverage.