Gareth Southgate | Vital Football

Gareth Southgate

Walthamstow wanderer

Alert Team
Staff member
Anyone got any idea why he played Kyle Walker in a back three, then played Gomes and Tripps , two other right backs , and left proper centre backs on the bench?

Alli only got a few min against the dutch. Strange, you would think he should know by now who he is taking to russia and shouldnt be testing to much anymore. He probably put Kyle there because of his pace. Makes it difficult for fast fowards.

Walthamstow wanderer - 26/3/2018 15:19

Anyone got any idea why he played Kyle Walker in a back three, then played Gomes and Tripps , two other right backs , and left proper centre backs on the bench?

That's easy. It's because the rest of our English centre halves are naff except for John Stones whereas we have depth at full back. I think it's quite inventive from Southgate to shift Walker inside and the right side of the team looks solid. However, the left doesn't. Maguire struggled against Holland whilst Tarkowski looked a little better but not the real deal. Outside of him, I believe Young will get found out at left back just like he did when Spurs played Utd. Also, Rose looks the shadow of the player he was. Bertrand will probably assume responsibilities when fit.

Here's Wikipedia's view on Gomez. "Gomez prefers to play as a centre back but can also play as a full back on either side. He has been described as a complete footballer and composed ball-playing centre back with his style of play being compared to that of Rio Ferdinand whom he idolised growing up. Gomez is also noted for his athleticism and strength; he is able to produce powerful and dangerous runs up-field on the counter-attack and in defence is rarely physically dominated by an opponent"

I think Southgate will trust Klopp to develop him and he'll end up as England's mainstay with Stones.

Got to admit I was unable to fathom out Walker playing in the back three , with centre backs on the bench . Still not sure about it cos it's a natural reaction for him to bomb forward , and I think he lacks concentration as a centre back . His speed helps him a lot at right back . I think it's a bit late to be experimenting with sort of of line up to be honest . If it works out , then fair play to Southgate for forward thinking , thinking outside the box . Neither of which are puns!