Garner, so long then | Page 2 | Vital Football

Garner, so long then

I agree with 99% of what you say KDZ, however I must admit I am disappointed with him for asking to be released from a contract he signed at the start of the season and although he has not yet found a club to go to failing to remain part of the squad and playing his part in saving the club that offered him an extension to his playing career. I understand the reasons for a move on his behalf but disagree with him not wanting to remain part of the fight. I would have been happy to see him released and move straight on to either India or Cyprus but to be kicking his heels whilst we are having to play inexperienced players up front is hard to swallow.

I expect he thought he was immediately going and something went wrong. As he's given up a considerable amount of money to sit at home for a month or so.

I expect he thought he was immediately going and something went wrong. As he's given up a considerable amount of money to sit at home for a month or so.

Maybe mate but it still leaves me wondering why he did it that way and left us firmly in the lurch. Surely if the deal was falling through he could have said that he would return to the fold and help us out. I'm sure that the fans would have appreciated that and he would have got a lot more respect than sitting on his a**e at home while we struggle up front.

Garner wasn't a player I think anyone really wanted here in the first place and Kyle Joseph has done okay given his tender years. I can understand in a way what he has done, however if I was a manager at another club, seeing a combative forward who isn't up for the fight wouldn't be high on my wish list. Also, during that amazing Jan 2020 - end of 19/20 season, he wasn't starting many, if any matches.

Maybe mate but it still leaves me wondering why he did it that way and left us firmly in the lurch. Surely if the deal was falling through he could have said that he would return to the fold and help us out. I'm sure that the fans would have appreciated that and he would have got a lot more respect than sitting on his a**e at home while we struggle up front.

His agent will be trying to get another similar deal in terms of money and length of contract. It wouldn't work to ask to come back immediately on less money (due to admin) only to ask to leave again shortly after.

I'd happily take him back if he wanted to return but I suspect he will explore all his options first. Plus if the takeover is done if it ever came to that whoever is manager may not want him.

His agent will be trying to get another similar deal in terms of money and length of contract. It wouldn't work to ask to come back immediately on less money (due to admin) only to ask to leave again shortly after.

I'd happily take him back if he wanted to return but I suspect he will explore all his options first. Plus if the takeover is done if it ever came to that whoever is manager may not want him.
He wanted out when the club - who will have paid him handsomely to sit on his arse for 18months - really needed him to support the kids in the most desperate of times - he walked.
Now if your house was on fire and someone walked past with a bucket of water walked by without helping then wanted to come back once the fire was out would you welcome with open arms- really ?

He wanted out when the club - who will have paid him handsomely to sit on his arse for 18months - really needed him to support the kids in the most desperate of times - he walked.
Now if your house was on fire and someone walked past with a bucket of water walked by without helping then wanted to come back once the fire was out would you welcome with open arms- really ?

Jan is traditionally a difficult window, we apparently won't be spending much according to Nixon and in our position will struggle to attract players. Who is available who will be affordable and want to come to us who would likely have got 7 goals in 14 games without much service like Garner had this season?

He was our top scorer and we are short on goals - in our position I'd take him back. No point cutting off our nose to spite our face.

Jan is traditionally a difficult window, we apparently won't be spending much according to Nixon and in our position will struggle to attract players. Who is available who will be affordable and want to come to us who would likely have got 7 goals in 14 games without much service like Garner had this season?

He was our top scorer and we are short on goals - in our position I'd take him back. No point cutting off our nose to spite our face.

Isn't there some issue with players getting released by a club and then re-signed during the same season?
It has been allowed (I'm sure Latics did it with Diaz) but its designed to stop clubs trying to save a few quid by releasing em, not paying them for a bit & then picking em up again

I get the bit about not cutting off your nose but the way he left, coupled with the way he seemed to give up against Chorley at around the same time, has left a very bitter taste in the mouth

I understand all that but my point is he would have left with a little more respect if he had gone to another club immediately.

As it stands it seems that deal fell through and I would have had more respect for him if he had said " look my deals fallen through, if you will have me I will come back on a monthly contract until I find something else."

At least that would have shown a willingness to help us.

I understand all that but my point is he would have left with a little more respect if he had gone to another club immediately.

As it stands it seems that deal fell through and I would have had more respect for him if he had said " look my deals fallen through, if you will have me I will come back on a monthly contract until I find something else."

At least that would have shown a willingness to help us.

I'd agree with that, from what I read, it seemed he had a deal to go to India, can understand him going there, somewhere different, new experiences etc, think he then got an offer from Cyprus which seems to now start in Jan. Disappointed that he hasn;t offered to help us out in meantime (unless he has and it's been rejected for whatever reason)

🤝 We can now formally confirm that striker Joe Garner’s contract has been terminated by mutual consent.

Garner played 75 times for Latics in just over two years at the DW Stadium.

We would like to thank Joe for his efforts during his time with Wigan Athletic.

#wafc 🔵⚪

🤝 We can now formally confirm that striker Joe Garner’s contract has been terminated by mutual consent.

Garner played 75 times for Latics in just over two years at the DW Stadium.

We would like to thank Joe for his efforts during his time with Wigan Athletic.

#wafc 🔵⚪
I would hate to think that the admins have sanctioned Garner sitting on his Harris (though he's done just that forr 18 months) at home since he walked out weeks ago and continued to pay his salary until today's club announcement ? 🤔 Would be a further kick in the nuts if so !
Any chance of clarity on this or an "awkward question" from the local hack here ?

I would hate to think that the admins have sanctioned Garner sitting on his Harris (though he's done just that forr 18 months) at home since he walked out weeks ago and continued to pay his salary until today's club announcement ? 🤔 Would be a further kick in the nuts if so !
Any chance of clarity on this or an "awkward question" from the local hack here ?

Just checked Kendricks twitter feed who advises the full story is on the Wigan Today website:

The 32-year-old last month requested for his contract to be terminated, to enable him to pursue a new challenge overseas.

Following consultation between the club's administrators and the coaching staff, the request has reluctantly been accepted.

That is NOT the full story, why has it took 5weeks for a decision to be confirmed whilst the club is desperate for money?

What's the story with India? Just piles of money for mid-tier cloggers?

Won't be missed. Bit of a thug but was happy to have him in league 1 but I'd just rather Keane Joseph and Lang now. Players that want to be here.

Won't be missed. Bit of a thug but was happy to have him in league 1 but I'd just rather Keane Joseph and Lang now. Players that want to be here.

I would not get to attached to the thought of Joseph taking us forward, the wolves are circling and unless the takeover happens soon I fear he will be gone by month end.