Gareth Southgate | Vital Football

Gareth Southgate

• Thread starter Deleted member 9862
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 9862

I've just watched Gareth Southgate's interview and I have to say he's speaks nearly as well as Danny does, very humble, makes sense and no football speak rubbish.

Yes he always comes across as a football coach who is highly intelligent and keen to do his best in the role. Massive improvement on the previous manager who often gave the impression that he didn't understand a basic question and reverted to cliches. Just a shame that he doesn't have a massive amount of quality on the pitch to work with at the moment

I remember reading his programme notes ahead of Palace v Imps in the league cup tie about 1995ish. He was a very young captain and his maturity, intelligence coupled with humility struck me then. Doesn't ensure he will make a decent national coach of course but I certainly wish him well for those reasons alone.

he seems to have worked out the best [formation-wise] with the players he has to choose from. can't ask for much more than that.

I wouldn’t say we’re that bad. Lagging behind the top sides of course but firmly in the next bracket I’d say.
Whilst we're considering Jonjo Shelvey and Jake Livermore, the Germans can't find space for Mario Gotze, the Spanish drop Fabregas, the French have over £100 mil in two players not in the squad (Martial & Lacazette) and the Argentinians choose not to take Icardi.
Lagging is a very big understatement. We're very much a 2nd tier national team these days, same sort of level as Poland and behind teams like Croatia.
That said I'm going to be backing us of course and feel we can make the Quarter Finals before we really get pushed.

Yes I think he comes across as a thoughful decent person. I hope we do well for that reason if nothing else

Whilst we're considering Jonjo Shelvey and Jake Livermore, the Germans can't find space for Mario Gotze, the Spanish drop Fabregas, the French have over £100 mil in two players not in the squad (Martial & Lacazette) and the Argentinians choose not to take Icardi.
Lagging is a very big understatement. We're very much a 2nd tier national team these days, same sort of level as Poland and behind teams like Croatia.
That said I'm going to be backing us of course and feel we can make the Quarter Finals before we really get pushed.
Oh I agree we're 2nd tier for sure. I'd argue we're at least as good as Croatia though.

Oh I agree we're 2nd tier for sure. I'd argue we're at least as good as Croatia though.
Nah, they have a midfield of Modric, Rakitic and Kovacic. Mandzukic and Perisic up top. Jedvaj and Lovren I’m defence. They’re a very underrated team until you see them live. Dominated Spain at the euros and deserved to beat them.

Nah, they have a midfield of Modric, Rakitic and Kovacic. Mandzukic and Perisic up top. Jedvaj and Lovren I’m defence. They’re a very underrated team until you see them live. Dominated Spain at the euros and deserved to beat them.
They have a very good midfield but I don’t think they’re underrated really. Everyone knows about their key men. They have some fantastic players in certain positions, like us. But neither side has quality throughout which the top 4 sides at the tournament do.

Their starting midfield is class (including Perisic in that ) but I'd say they're pretty average everywhere else. Kind of the opposite of us. Iceland qualified above them and they got beat by them and Turkey in the group. Kovacic probably won't start for them (maybe Badelj?) but outside of that, their squad is pretty weak other than the first 11 (which is also ageing).

Mandzukic is not exactly coming off a great season (compare 5 in 32 to Kane's stats), and he gets used on the left a bit. Not a lot of pace in the team.

I don't think they're any better than us at least on paper, and I know what we're like at tournaments. Looking at the groups I could see them finishing 2nd then losing in the last 16 to the French.

Their starting midfield is class (including Perisic in that ) but I'd say they're pretty average everywhere else. Kind of the opposite of us. Iceland qualified above them and they got beat by them and Turkey in the group. Kovacic probably won't start for them (maybe Badelj?) but outside of that, their squad is pretty weak other than the first 11 (which is also ageing).

Mandzukic is not exactly coming off a great season (compare 5 in 32 to Kane's stats), and he gets used on the left a bit. Not a lot of pace in the team.

I don't think they're any better than us at least on paper, and I know what we're like at tournaments. Looking at the groups I could see them finishing 2nd then losing in the last 16 to the French.

Well they were beaten by Iceland in qualification, so they have that in common with us anyway...

I didn't think any team was really standout these days. Even the likes of Brazil and Italy have faded. That said, I'm quietly impressed with Southgate. He's done well with the junior England teams and seems to be working hard with what we've got in terms of trying to find the most effective formation and tactics for them. I don't expect anything beyond quarter-finals, but you never know. Only takes a couple of results and the players clicking to build their confidence and get them going. Just wish he'd do it without Stones - I really think he's a liability and can see him costing us progress in the tournament when faced with real quality. It'll only take one moment in a game and there are more than enough quality individuals capable of making him look stupid on their own, even if the teams they play for aren't the best.

Agree that Southgate handles himself very well, and you would hope this translates in his management of the team.

However, all of this and the usual rubbish about ‘having a great set of lads’, ‘a good spirit in the camp’, ‘building for the future’, ‘giving it everything we’ve got’ is worth absolutely nothing until we actually win some matches when the pressure is on in tournament football (something we’ve managed to do just 3 times in the last decade, and never in the knockout stages).

No one will be talking about how well Southgate talks in press conferences if we don’t beat Tunisia and Panama and/or get out of the group.

Results. End of.

The South American teams tend to struggle in European tournaments which is why I think they may actually win the group. But yeah, chances are they’re going out to the French or Spanish at some point. I’d put them same sort of level as the Portuguese. A top second tier national team compared to us, a good second tier team. They’re not going to win it and Quarters would be a good tournament for them. But that’s the same for us.

I didn't think any team was really standout these days. Even the likes of Brazil and Italy have faded. That said, I'm quietly impressed with Southgate. He's done well with the junior England teams and seems to be working hard with what we've got in terms of trying to find the most effective formation and tactics for them. I don't expect anything beyond quarter-finals, but you never know. Only takes a couple of results and the players clicking to build their confidence and get them going. Just wish he'd do it without Stones - I really think he's a liability and can see him costing us progress in the tournament when faced with real quality. It'll only take one moment in a game and there are more than enough quality individuals capable of making him look stupid on their own, even if the teams they play for aren't the best.
I think there’s a group of standout teams but no individual one such as some of the Brazilian ones in the past. The French, Spanish and Germans all look very good on paper.
Southgate does look a good fit for England and I agree with you completely, quarters is a good tournament but with a mistake or two we could do anything from group stage to semi’s.

spoiler alert.

stones was up to it again. one big mis-control and one strange wander out of position in the first half. one suicidal pass in the second half. the sort of actions that could well be on repeat after our world cup matches. if southgate hasn't seen the red flag, he isn't as smart as he sounds. hopefully it won't spoil the game if you watch it.

Cheers - haven't seen it yet but not surprised by any of it. I'll just play "what time for the Stones cock-up" - bit like the competition for the times Farman used to go down to give the team a 'tactical break' ?

Not sure Stones is that bad. If Guardiola thinks he can play and sanctioned a massive move for him (and he played 30ish times for the title winners despite having an injury problem) I think that's good enough for me.

It's kind of funny that we spent the last couple of World Cups bemoaning how far off we were technically to the likes of Spain and Germany, then we produce the best ball playing centre half we've had for ages, who gives the ball away a couple of times and is now a total disaster. I appreciate that he has got a mistake in but if we're going to play out from the back I'd rather him than some giraffe like Smalling.

Reminds me a bit of getting ruined by Ozil at the World Cup, asking why we never produced good technical players like that then he comes over here and everyone says he is shit because he doesn't run far or fast enough.

I lived in Middlesbro area for a number of years, Lenny Lawrence/Bryan Robson/Steve Mclaren and some of Southgates stint.
Southgate was treated badly by chairman Steve Gibson, and vast majority of Boro fans were stunned when he sacked him.
Southgate was 34 and club captain when Mclaren left to become England manager. He intended to play that season and had to be persuaded by Gibson to take the job. He also had to take his FA coaching qual as necessary to become a team manager. While Mclaren was manager they had a few seasons in Europe and Gibson said ok lets have a punt to get to the next level. So money was being spent on big name players, yakubu, hasselbank, viduka, woodgate,reizigger, parlour, zendon, southgate and ugo eghiogh to name but a few.
When Southgate took over he was told to cut the wage budget. All the big names had to go. In fact the club were operating with the 2nd lowest wage budget in the premier division. Only Blackburn were lower.
On top of this Gibson let it be known in the press he wanted his players to be born within a 60 mile radius of Middlesbro. Imagine having that as a handicap, To Southgates credit he carried out his orders and at Old Trafford one season he fielded a first X1 plus all 5 subs all born within the 60mile limit and managed a creditable draw. He had players like Downing, Woodgate(who was born in Middlesbro), Adam Johnson, David Wheater, and Lee Catermole. Lot of young lads coming through. He actually threw Lee Catermole out the club for not toeing the line. Which shows he wont stand any nonsense. He also was very active among the local community. Schools etc like the Cowleys are doing in Lincoln.
Following a game against Man Utd, the TV reporter interviewing him said, what about that dirty tackle on Ronaldo by young James Morrison? (Morrison an 18 year old winger had slid in 2 footed on Ronaldo who was jinking and stepping over on the bye-line, and completely took him out for which Morrison was shown a red) Southgate replied “well, we’ve all wanted to do that havent we” and just smiled.
I think they finished in respectable positions the first 2 seasons both mid table. Lot of injuries in the 3rd season didnt help and they went down. He lost a number of his better players that summer, Downing and Johnson etc. By November they were 5th place with a game in hand - 3 points would have made them top, above Newcastle. It is then when Southgate was fired. Nobody was calling for his head.
In came Gordon Strachan. Who bought in some ex Rangers and Celtic players who struggled at Championship level. The supporters joked that the only reason he got the job was he had the same initials as Southgate and would save money on his training kit.
I think Southgate is a clever bloke, always has thoughtful comments at press conferences, i wouldnt be surprised this summer if we do well. One thing i’ve noticed is most of Englands outfield players are in contention for a start. Theres no complacency, and i think he’s got that right.