Garmston and Jake Hess | Vital Football

Garmston and Jake Hess

That's a shame for them both. Andy was saying recently on one of the interviews how much his boy was loving it at Grimsby. Garmston was getting a regular slot in the team recently after years of being an outcast at Gills. I think he's a good player, but unfortunately injury prone.

Hess was a first team regular until he got that nasty injury in January.

I noticed that as well, and he was very rarely substituted so the managers must have been happy with his performances.

Sounds ominous. Perhaps the long term prognosis on his injury is not great.

I noticed that as well, and he was very rarely substituted so the managers must have been happy with his performances.

No player out of contract will be getting a new one anytime soon at our level.
Even very promising youngsters would be worried.
Times are very different in the short term contract world.
Every club realises that should they survive, there will be a massive glut of players.

In addition to Garmston and Jake, it looks like Grimsby let another 7 players go. Sorry, but I have no idea how good or bad these individuals were.

In addition to Garmston and Jake, it looks like Grimsby let another 7 players go. Sorry, but I have no idea how good or bad these individuals were.
Like many clubs they will simply try to survive. Right now I would not be at all surprised if Scally and Evans released every player they can .I would go so far as to say I almost expect it.Ehmer and possibly one or two others might be offer something. But the club is bigger than any individual. It is very possible that even with a total clear out our budget might be almost zero.A offer for a contracted player will be a lifeline that could make our break clubs.But the buying club will know that so drive a really hard bargain.

I didn't mean right now, Phil. I meant when it all starts again. But I reckon you probably knew that anyway.

Why sign him then? Well, cos he's a competent player but most importantly he is proper Gills. That alone would be an asset to us. And it's likely that lower league football and society in general aint gonna be awash with money any time soon. In such circumstances having Jake in our squad would have to be a positive thing.

And besides that, what nibbles said.

I didn't mean right now, Phil. I meant when it all starts again. But I reckon you probably knew that anyway.

Why sign him then? Well, cos he's a competent player but most importantly he is proper Gills. That alone would be an asset to us. And it's likely that lower league football and society in general aint gonna be awash with money any time soon. In such circumstances having Jake in our squad would have to be a positive thing.

And besides that, what nibbles said.

I think you're better off sticking to emptying dustbins , rather than taking up football management.

I think you're better off sticking to emptying dustbins , rather than taking up football management.

That's not very nice. What has emptying bins gotta do with this?

I've lost my job emptying bins because of this virus. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you didn't know or realise this. Otherwise that would have been particularly nasty.

I wont be taking up football management or any other kind of management but if I were any team that I built would be built around commitment and loyalty to the group or team. I think that it's better to have a team of good individuals who give everything for the cause and for each other, than it is to have a team with very good individual players but who only play for themselves. For instance, if it were a choice between Jake and JET, which player would you rather have?

That's not very nice. What has emptying bins gotta do with this?

I've lost my job emptying bins because of this virus. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you didn't know or realise this. Otherwise that would have been particularly nasty.

I wont be taking up football management or any other kind of management but if I were any team that I built would be built around commitment and loyalty to the group or team. I think that it's better to have a team of good individuals who give everything for the cause and for each other, than it is to have a team with very good individual players but who only play for themselves. For instance, if it were a choice between Jake and JET, which player would you rather have?
Neither ?

Feel for Jake and Bradley but, as has already been implied, we`re headed into radical change and there`s soon gonna be a whole load of available players searching for clubs. Plenty of good lads from the lower leagues likely to be facing difficult times.

As others have said, I think it's more to do with finances and the impact of coronavirus. Would be crazy to offer new contracts to players that would start in July when there's no idea when the lower leagues will start playing again.

My mate who plays for Macclesfield has basically been retired by the virus, he's been working on another career for a couple of years so should be ok.