General Football thread | Page 54 | Vital Football

General Football thread

Almost never too hot.
Rarely suffers drought.
Some pleasant semi-detached properties with a moderate garden.
Cream teas.
Busbys.

We have to drop the verse about red telephone boxes.
If we're GB at the Olympics, then God save the Queen is fine. If it's England, especially when playing against Scotland, NI or Wales, then they should use Jerusalem or anything that differentiates them from the three other nations.

Last edited:
Billy Connelly suggested the theme to the Archers once . Nice and jaunty.
I like the concept of jaunty English nonsense but the trouble is I hate the Archers and its theme tune. Can't reach to turn that dial fast enough when it comes on after the (sometimes lefty) comedy I occasionally enjoy.

The kneeling gesture comes from Colin Kaepernick (sp?). In America, it is the cultural norm to stand for the national anthem; they do it every day, even in schools. It's a mark of national pride and respect. He knelt instead, a gesture to show that he cannot share national pride whilst racism is so prevalent throughout society, especially it's political and law enforcement institutions.

In Britain and much of Europe, kneeling in this way has a totally different historic meaning; that of subservience. You bend your knee to your feudal lord or your king. This is a gesture with a heritage at least 1500 years old and is deeply ingrained in all of us, even if subconsciously. If you bend one knee to anyone, we instinctively know what that gesture means.

This is why IMO it is absolutely the wrong gesture for this country. It is one of subservience here, not protest; people see it and it connotates subservience to this cause rather than protest in favour of it.

It has no such meaning in America, who had neither kings nor the feudal system active in their nation.

Hence, it is culturally insensitive. It has been translated directly over to countries where the gestures historic meaning is totally different and opposite to the message it is meant to show. I am not surprised that so many fans instinctively dislike the gesture, even if they support the cause.

A different gesture in support of the movement would be far more appropriate and successful in the UK

Isn't the taking of the knee meant to be ironic? In the same way that blacks call each other negros, it's a way of saying that your insults don't bother me. In the same way a subservient gesture such as kneeling could be an ironic retort to the notion that black people are lesser being than white folk.

I remember an Everton fan used to call me Forrest as in Forrest Gump, when I just ignored the implied insult, he soon got bored with it. Hate is designed to provoke a reaction, if you don't react it loses its sting ! Just a thought !

Isn't the taking of the knee meant to be ironic? In the same way that blacks call each other negros, it's a way of saying that your insults don't bother me. In the same way a subservient gesture such as kneeling could be an ironic retort to the notion that black people are lesser being than white folk.

I remember an Everton fan used to call me Forrest as in Forrest Gump, when I just ignored the implied insult, he soon got bored with it. Hate is designed to provoke a reaction, if you don't react it loses its sting ! Just a thought !
You are a little late to this discussion, but no; I don't think the original gesture was meant to be ironic in the way you describe.

Everyone outs their own take on any symbols though, so you are free to read it as you wish. My point was that the gesture has a shared cultural symbolism here that is fundamentally different to America

You are a little late to this discussion, but no; I don't think the original gesture was meant to be ironic in the way you describe.

Everyone outs their own take on any symbols though, so you are free to read it as you wish. My point was that the gesture has a shared cultural symbolism here that is fundamentally different to America

The fucking disgusting diseased of the mind racists wankers have tried to denigrate a peaceful protest and then they get all mardy when violence breaks out

The fascists are on the rise all over the world its time to start kicking the fucking shit out the c-unts like we did in WW2