General politics thread: | Page 77 | Vital Football

General politics thread:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe they should but...
Maybe every single time people try to bring them down the tories gain 3-4 points in the polls, and then push the point for 6 months afterwards.

Also, I take great issue with the phrase 'The lies of our partial mythology'.
Mythology is never full of factual truth, but is somewhat necessary for the togetherness and shared identity of a people. I find it bizarre that there are many on the left who seem to promote certain identities while undermining others, as if its a competition to see who can have the better identity. I find the statue wars to just be more of that, and I don't think the public see it any differently. This style of culture war waging never, ever wins for the left. It just loses more and more as time goes on.

I remember going to the Isaac Newton statue in Grantham with school and it genuinely helped me learn science as a kid, putting a face (even a crappy statue face) to the name I had read in textbooks, and learning about his achievements through the lens of local culture helped reinforce the message that if i learned science, maybe i could become a local hero too. Its one of the few days at school I actually remember really well.

If you'd read the whole article he makes many of those points...

I don't necessarily agree with everything he writes either, I just like people with different, thoughtful perspectives on difficult subjects.

Maybe they should but...
Maybe every single time people try to bring them down the tories gain 3-4 points in the polls, and then push the point for 6 months afterwards.

Also, I take great issue with the phrase 'The lies of our partial mythology'.
Mythology is never full of factual truth, but is somewhat necessary for the togetherness and shared identity of a people. I find it bizarre that there are many on the left who seem to promote certain identities while undermining others, as if its a competition to see who can have the better identity. I find the statue wars to just be more of that, and I don't think the public see it any differently. This style of culture war waging never, ever wins for the left. It just loses more and more as time goes on.

I remember going to the Isaac Newton statue in Grantham with school and it genuinely helped me learn science as a kid, putting a face (even a crappy statue face) to the name I had read in textbooks, and learning about his achievements through the lens of local culture helped reinforce the message that if i learned science, maybe i could become a local hero too. Its one of the few days at school I actually remember really well.
An old headteacher I once worked with years ago said "everyone is looking for their tribe". They were absolutely right.

As human beings, we are always looking for a "tribe" to identify with. What else are we all doing on here, for example?

Yuval Noah Harare contends that human groups cease to function once they break past the 100 barrier. If I remember his argument correctly (it's a few years ago now), the use of symbols and common mythology is a construct to keep artificially large groups together.

WOW chaps!!!!!! Fish and chips may become cheaper due to the post brexit trade deal with Iceland,Norway and Liechtenstein. I have just got dressed to queue outside the chippy 4 hours before opening just in case of the rush chaps!!!!

WOW chaps!!!!!! Fish and chips may become cheaper due to the post brexit trade deal with Iceland,Norway and Liechtenstein. I have just got dressed to queue outside the chippy 4 hours before opening just in case of the rush chaps!!!!
And it’ll be cheaper to have your sausage battered too chap!

An old headteacher I once worked with years ago said "everyone is looking for their tribe". They were absolutely right.

As human beings, we are always looking for a "tribe" to identify with. What else are we all doing on here, for example?

If animals count as a tribe then fair play. Id genuinelly live with them before people, I prefer them as company. Not flippantly either. I wonder if it would be different if there were just a few people who were a little bit needy.. Hmm, I think theres just too many friggin people haha

Nothing ever becomes cheaper tho does it? Even when it should, be it fuel prices, sellling a billion phones but your prices rise every year, to duty free trade deals.

An interesting subject, ironically I suppose food has actually became cheaper, but at the same time we have some poor food and a poorly planet left over from it.

I.T and the internet, which is kinda hailed as the free global service has become very expensive. From the P.C which never goes down in price, only up in spec, to new phones and thier monthly charges, the internet fees at home, the tv subscription packages, sports channels, every single poxy work app I look at nowadays seems to be 30 euros a month when I feel it should be literally 1 euro, this whole area must be taking up more money than people food bills. Maybe it should all be government owned and free or summat, wed all be far better off

Pretty sad if that's the room...

Not really,
The whole Foreign Aid programme needs a root and branch reform. We don’t know where all of our money goes. The ideologues who get their egos massaged by virtue signalling this subject will focus us on a couple of projects and ignore reports such as the recent one that believes up to a sixth of our money ends up in bank accounts.

Not really,
The whole Foreign Aid programme needs a root and branch reform. We don’t know where all of our money goes. The ideologues who get their egos massaged by virtue signalling this subject will focus us on a couple of projects and ignore reports such as the recent one that believes up to a sixth of our money ends up in bank accounts.

Lol even if we take your figure that means over 83% is going to useful projects.

Aside from that, how does cutting foreign aid change that % in any shape or form lol it just means less money is reaching people who desperately need it.

It also is not a good political look.

Lol even if we take your figure that means over 83% is going to useful projects.

Aside from that, how does cutting foreign aid change that % in any shape or form lol it just means less money is reaching people who desperately need it.

It also is not a good political look.

We’re also giving money to countries who’ve yet to make one of your pet subjects slavery, illegal. Is this something the UK should be doing?

We’re also giving money to countries who’ve yet to make one of your pet subjects slavery, illegal. Is this something the UK should be doing?

I'm not against analysing how we can more effectively use our aid budget and making changes but this is just white noise to disguise the immorality here.

I'm not against analysing how we can more effectively use our aid budget and making changes but this is just white noise to disguise the immorality here.

We must have greater transparency showing what was spent, where it was spent and what was delivered.
The UK, in Oxford Uni and AZ, have given the world far more than pound notes.

We must have greater transparency showing what was spent, where it was spent and what was delivered.
The UK, in Oxford Uni and AZ, have given the world far more than pound notes.

How many doses have we given the world? China is currently at 350m, how many have the UK manufacturered and sent overseas?

Also more white noise to justify immorality. The reality is aid will be cut off from those who most desperately need it. Cutting aid won't solve any of the issues you list, it will just lead to deaths and misery.

Hungry and Chile, done well with China’s vaccine?

AZ sends a billion doses to small and medium economic countries. They just don’t shout about it.

Europe takes 400m AZ doses but is sitting on 60m doses. Has them stockpiled.

Status
Not open for further replies.