General politics thread: | Page 105 | Vital Football

General politics thread:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the bbc is somewhat controversial with some on ere but well done CBBC for their new presenter George.

Nice to know progress still possible despite boris no plan

In the long run Brexit will raise wages for lower-paid UK workers, starting with lorry drivers and waiters.
Unfortunately for the lower paid that is a guess. Lorry drivers may see a rise because of the shortage of drivers if the companies can’t see another way around it but that situation does not and will not apply universally.

And companies being forced to finally confront previous shortcomings is only a Brexit win after some ridiculous amounts of mental contortionism.

Brexit will transition the UK from a low wage / low productivity society towards a higher wage / high productivity society. Changes like this take a long time and other events (eg covid) overshadow them.

After watching/reading about the Labour Party conference, you can actually now start to comprehend why we will always be stuck with these proto-fascist clowns in Government, when their opposition is a 41 year old granny chav, a couple of race baiting mayors, a bloke who thinks papal smoke is racist and a party leader with all the charisma of a soggy chip cob.

God help us

Brexit will transition the UK from a low wage / low productivity society towards a higher wage / high productivity society. Changes like this take a long time and other events (eg covid) overshadow them.
I keep seeing this coming out of ministers and back benchers' mouths in direct response to questions about the driver crisis.
The wage part is difficult, the productivity part is incredibly difficult. The relevance to hgv and tanker drivers is non-existent. They are not up-skilling the drivers (actually the test has been simplified and they are calling other drivers out of retirement) and not increasing productivity (until the drivers are put out of work altogether by driverless vehicles).

Thats the aspiration chap, whether reality follows that is a different story. FT highlighting the falling pound. If you are under 40 now might be a good time to google stagflation

Pinched this:
Just been in the supermarket. The chap in front of me, mask wearer obviously, had a trolly stuffed to the gunwales with tacos, pimentos, every type and every packet the shop had of tortillas, serrano ham, chorizo sausage, 36 cans of San Miguel and a dozen bottles of a nice young Navarra wine.
I thought to myself, Hispanic buying.

Pinched this:
Just been in the supermarket. The chap in front of me, mask wearer obviously, had a trolly stuffed to the gunwales with tacos, pimentos, every type and every packet the shop had of tortillas, serrano ham, chorizo sausage, 36 cans of San Miguel and a dozen bottles of a nice young Navarra wine.
I thought to myself, Hispanic buying.

Orf will be furious, this is his material

Didn't listen/watch Starmer's soliloquy yesterday at the Labour Party conference.
I assume it was crammed with one-liners, crap puns and sexual biology untruths.

Meanwhile we have a shite government being shite. What a time to be alive.

Didn't listen/watch Starmer's soliloquy yesterday at the Labour Party conference.
I assume it was crammed with one-liners, crap puns and sexual biology untruths.

Meanwhile we have a shite government being shite. What a time to be alive.
It comes to something when one of the most obviously corrupt and incompetent Governments in living memory is under no pressure to reform from the opposition.

It comes to something when one of the most obviously corrupt and incompetent Governments in living memory is under no pressure to reform from the opposition.

Probably THE most incompetent and corrupt government post-war and I'm not creative enough to imagine a scenario whereby they EVER stop being in power.

To be fair to Starmer he's too busy telling his own MPs not to point it out, to be able to point it out himself.

Brexit was not mentioned once, apparently. He was the architect of Labours disastrous election result, as it was all about Brexit.

I think that is a huge failure, irrespective of personal Brexit opinions, this was the working class, red wall issue.
He is having an existential crisis between appealing to the traditional Labour voter (Brexiteer) and courting the new Labour (Remainer)* voter.

*I know this is simplistic, but it's merely meant to be illustrative as to the divide.

The tax-payer funded holiday ends today also.
Be interesting to see what happens regarding the narrative about this.

I think time will show furlough to be one of the most catastrophic things that ever happened to this country for the following reasons:

1) For financially having to pay for it and the future repercussions this will have in the scaling back of future government funded programmes.

2) For making people not want to work in offices again and the impact this will have on the urban-rural landscape, transport infrastructure and property market long term.

3) For putting a severe dent into the country's work ethic. People now always seem to have a ready made excuse of not delivering what they promise and this seems to be a by-product of furlough, working from home and reduced accountability as well as 'COVID related issues' being very easy to translate to 'couldn't be arsed.'

Brexit was not mentioned once, apparently. He was the architect of Labours disastrous election result, as it was all about Brexit.

I think that is a huge failure, irrespective of personal Brexit opinions, this was the working class, red wall issue.
He is having an existential crisis between appealing to the traditional Labour voter (Brexiteer) and courting the new Labour (Remainer)* voter.

*I know this is simplistic, but it's merely meant to be illustrative as to the divide.
Losing Scotland was a disaster for Labour. They had always been pretty much easy wins and mean that if Labour ever want to take power again then they are going to have to learn to compromise and appeal to the centre and the left rather than either/or…

I think time will show furlough to be one of the most catastrophic things that ever happened to this country for the following reasons:

1) For financially having to pay for it and the future repercussions this will have in the scaling back of future government funded programmes.

2) For making people not want to work in offices again and the impact this will have on the urban-rural landscape, transport infrastructure and property market long term.

3) For putting a severe dent into the country's work ethic. People now always seem to have a ready made excuse of not delivering what they promise and this seems to be a by-product of furlough, working from home and reduced accountability as well as 'COVID related issues' being very easy to translate to 'couldn't be arsed.'
My whole department were sent home and it has cost a small fortune to send kit to peoples homes.

In fairness they have been as flexible as possible and made sure everyone is safe but now they want people to come back to work.

Again, they are talking about ‘hybrid working’ which is 60% home and 40% office. And people are complaining. It’s hilarious! The excuses people are coming up with for why they can’t go back to the office…

In fairness I would happily work from home permanently, particularly until I shake long Covid but if they want us back in the office then that’s what we do.

I can imagine we are not alone and this sort of thing will be happening all across the country. I don’t think working practices will ever be the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.