German League to resume... | Vital Football

German League to resume...

LancsGordoRoad

Vital Champions League
Announced today that the Bundesliga will resume shortly - start date to be announced tomorrow.

This could be our nearest live football, notwithstanding (no terrace pun intended ;)) that the games will be behind closed doors. So, who will you support ? Which German team will become your favourite and, will Gills 58 be entering the Bundi-Prediction League???

I think i`m going to follow the progress of 1899 Hoffenheim, mostly because it sounds like a fine lager , but also, because they`re currently mid-table.

Who will you choose, and why ????????????????

Hertha because I love Berlin. Have been about six times now, love the city and the stadium is fantastic. They did have a few ex PL players but just one now (Solomon Kalou) and until recently, Jurgen Klinsmann was their manager so a few familiar faces have come and gone over the years.
Usually end up just outside the Europa league places but did qualify about 3 or 4 years ago..........got dumped out early.

Oh, and they play in blue and white 😉

Luckily, they frequently get picked for live games on BT sport so have managed to see a few matches each season

Hertha because I love Berlin. Have been about six times now, love the city and the stadium is fantastic. They did have a few ex PL players but just one now (Solomon Kalou) and until recently, Jurgen Klinsmann was their manager so a few familiar faces have come and gone over the years.
Usually end up just outside the Europa league places but did qualify about 3 or 4 years ago..........got dumped out early.

Oh, and they play in blue and white 😉

Luckily, they frequently get picked for live games on BT sport so have managed to see a few matches each season

Me too, they're my local team, but they're hilarious in their ability to attract unnecessary trouble (e.g. Klinsmann) and Solomon Kalou was suspended this week for putting up a video online of him coming into training that showed everyone high-fiving each other, hugging and generally slobbering all over each other like fucking idiots. It's way too early to be playing football anyway.

Me too, they're my local team, but they're hilarious in their ability to attract unnecessary trouble (e.g. Klinsmann) and Solomon Kalou was suspended this week for putting up a video online of him coming into training that showed everyone high-fiving each other, hugging and generally slobbering all over each other like fucking idiots. It's way too early to be playing football anyway.
Yeah, saw that. Bit gutted as hes my favourite player there atm. Always pulls out a good display for TV.

Yeah, saw that. Bit gutted as hes my favourite player there atm. Always pulls out a good display for TV.

I like him too. He's been there for a while and has always been a pretty decent player but he dropped a bollock there. It seems the suspension is primarily for being daft enough to get caught. But that's Hertha for you.

It's a cliche but Dortmund. Parents lived there, emphasis on youth, the yellow wall, rivals with Bayern, got an English player, iconic kit and my only German mate supports them. Easy.

Freiburg as my Gills obsessive mate has been giving me regular reports on them and watches them several times a year. I feel I know them personally.

Jogills and Neill Harvey on this board will know who I'm referring to.

Also a look out for Schalke 04 as another Gills obsessive mate now exiled in Southampton follows them after having a pen pal there decades ago.

Re entering the prediction league, I am available for advice at very competitive rates. 20% discount for emergency service workers with the first match free.

I like him too. He's been there for a while and has always been a pretty decent player but he dropped a bollock there. It seems the suspension is primarily for being daft enough to get caught. But that's Hertha for you.
Maybe similarities to the Gills is what makes us like them 😉

Have to say, the home fans in "The curve" make a fantastic atmosphere. Little bit manufactured but I like it. I also love the fact that although they do have a few "ultras", they tend to arrange their naughtiness at a station away from the main line where the more law abiding fans won't get caught up in it. How very efficient. 🤣

Right you lot, don't say I never do anything for you:

Alderman Barnes’s totally objective guide to the Bundesliga.

FC Bayern München
Colours: Red and white
Champions: 29 times
Cup winners: 19 times
The biggest, baddest team in the Bundesliga. Weren’t all that good until a young Franz Beckenbauer was punched in the face when playing Munich’s dominant team TSV 1860, so decided to sign for their rivals Bayern, who then put together a locally raised team that went on to dominate Europe. After that, they no longer relied on local players but developed the tactic of promoting club legends to senior positions in the firm and buying up all their closest rivals’ best players. Champions for 9 out of the past 10 seasons.
Niceness factor: 1
English equivalent: Manchester United squared

Borussia Dortmund

Colours: Yellow and black
Champions: 8 times
Cup winners: 4 times
The favourite for romantics who can’t bring themselves to support a proper underdog. The legendary Yellow Wall, “You’ll Never Walk Alone”, Jürgen Klopp. You can see where I’m going here.
Niceness factor: 4
English equivalent: Liverpool

RB (that’s Rasenballsport, not Red Bull, oh no, certainly not) Leipzig
Colours: White and red
Champions: 0 times
Cup winners: 0 times
Franchise outfit of a disgusting Austrian energy drink that pounced on the moribund football scene in Leipzig like a parasitic wasp, bought a village team, built a huge stadium in town and bought its way all the way up to the top. Inevitably praised by establishment pundits as the sensible way forward in an attempt to normalise that sort of behaviour.
Niceness factor: -10
English equivalent: MK Dons to the power of a million

Bayer Leverkusen
Colours: Red and black
Cup winners: 1 time
Used to get moaned at as a chemical factory team pumped up with company money. Now seem positively attractive compared with what’s come along since.
Niceness factor: 2
English equivalent: Middlesbrough

Borussia Mönchengladbach
Colours: White, green and black
Champions: 5 times
Cup winners: 3 times
A proper club from a town that’s not all that big but that has held its own over the years, but were really good in the early 70s.
Niceness factor: 6
English equivalent: Leeds United without having to throw all their medals into the bin.

VfL Wolfsburg
Colours: Green and white
Champions: 1 time
Like Leverkusen, but for cars instead of chemicals.
English equivalent: Coventry

Eintracht Frankfurt
Cup winners: 5 times
Perennial exciting underachievers. Occasionally have really good squads that tragically come second.
English equivalent: Tottenham

Werder Bremen
Champions: 4 times
Cup winners: 6 times
Another provincial club who have always done well, especially under long-serving, charismatic managers like Otto Rehhagel.
Niceness factor: 8
English equivalent: Nottingham Forest (I know)

TSG Hoffenheim
Colours: Blue
Another test-tube village club, but at least their sugar-daddy actually used to play for them, rather than picking them for optimum demographic suitability.
English equivalent: Fleetwood Town cubed

Fortuna Düsseldorf

Cup winners: 2 times
Perennial yo-yo club who’ve been through hard times, nice to see them back up.
English equivalent: Wolverhampton Wanderers

Hertha Berlin
Colours: Blue and white
Champions: 2 times
Perennial capital-city underachievers, prone to comedy fuck-ups wherever possible.
Niceness factor: 5
English equivalent: West Ham United

Mainz 05
Agreeable provincial triers.
English equivalent: Southampton

SC Freiburg
Agreeable provincial triers, but from a university town.
English equivalent: Oxford United in the 1980s

Schalke 04
Champions: 7 times
Cup winners: 8 times
Coal-mining, massive tradition, huge support, haven’t won anything since the thirties despite regular hilariously heart-breaking near-misses.
English equivalent: obviously Newcastle United

FC Augsburg
Colours: Red, green and white
Here we go again. More agreeable provincial triers.
English equivalent: Ipswich?

1.FC Köln
Champions: 3 times
The people of Cologne are delighted by their own sense of humour and never stop going on about it.
English equivalent: Everton

SC Paderborn
Colours: Blue and black
Small-town club completely out of their depth.
Niceness factor: 9
English equivalent: because of the black and blue stripes, Hess-era Gills

1. FC Union Berlin
Cup winners: 0 times (GDR cup 1968)
Berlin’s alternative team, focus of East German opposition, fans built their own stadium.
English equivalent: unfortunately Charlton, but not such wankers

Last edited:
Well it's Hannover but they've dropped out of the top division. Our head office was there and my English friend (who lives and works there) has a season ticket for Hannover and Watford! Hannover ticket is much cheaper.

Did a little Bundesliga tour last summer. Stadium tours at Koln, Schalke, Dortmund and St.Pauli and then saw a game at HSV.

I would say HSV but guessing I cant as they are liga 2.

Dortmund it is as their stadium is incredible even if it was my least favourite city on the tour.

Right you lot, don't say I never do anything for you:

Alderman Barnes’s totally objective guide to the Bundesliga.

FC Bayern München
Champions: 29 times
Cup winners: 19 times
The biggest, baddest team in the Bundesliga. Weren’t all that good until a young Franz Beckenbauer was punched in the face when playing Munich’s dominant team TSV 1860, so decided to sign for their rivals Bayern, who then put together a locally raised team that went on to dominate Europe. After that, they no longer relied on local players but developed the tactic of promoting club legends to senior positions in the firm and buying up all their closest rivals’ best players. Champions for 9 out of the past 10 seasons.
English equivalent: Manchester United squared

Borussia Dortmund

Colours: Yellow and black
Champions: 8 times
The favourite for romantics who can’t bring themselves to support a proper underdog. The legendary Yellow Wall, “You’ll Never Walk Alone”, Jürgen Klopp. You can see where I’m going here.
Niceness factor: 4
English equivalent: Liverpool

RB (that’s Rasenballsport, not Red Bull, oh no, certainly not) Leipzig
Franchise outfit of a disgusting Austrian energy drink that pounced on the moribund football scene in Leipzig like a parasitic wasp, bought a village team, built a huge stadium in town and bought its way all the way up to the top. Inevitably praised by establishment pundits as the sensible way forward in an attempt to normalise that sort of behaviour.
Niceness factor: -10
English equivalent: MK Dons to the power of a million

Bayer Leverkusen
Used to get moaned at as a chemical factory team pumped up with company money. Now seem positively attractive compared with what’s come along since.
English equivalent: Middlesbrough

Borussia Mönchengladbach
Colours: White, green and black
Champions: 5 times
Cup winners: 3 times
A proper club from a town that’s not all that big but that has held its own over the years, but were really good in the early 70s.
English equivalent: Leeds United without having to throw all their medals into the bin.

VfL Wolfsburg
Like Leverkusen, but for cars instead of chemicals.
English equivalent: Coventry

Eintracht Frankfurt
Cup winners: 5 times
Perennial exciting underachievers. Occasionally have really good squads that tragically come second.
English equivalent: Tottenham

Werder Bremen
Champions: 4 times
Cup winners: 6 times
Another provincial club who have always done well, especially under long-serving, charismatic managers like Otto Rehhagel.
English equivalent: Nottingham Forest (I know)

TSG Hoffenheim
Colours: Blue
Another test-tube village club, but at least their sugar-daddy actually used to play for them, rather than picking them for optimum demographic suitability.
English equivalent: Fleetwood Town cubed

Fortuna Düsseldorf

Cup winners: 2 times
Perennial yo-yo club who’ve been through hard times, nice to see them back up.
English equivalent: Wolverhampton Wanderers

Hertha Berlin
Champions: 2 times
Perennial capital-city underachievers, prone to comedy fuck-ups wherever possible.
English equivalent: West Ham United

Mainz 05
Agreeable provincial triers.
English equivalent: Southampton

SC Freiburg
Agreeable provincial triers, but from a university town.
English equivalent: Oxford United in the 1980s

Schalke 04
Champions: 7 times
Cup winners: 8 times
Coal-mining, massive tradition, huge support, haven’t won anything since the thirties despite regular hilariously heart-breaking near-misses.
English equivalent: obviously Newcastle United

FC Augsburg
Colours: Red, green and white
Here we go again. More agreeable provincial triers.
English equivalent: Ipswich?

1.FC Köln
Champions: 3 times
The people of Cologne are delighted by their own sense of humour and never stop going on about it.
English equivalent: Everton

SC Paderborn
Colours: Blue and black
Small-town club completely out of their depth.
Niceness factor: 9
English equivalent: because of the black and blue stripes, Hess-era Gills

1. FC Union Berlin
Cup winners: 0 times (GDR cup 1968)
Berlin’s alternative team, focus of East German opposition, fans built their own stadium.
English equivalent: unfortunately Charlton, but not such wankers

Nice one Alderman. Wasn't particularly interested but as SC Paderborn are crap and play in my favourite Gills shirts that's me sorted!!