General politics thread: | Page 50 | Vital Football

General politics thread:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I 'give a fuck' in my hatred of them cos I hate them. I have no sympathy or enjoyment over their loss cos I don't care how they feel. It really is that simple. I'm sure there are people in your life that you've hated (for whatever reason). I may or may not agree with your reasoning but that doesn't stop your right to hate.

And you don't know any of them. Are you sure it's not just the system you hate.

I've known a lot of folk over the years and although I don't like some of them can't actually remember hating any of them. But there's a few systems that I've come to dislike but can't remember hate coming into it.

:tophat:

I don't wish to come across all righteous, but I don't hate anybody. I can be ambivalent about them, but I don't hate; if I did however, I wouldn't shout about it.

And that's great of you mate, I genuinely wish I had a gold star to give you. Why do you need to shout about Corbyn or the EU? What's the difference? I don't know what the fuss is all about. I didn't kill the queen (or her husband). I'm not laughing or rejoicing in his death but neither do I have any sympathies. My feelings (or lack of them in this case) make no difference to a single person on here, so why keep banging on about it? Just take comfort in the fact that in your world/head you're a better person than me (while continuing to vote Tory and for their cuts that literally kill people)

My wife's ex husband was found dead at the weekend. He was a proper twat a physical bully and emotional abuser but I didn't/don't hate him - let's go with heartfelt dislike. However, my dislike of him doesn't stop me from feeling and expressing some sympathy for his family.

As my wife said to me on Sunday - right after she'd offered her condolences to her ex husband's brother and sister in law, "Sometimes, it's just about being the nicer person."

My wife's ex husband was found dead at the weekend. He was a proper twat a physical bully and emotional abuser but I didn't/don't hate him - let's go with heartfelt dislike. However, my dislike of him doesn't stop me from feeling and expressing some sympathy for his family.

As my wife said to me on Sunday - right after she'd offered her condolences to her ex husband's brother and sister in law, "Sometimes, it's just about being the nicer person."

But this brings us back to being false. If you don't feel certain feelings then that's just the way it is. I bet a few of us have been in a situation with a girl where you 'want' to love them but you just don't. I can't pretend to have sympathies for her family. This again brings us back to 'what's the big deal'?

But this brings us back to being false. If you don't feel certain feelings then that's just the way it is. I bet a few of us have been in a situation with a girl where you 'want' to love them but you just don't. I can't pretend to have sympathies for her family. This again brings us back to 'what's the big deal'?

No big deal from me at all - I was just "sticking my oar in" is what I'd guess is your your opinion ;)

IMO there's nothing "false" about feeling a little bit of empathy for a 3rd party because of what they are going through... even "bad" people can be sad.

Having met the DoE, I can say that we was more Victor Meldrew than Alf Garnett and, as I start to get on in years myself, I find I'm becoming a bit like VM myself so please don't hate me for it :cool:

And that's great of you mate, I genuinely wish I had a gold star to give you. Why do you need to shout about Corbyn or the EU? What's the difference? I don't know what the fuss is all about. I didn't kill the queen (or her husband). I'm not laughing or rejoicing in his death but neither do I have any sympathies. My feelings (or lack of them in this case) make no difference to a single person on here, so why keep banging on about it? Just take comfort in the fact that in your world/head you're a better person than me (while continuing to vote Tory and for their cuts that literally kill people)

Those are political differences (Corbychev and the EU) it's healthy to harbour these differences.
Being pleased with the news that Consort has died is nothing like this.

Those are political differences (Corbychev and the EU) it's healthy to harbour these differences.
Being pleased with the news that Consort has died is nothing like this.

Twisting words ay? Who's 'pleased'?

No big deal from me at all - I was just "sticking my oar in" is what I'd guess is your your opinion ;)

IMO there's nothing "false" about feeling a little bit of empathy for a 3rd party because of what they are going through... even "bad" people can be sad.

Having met the DoE, I can say that we was more Victor Meldrew than Alf Garnett and, as I start to get on in years myself, I find I'm becoming a bit like VM myself so please don't hate me for it :cool:

There's certainly nothing false about actually feeling it, mate. It'd be false of me to 'say' I feel it when I don't.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-56731420

On a side note, I really don’t understand this. Every character in the simpsons is a stereotype and now you have an actor who voiced a character, a much loved character, apologizing for it?

Flanders - white overly religious Christian
Homer - fat bald lazy working class white man
Willie - angry, kilt wearing Scotsman
Barney - Drunk, jobless slob.

Could these characters not be deemed inappropriate?

Whats the objective in all this?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-56731420

On a side note, I really don’t understand this. Every character in the simpsons is a stereotype and now you have an actor who voiced a character, a much loved character, apologizing for it?

Flanders - white overly religious Christian
Homer - fat bald lazy working class white man
Willie - angry, kilt wearing Scotsman
Barney - Drunk, jobless slob.

Could these characters not be deemed inappropriate?

Whats the objective in all this?

In part it's to move away from black face, in part it's to move away from racial stereotyping. You can argue the characters you list are offensive but it's not based on colour and religion.

In part it's to move away from black face, in part it's to move away from racial stereotyping. You can argue the characters you list are offensive but it's not based on colour and religion.

But they’re all based on stereotypes. What’s offensive about Apu? He isn’t depicted in a negative light. He’s one of the best on the show.

The stereotype is his religion and that he owns a shop. Willies is he's scottish, wears a kilt, drinks scotch. Im not sure what’s offensive about. Many Indians are religious and do owns shops, many scots do love a drink and wear a kilt.

Isn’t the idea to bring balance? Surely either all of them are offensive or none of them are.

But they’re all based on stereotypes. What’s offensive about Apu? He isn’t depicted in a negative light. He’s one of the best on the show.

The stereotype is his religion and that he owns a shop. Willies is he's scottish, wears a kilt, drinks scotch. Im not sure what’s offensive about. Many Indians are religious and do owns shops, many scots do love a drink and wear a kilt.

Isn’t the idea to bring balance? Surely either all of them are offensive or none of them are.

Even if I accept all your points (which I don't), you still have black face. That's a horrible racist tradition.

What points don’t you take? You can’t say ones okay but another’s not.

Ahh but you can. That’s if you subscribe to the fact that British and American white people are all racist.
When you’re comfortable with that, then it’s obvious

We live in a time where representation is important, using racist stereotypes is never cool and of your examples only Willie is worthy of comment. The difference is that to date we've not had an Indian James Bond - there has been little balance on TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.