General politics thread: | Page 81 | Vital Football

General politics thread:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone who doesn't know the history of Rhodes (especially by now) should be nowhere near such a great seat of learning.
It would be a plaque of shame to placate the wokes and endow a shallow sense of superiority to those who wish it be so.

Much better to pander to the gammons and racists who unthinkingly worship statues.

Brewdog. The company that preaches wokeism and judges everyone, has just been proven to be guilty of everything it has ever accused anyone else of. LOL

Next up Ben and Jerry’s?

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-57428258
I guess its more evidence that 'woke' brands are the epitome of virtue signalling. Companies aren't your friends, even if they pretend to be.
Nice that they are using this news as simply more marketing for their brand though. No-one's going to not buy the beer they want because of this, but a few more people might recognize Brewdog stuff in the offy.

I agree with that, but you haven't answered the question.

I ambivalent about many things which don't have an effect on me personally. I drink their produce from time to time, but I think it's expensive for what it is. There is better for less and their companies are not in the news being all Tarquin and Greta.

I ambivalent about many things which don't have an effect on me personally. I drink their produce from time to time, but I think it's expensive for what it is. There is better for less and their companies are not in the news being all Tarquin and Greta.
Still missing the question.
If they weren't all Tarquin and Greta they would be better companies, right?

Just a thought.

Why did FIFA fine England for wearing poppies during the match played on Rememberance Sunday? That gesture of remembering those who gave their lives in defence of this country wasn't seen as acceptable. Why is the taking the knee acceptable if wearing poppies isn't?

Just a thought.

Why did FIFA fine England for wearing poppies during the match played on Rememberance Sunday? That gesture of remembering those who gave their lives in defence of this country wasn't seen as acceptable. Why is the taking the knee acceptable if wearing poppies isn't?

Taking the knee isn’t acceptable. We’re out of step now with everyone. Southgate and the FA are not reading the room.

Just a thought.

The poppy was seen as a political emblem and is therefore banned.

If a decision is made that taking the knee is political then that will be banned too.

The poppy was seen as a political emblem and is therefore banned.

If a decision is made that taking the knee is political then that will be banned too.
Why on Earth is wearing a poppy political?
It is to honour our dead: how can that be construed as political?
The war freed the peoples of Europe from tyranny: there would have been precious little freedom without it.

Why on Earth is wearing a poppy political?
It is to honour our dead: how can that be construed as political?
The war freed the peoples of Europe from tyranny: there would have been precious little freedom without it.
Because from certain points of view, some of the wars/ situations in which soldiers gave their lives were not for defence but were both political and wrong- particularly certain deployments very close to home.

Because from certain points of view, some of the wars/ situations in which soldiers gave their lives were not for defence but were both political and wrong- particularly certain deployments very close to home.
I totally agree: some wars (many) are political, but I contend that that WW2 was a profound act of humanity on the part of the Allies.
Were we to suffer under the yoke of Naziism, there would, sadly, have been no black people in this country to share our culture, and hospitality, and the Jewish race would have been obliterated.
Wearing a poppy is akin to putting flowers on your mother's grave.
An act of remembrance pure and simple.
Whomsoever decided that it is political is a fecking eejit.

I totally agree: some wars (many) are political, but I contend that that WW2 was a profound act of humanity on the part of the Allies.
Were we to suffer under the yoke of Naziism, there would, sadly, have been no black people in this country to share our culture, and hospitality, and the Jewish race would have been obliterated.
Wearing a poppy is akin to putting flowers on your mother's grave.
An act of remembrance pure and simple.
Whomsoever decided that it is political is a fecking eejit.
I wonder if you may have missed hints as to what IRELAND I was talking about in terms of how different people might perceive the activities of British soldiers who died in certain kinds of action.

I don't think anyone objects to poppies over WWI or WWII

Status
Not open for further replies.