Gary Caldwell | Vital Football

Gary Caldwell

Good luck Partick fans, well the ones who don't suffer from insomnia. It's going to be drab.

Well if it's anything like our League One title winning season, it surely won't be too bad! Likewise, I don't remember the football being all too drab in the Championship under him, at least in comparison to his successor's style.

Well if it's anything like our League One title winning season, it surely won't be too bad! Likewise, I don't remember the football being all too drab in the Championship under him, at least in comparison to his successor's style.

Being better than Joyces style of play isn't really a compliment as school and pub teams have a good chance of that. But Caldwells preffered style was generally very drab. With the difference being in L1 we would switch away from that style later in games when things werent going to plan and blitz teams playing more positive attacking football. If his plan B was his plan A he'd probably had more success but he was too cautious.

He probably doesnt need the money and the wages at Partick are probably quite low, so he's likely taken the job because he wants to prove himself. I think he's going to find it very hard there, but a lot of managers after Chesterfield would probably call it a day, so fair play to him for diving back in when he didn't need to. Takes a lot of bottle.

It’s a good job for him. Based in central Glasgow so not out in the middle of nowhere and a club that gave their last manager lots of time. It’s probably his last chance to make it as a frontline manager though so good luck to him.

Gary Caldwell interview.
Wigan discussed from 1:00:00 onwards
Wigan manager
Relationship with the chairman discussed (very close).
2015/2016 League 1 season discussed and some reasons behind changes to the squad and initial form.
1:17:45 onwards Sacking .... Hints that it wasn't the chairman.

GC also mentions the Callum Paterson missed signing, struggling as a manager, man management, last five games and then suggests that he knew it wasn't the chairman (who sacked him).
(My own thoughts ..... One obvious candidate along with two others. One of whom was binned later himself and was not involved with player transfers .... perhaps ?)