General politics thread: | Page 42 | Vital Football

General politics thread:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe @Pope John XXIII can confirm/deny; but the last Queen to have her consort die was Victoria (Albert) and I think there was a state funeral and, ergo a national day of mourning. Whether this is a 'day off' as you put it I would not know.
You are talking 170 years ago, so I'm probably the wrong person to ask. You might be better trying ORF, see if he remembers :rotfl:

His death has started me thinking. When I was younger I never gave a thought to Royalty but as I've got older my mind has kicked in and probably in this last 20 years or so I've come to realize that a lot of us, maybe most, need something to look up to. I have no religious beliefs, perhaps that has a bearing on it and since living in Oz I've realized that here we have nothing except a Govt which quite often is not worth a pinch.
The more I've thought about the Queen the better I've thought of her, a long lifetime in that situation and she has been superb and still is at 95. Phillip in my opinion has been an excellent husband in that situation, quirky sense of humour, not afraid to open his trap even to say the wrong thing. And it's been an awful long time. They have both been great.
And I'm proud that Oz is still part of the Brutish Empire. {I know it's not an Empire any more but that's the word that sits in my head from long ago.}

His death has started me thinking. When I was younger I never gave a thought to Royalty but as I've got older my mind has kicked in and probably in this last 20 years or so I've come to realize that a lot of us, maybe most, need something to look up to. I have no religious beliefs, perhaps that has a bearing on it and since living in Oz I've realized that here we have nothing except a Govt which quite often is not worth a pinch.
The more I've thought about the Queen the better I've thought of her, a long lifetime in that situation and she has been superb and still is at 95. Phillip in my opinion has been an excellent husband in that situation, quirky sense of humour, not afraid to open his trap even to say the wrong thing. And it's been an awful long time. They have both been great.
And I'm proud that Oz is still part of the Brutish Empire. {I know it's not an Empire any more but that's the word that sits in my head from long ago.}

Imo phillip represented his generation, capable of racism and gross insensitivity. Having said that, thousands of public engagements, the DofEd scheme, his work for charity all mean he was an asset to the country overall. Feel sorry for the queen and aprehensive since you couldnt blame her for saying ive had enough, let charles have a go.

Agreed ORF. Some horrible posts and responses going around from people on social media that seem not to care that people have lost a husband, father, grandfather.

I also admire how the family conduct themselves, well certainly the Queen and Phillip.

It’ll be awful when the Queen goes - she really does seem to be universally respected and admired.

Just heard Teresa May say The DofE was an engineer.

I wasn't aware he went to university/higher education to be qualified to call himself that.
As an engineer myself, this annoys me.

Having an interest in engineering does not make you an engineer.

Rant over

RIP.

Agreed ORF. Some horrible posts and responses going around from people on social media that seem not to care that people have lost a husband, father, grandfather.

I also admire how the family conduct themselves, well certainly the Queen and Phillip.

It’ll be awful when the Queen goes - she really does seem to be universally respected and admired.

And that's Will saying it, finally

Just heard Teresa May say The DofE was an engineer.

I wasn't aware he went to university/higher education to be qualified to call himself that.
As an engineer myself, this annoys me.

Having an interest in engineering does not make you an engineer.

Rant over

RIP.

Conversely I have seen many people who have passed through universities and higher education, have all the certificates and qualifications you could imagine, yet will never be engineers whilst they have a hole in their arses.

It takes all sorts.

Conversely I have seen many people who have passed through universities and higher education, have all the certificates and qualifications you could imagine, yet will never be engineers whilst they have a hole in their arses.

It takes all sorts.
Was Bertie Bassett an engineer chap?

Really?

1617995463738.png

Status
Not open for further replies.