General Football thread | Page 16 | Vital Football

General Football thread

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56794673

Quite frankly, this could kill football. They really are selfish, greedy tossers at the top.

There could be some quite interesting scenarios. Imagine five of our clubs leave the Premier League, or are kicked out for playing in this league. (Maybe they hope to do both?). The new league doesn't work out, or a pandemic stops the clubs from playing abroad. Premier League decides they won't take them back....

There could be some quite interesting scenarios. Imagine five of our clubs leave the Premier League, or are kicked out for playing in this league. (Maybe they hope to do both?). The new league doesn't work out, or a pandemic stops the clubs from playing abroad. Premier League decides they won't take them back....
They aren't planning on leaving the PL, this is replacing the champions League (for them). It will be in addition to the PL and will be permanent, so their participation won't be contingent on where they finish in the PL.

That won't stop them demanding far fewer games and far more money for themselves though; the new league will simply inflate transfer fees and wages further as well as increase the fixture list for them. They will seek to extract more for themselves from the PL cash cow to sustain their participation whilst having as few "boring and exhausting" domestic fixtures as possible to distract them.

All the participants will be arguing themselves; the first domestic FA to cave in (I predict Italy) will see the floodgates open.

We can all do our bit by simply not watching these posing Peacocks

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56794673

Quite frankly, this could kill football. They really are selfish, greedy tossers at the top.

Its too fucking late; football has been dead for the last twenty years.

This could have been avoided but people insist on financing the selfish greedy tossers with their Sky and BT subscriptions.

Its far too late to complain now; if everyone in the Country cancelled their subscriptions it will not make the slightest difference; they have enough money coming in from Asia to pay for what they like.

They aren't planning on leaving the PL, this is replacing the champions League (for them). It will be in addition to the PL and will be permanent, so their participation won't be contingent on where they finish in the PL.

That won't stop them demanding far fewer games and far more money for themselves though; the new league will simply inflate transfer fees and wages further as well as increase the fixture list for them. They will seek to extract more for themselves from the PL cash cow to sustain their participation whilst having as few "boring and exhausting" domestic fixtures as possible to distract them.

All the participants will be arguing themselves; the first domestic FA to cave in (I predict Italy) will see the floodgates open.

We can all do our bit by simply not watching these posing Peacocks

A UEFA tournament would be linked into the PL, but a breakaway tournament almost certaInly wouldn't. If they are talking about banning players from World Cups etc, they could well ban them from the Leagues too. They would need the co-operation of the PL, otherwise they could well be playing games on the same day. We would probably still miss out on promotion if the top 7 went up !

Does it say which 5 English teams ? I stIll think fans would rather see Man Utd, Man C, Liverpool, Everton playing each other than them playing Athletico Madrid etc. You would assume they are expecting more than 11 teams to join up.

A UEFA tournament would be linked into the PL, but a breakaway tournament almost certaInly wouldn't. If they are talking about banning players from World Cups etc, they could well ban them from the Leagues too. They would need the co-operation of the PL, otherwise they could well be playing games on the same day. We would probably still miss out on promotion if the top 7 went up !

Does it say which 5 English teams ? I stIll think fans would rather see Man Utd, Man C, Liverpool, Everton playing each other than them playing Athletico Madrid etc. You would assume they are expecting more than 11 teams to join up.
Man city are the ones who have not yet committed. French and German clubs have refused.

You are dreaming if you think the PL will stand up to these clubs; these clubs own the PL board. I very seriously doubt UEFA have anything other than sabre rattling in them either. They can ban these clubs from the CL; but that is redundant. Can they ban participating players from the European Championships? I would be astonished if that was remotely legal.

Cricket did it with Packer. Packer had TV money but all the big names didn’t sign up, particularly in next generation. UEFA lose nothing by playing hardball.

Man city are the ones who have not yet committed. French and German clubs have refused.

You are dreaming if you think the PL will stand up to these clubs; these clubs own the PL board. I very seriously doubt UEFA have anything other than sabre rattling in them either. They can ban these clubs from the CL; but that is redundant. Can they ban participating players from the European Championships? I would be astonished if that was remotely legal.

It would be entirely legal.

Rugby Clubs ban players from international representation if they go abroad to play their club games; that happens in England, Ireland, France and New Zealand.

Each International board can set their own parameters for inclusion.

It would be entirely legal.

Rugby Clubs ban players from international representation if they go abroad to play their club games; that happens in England, Ireland, France and New Zealand.

Each International board can set their own parameters for inclusion.
But will UEFA, thus significantly depleting the earning potential of their premier international competition?

Nah.

A "compromise" will be reached that UEFA ('s bank managers) will be happy to settle for

This article says a 20 team league. Assuming home and away surely they aren't going to play 38 games AND play in the PL .

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...eague-threat-re-emerges-hours-before-14647662
The information out there isn't clear as the announcement hasn't been made.

The earlier discussions suggested they may not all play each other or they may not have just one direction division. Certainly, the earlier talk about this has not been around the club's leaving their domestic leagues.

If the proposals do involve them leaving their domestic leagues then fantastic; fuck off.

In reality, these clubs could easily play two 38 game seasons concurrently as long as CL qualification wasnt at stake. Tottenham and Arsenal are the only ones where their reserves might struggle in the PL

But will UEFA, thus significantly depleting the earning potential of their premier international competition?

Nah.

A "compromise" will be reached that UEFA ('s bank managers) will be happy to settle for

But if the new competition gets the go ahead you could quite rightly ask "what's the point of UEFA?"

Allowing Clubs to completely undermine their governing bodies and to then place stipulations on what those governing bodies can and cannot do would be suicidal for UEFA

Someone at UEFA or FIFA needs to grow a pair and lay down the law.

They could start by making it clear to the TV companies that if they cooperate with the breakaway Clubs they can forget about covering any other football.

They could do the same with sponsors; how would Dulux (Tottenham's new sponsor) feel if supporters of the other 80 odd Clubs were to boycott their products.

The possibilities for causing disruption are there but I fear there is far too much complacency in England for anything to get off of the ground

My main question on this is why the fuck are arsenal involved in this? They’re nowhere near the champions league & haven’t been for a few years & it’ll be even longer before they are again.

Football has been dying for 20 years, far too much greed in the game. There's always a proposal to axe relegation or guarantee European football.

For me, this is just a continuation of what started with ffp. More pull the ladder up bullshit. Would Man City or Chelsea have been against major owner investment when they were shit? (Yes kids, it wasn't that long ago). It's all about eliminating risk and killing competition.

Also, yes we are still at risk of relegation because we could lose all remaining games - see last season. If we don't get a result quickly and pressure mounts, we are capable of anything. I think we still have enough to finish a lofty 20th though.

My main question on this is why the fuck are arsenal involved in this? They’re nowhere near the champions league & haven’t been for a few years & it’ll be even longer before they are again.

If Arsenal win the Europa League, and they are in the last 4, they automatically qualify for the CL

My main question on this is why the fuck aren't we involved in this? We won the European Cup twice less than half a century ago!!!!

Someone at UEFA or FIFA needs to grow a pair and lay down the law.

I think I've just found the first problem with your suggestions.

They could start by making it clear to the TV companies that if they cooperate with the breakaway Clubs they can forget about covering any other football.

And there's the second problem.

They could do the same with sponsors; how would Dulux (Tottenham's new sponsor) feel if supporters of the other 80 odd Clubs were to boycott their products.

And the third.

This will fail only if enough other clubs like these ones want it to fail.

They should take the right to their club names and allow fans to start new clubs.
Make them call themselves Trafford Rovers like in Pro Evo if they want to leave. United can start again in non league.
Also allow players to void their contracts.