General politics thread: | Page 85 | Vital Football

General politics thread:

Status
Not open for further replies.
It isn't their "right of centre views" so much as the stirring up of hated. Clues in the name.
In any case, I believe SFH's game plan is to present to companies examples of the newspapers' output (and maybe now tv stations) and asking companies that advertise with them if they really want to be aligned with, and fund, those organisations. The companies can choose to do what they want.

Stirring up hatred?
Stop blubbing ;-)

No you’re right, mental health and the economy is so irrelevant and stupid too. Why talk about that.

Oh and you must have meant to reply to a different comment given it had nothing to do with what I said.

Because analysis has shown that the countries that take aggressive action to halt the spread of C19 are economically less hit. Putting your head in the sand damages the economy more.

Similarly if we'd been more aggressive with lockdowns and border controls then they would have been far shorter. Far less strain on mental health and far less strain on the NHS for helping those who need it.

Closing your eyes and wishing it away doesn't work.

So to summarise IKEA and their 'Humanistic values'...
  1. Founded by a Nazi.
  2. Used slave labour to make furniture
  3. Fined €1m just this week for spying on employees in France
  4. Operates in Saudi Arabia which beheaded a 17 year old man this week for taking part in a demonstration.
  5. Cancelled ads on GB News after baseless woke complaints.

I think I'll increase my popcorn order this week.

1. Founded by a Nazi.
  4. Operates in Saudi Arabia which beheaded a 17 year old man this week for taking part in a demonstration.

I hope no true leftist would see IKEA as anything other than a company trying to get good PR. They are almost certainly shitheads by virtue of the size of their operation...

I suppose you wouldn't want to question why this kind of move would entail 'good PR' though...

I hope no true leftist would see IKEA as anything other than a company trying to get good PR. They are almost certainly shitheads by virtue of the size of their operation...

I suppose you wouldn't want to question why this kind of move would entail 'good PR' though...

Let Stret have his anti-capatilist rant, before we know it he'll be joining Marxist movements like BLM.

Because analysis has shown that the countries that take aggressive action to halt the spread of C19 are economically less hit. Putting your head in the sand damages the economy more.

Similarly if we'd been more aggressive with lockdowns and border controls then they would have been far shorter. Far less strain on mental health and far less strain on the NHS for helping those who need it.

Closing your eyes and wishing it away doesn't work.

You’re missing my point though. I’m not disagreeing with you about lockdown - my point was that there was never a balance to the equation by way of general interviewing or perspective so people understood the implications.

Can you honestly say hand on heart that you’ve felt the media have at least covered the devastation this has caused to people around the country? You might argue ‘well we need a lockdown, so what difference does it make?’, but whilst this is anecdotal, people don’t seem to realise the harm, people lack sympathy for anybody speaking out about How it’s affected them cus “Do you not care about people dying, selfish?”.

It’s not just the media, but government too. I’d honestly swallow this lockdown better if I thought people actually gave a shit about people and jobs and they recognized what’s happening, but there seems to be a real “well I’m not affected so get on with it attitude”.

You won’t see a graph talking about mental health or job losses at these briefings, but you can bet your life they’re horrendous. And fine, I understand your point, but surely you can see mine when it comes to narrative?

So you believe there’s been balance to what’s been talked about in mainstream media? There has not. Have we heard from anybody whose jobs been lost or whose had suicidal thoughts?

No we haven’t, but you can bet your life there will be an interview talking about caution or somebody’s effects of Covid. I’m sorry ITTO but you and Calvin don’t even realise the hypocrisy in your comments about balance.

It’s important to talk about Covid and the effects, but you’d think there were no other factors in this at all if the news were anything to go by.
I can't agree, Will. I have barely seen anything recently without representation from, for example, the hospitality sector describing their troubles in great detail.

What are you including in "mainstream news"?

You’re missing my point though. I’m not disagreeing with you about lockdown - my point was that there was never a balance to the equation by way of general interviewing or perspective so people understood the implications.

Can you honestly say hand on heart that you’ve felt the media have at least covered the devastation this has caused to people around the country? You might argue ‘well we need a lockdown, so what difference does it make?’, but whilst this is anecdotal, people don’t seem to realise the harm, people lack sympathy for anybody speaking out about How it’s affected them cus “Do you not care about people dying, selfish?”.

It’s not just the media, but government too. I’d honestly swallow this lockdown better if I thought people actually gave a shit about people and jobs and they recognized what’s happening, but there seems to be a real “well I’m not affected so get on with it attitude”.

You won’t see a graph talking about mental health or job losses at these briefings, but you can bet your life they’re horrendous. And fine, I understand your point, but surely you can see mine when it comes to narrative?
This is true, but i wouldn't blame the MSM for it exactly. There's been alot of discussion about presenting a consistent story to the public. Essentially those in the media have been told, and generally agree, that their job is to get people to follow the rules and their reporting reflects that.
I suppose its not easy for them to figure out how to report on covid.

1. Founded by a Nazi.

Looks like they need to sort their shit out.
Gotta start somewhere..

I'm not attempting to defend this government, by and large they've been incompetent and uncaring.

The BBC has definitely covered mental health and other implications though:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-55957105

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-56913227

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/science-environment-55412079

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000h7sp

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56847478

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-56581156

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-56736593

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/articl...-the-possible-long-term-mental-health-impacts

https://www.bbcchildreninneed.co.uk...Vaw1paR6qEVrDye0GkeRHnfug&cshid=1623847156567

And on and on. If you think you're going to get serious discussion and analysis like thst on Gammon TV then good luck.

I'm certainly not brushing those issues under the carpet but I do genuinely feel like I've seen many of those stories with business owners who have had to close, health care workers at their wits end, parents trying their best to work from home, school kids, shool kids taking exams, University students, and so on.

Looks like they need to sort their shit out.
Gotta start somewhere..

Yes, by signalling their virtue on one hand, but being found out sticking a finger up at it, with the other.

If only they'd kept quiet, all these revelations would have not come to light.

I'm certainly not brushing those issues under the carpet but I do genuinely feel like I've seen many of those stories with business owners who have had to close, health care workers at their wits end, parents trying their best to work from home, school kids, shool kids taking exams, University students, and so on.
I think the issue is that many feel that there isn't a justification for that suffering to continue, but the message from the media is that its necessary.

I think the issue is that many feel that there isn't a justification for that suffering to continue, but the message from the media is that its necessary.

As I've pointed out, anybody who is happy/ambivalent to be locked down in perpetuity, is doing so from a position of privilege; IE their lives are unaffected (furlough, wealth, ability to WFH, etc.)

Stop furlough tomorrow and the masses will rise up out of their over used sofas, wobble their newly rotund harris into the streets, via McDonalds, and complain.

Only then will the ivory tower inhabitants, who are recommending this latest, cripplingly pointless lockdown on us, may listen. Wouldn't count on it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.