General Brooce | Page 3 | Vital Football

General Brooce

Bruce did well yesterday?

I have a theory which can be torpedoed.

After setting up defences that you could drive a double decker bus through, we suddenly had a return to "compact".

For most of the game, it was basically Rafa's set up with Joelinton for Rondon, Miggy in Ayoze's role, Krafth for Yedlin/Manquillo and Shelvey on the bench, Atsu taking over the Miggy role in the 2nd half of last season.

Back to the theory, that the players may have taken over, told Bruce that the set up last season worked, on the whole, and let them organise themselves. The interplay for the goal looked like classic Rafa.

For the statisticians, Bruce had his 3rd win out of 64 attempts against top 6 clubs, up from 1 in 31.5 to 1 in 21.3.

Time will tell and those who know me will know that I have no complaints about players getting involved in decision making. Yes, we have been a bogey team for Spurs at their home ground, now winning 6 out of the last 10. To me, it was more about the players than management and credit to them for what goes down as a decent result.

6 out of 10 indeed Rexn. Those special bonuses purportedly on offer for winning this particular fixture are proving to be quite an incentive.

Having come up with the theory, it's nice to see extracts of an interview with Jonjo:
'Defensively, we looked sound,' said the 27-year-old. 'We need to work on what to do offensively with the ball, but that will come.

'We've had that instilled in us with Rafa, that formation, and the gaffer has picked up on it and it seems to be working.