General politics thread: | Page 84 | Vital Football

General politics thread:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool, so you now support their right to kneel? Good to know.

I do support it, the cause is needed. I think they could get more engagement with the average football fan though, by reinventing it and distancing from other political messages caught up in the TTK symbolism.
Anyhoo, did this to death yesterday.

It's bizarre. As has been mentioned on here 'Boomers' are probably the generation with the most disposable income, yet they are being overlooked.

If I were head of marketing of a non-age specific product, selling to the public, I would not turn my back on a huge section of my target audience. It is baffling economic foot-shooting.
I might agree with that but it is their decision, isn't it?

There are now attempts to boycott those companies. That really is cancel culture - a deliberate attempt to deny or damage their business - whereas a company deciding where it advertises really isn't. They aren't cancelling gbnews, they are just choosing not to help it actively.

Lol. I find it crazy that companies engage in politics at all; it's got the added jeopardy of alienating a large section of their market.
It's better to remain quiet, etc.

All very odd.
I'm not sure it's the companies that are odd. WUM anybody?

Particularly rich from IKEA, who have withdrawn due to values not lining up with GBNews, whilst their CEO endures a 2 year suspended jail sentence for spying on staff.

I’m with Strett here. The channel, whether people like it or not, is an alternative to main stream media that many feel is necessary. Take COVID as an example, there’s been no balance to the equation at all when it comes to lockdown and the devastation it’s caused. Millions have been without a voice in mainstream media and I fully support a channel that’s willing to change that.
Do you even watch the news or political shows? The BBC are required to have a balance of voices and over heard many many voices with views that align with yours.

Not saying you are doing this, Will, but the angry anti-BBC nonsense leads to persecution of journalists like we saw yesterday with Nick Watt. That's from the left and the right. A free press is an essential pillar of democracy. People who know what they are doing have whipped this up and are attempting to turn people away, towards outlets where a balance of views is not a central tenet. That's problematic.

I might agree with that but it is their decision, isn't it?

There are now attempts to boycott those companies. That really is cancel culture - a deliberate attempt to deny or damage their business - whereas a company deciding where it advertises really isn't. They aren't cancelling gbnews, they are just choosing not to help it actively.

It certainly is their decision, and execs live and die by them.
I read that yesterday, GB news got more viewers than SKY and BBC news combined, so the decision is questionable. More questionable is going on social media telling millions the reasons for pulling the adverts.

Do you even watch the news or political shows? The BBC are required to have a balance of voices and over heard many many voices with views that align with yours.

Not saying you are doing this, Will, but the angry anti-BBC nonsense leads to persecution of journalists like we saw yesterday with Nick Watt. That's from the left and the right. A free press is an essential pillar of democracy. People who know what they are doing have whipped this up and are attempting to turn people away, towards outlets where a balance of views is not a central tenet. That's problematic.

It is bizarre then, that the left are trying to turn companies away from GB News in an attempt to silence them.

It certainly is their decision, and execs live and die by them.
I read that yesterday, GB news got more viewers than SKY and BBC news combined, so the decision is questionable. More questionable is going on social media telling millions the reasons for pulling the adverts.
They might have considered viewer figures and demographics before making their decision..

Yeah, that stupid science, who needs it? Life was so much better when we dealt with outbreaks by painting crosses on doors and burning bodies.

No you’re right, mental health and the economy is so irrelevant and stupid too. Why talk about that.

Oh and you must have meant to reply to a different comment given it had nothing to do with what I said.

Last edited:
They haven't tried to take it off air.

They can't take it off air (whoever they are), but Stop Funding Hate, a social media campaign group, has previously organised boycotts of some national newspapers that promote right-of-centre views.

They published a list of GB News advertisers online to rally support behind its efforts to starve the channel of advertising income.

They can't take it off air (whoever they are), but Stop Funding Hate, a social media campaign group, has previously organised boycotts of some national newspapers that promote right-of-centre views.

They published a list of GB News advertisers online to rally support behind its efforts to starve the channel of advertising income.
It isn't their "right of centre views" so much as the stirring up of hated. Clues in the name.
In any case, I believe SFH's game plan is to present to companies examples of the newspapers' output (and maybe now tv stations) and asking companies that advertise with them if they really want to be aligned with, and fund, those organisations. The companies can choose to do what they want.

It isn't their "right of centre views" so much as the stirring up of hated. Clues in the name.
In any case, I believe SFH's game plan is to present to companies examples of the newspapers' output (and maybe now tv stations) and asking companies that advertise with them if they really want to be aligned with, and fund, those organisations. The companies can choose to do what they want.

I think GBNews would get more money than advertising, for suing the companies who accuse them of hate crimes.

So you believe there’s been balance to what’s been talked about in mainstream media? There has not. Have we heard from anybody whose jobs been lost or whose had suicidal thoughts?

No we haven’t, but you can bet your life there will be an interview talking about caution or somebody’s effects of Covid. I’m sorry ITTO but you and Calvin don’t even realise the hypocrisy in your comments about balance.

It’s important to talk about Covid and the effects, but you’d think there were no other factors in this at all if the news were anything to go by.

So IKEA have given this statement regarding advertising on GB News...

“IKEA has not knowingly advertised on GB News. We have safeguards in place to prevent our advertising from appearing on platforms that are not in line with our humanistic values and vision to side with the many people."

To be clear this is the same IKEA who sell and advertise in Saudi Arabia.
IKEA also cut women out of their Saudi catalogue in 2012.
Saudi regard being gay as punishable by death.

It seems IKEA's "humanistic values" don't included sexism and homophobia.

Sigh.

So IKEA have given this statement regarding advertising on GB News...

“IKEA has not knowingly advertised on GB News. We have safeguards in place to prevent our advertising from appearing on platforms that are not in line with our humanistic values and vision to side with the many people."

To be clear this is the same IKEA who sell and advertise in Saudi Arabia.
IKEA also cut women out of their Saudi catalogue in 2012.
Saudi regard being gay as punishable by death.

It seems IKEA's "humanistic values" doesn't included sexism and homophobia.

Sigh.

And spying on staff… cracking company.

What stirring up of hatred? There’s more stirring up of hatred and divide in social and mainstream media in the last few years than by anyone else, hence why the countries so bloody divided.

Status
Not open for further replies.