Gardening thread | Page 12 | Vital Football

Gardening thread

Oh dear. We've got 3 plants with about 20 tomatoes on them! May not be time for all to develop fully, but at least half should.

Well, our green tomatoes are ripening nicely in the house. Takes about 2 weeks and they suddenly turn just as you're about to give up.

From 3 plants we look like getting about 20 tomatoes which is pretty pleasing.

The weekend will see us harvest the second of three potato planters.

Last of the tomatoes ripening nicely. Mrs N. put them in a paper bag with a banana claiming that "I read it on the internet". Oh, how I laughed!

Now I owe her £5.

I haven't technically put any effort into it since they grow on their own each year, but we have some cracking snowdrops and crocuses coming up right now.

I haven't technically put any effort into it since they grow on their own each year, but we have some cracking snowdrops and crocuses coming up right now.

Peas, Lettuce and Carrots outside during the day to harden off, potatoes pretty much chittened and will be ready to go in about 3 weeks.

Similarly, we seem to have mint sprouting nicely.

Some cauliflowers we planted last autumn have survived the winter. No sign of the "flower" bit yet but you never know as the weather improves...

Last of the tomatoes ripening nicely. Mrs N. put them in a paper bag with a banana claiming that "I read it on the internet". Oh, how I laughed!

Now I owe her £5.
Never heard the banana thing, I have heard brown paper bags for tomatoes though. Don't know if it works for Chinese ones.

Lots of the established plants and trees in the garden starting to bud now - pear tree, gooseberry bush, magnolia, weird red leafy thing that grows in the rockery.

I sowed some lithops (living stones) seeds in a dish indoors too, about 18 of which have germinated and are now growing. I'm hoping to transplant them into separate little boxes (taken from a set of tiny wooden drawers) which we've mounted on small planks on walls around the house. Some of them already have tiny cacti and other succulents in.

I sowed some lithops (living stones) seeds in a dish indoors too, about 18 of which have germinated and are now growing. I'm hoping to transplant them into separate little boxes (taken from a set of tiny wooden drawers) which we've mounted on small planks on walls around the house. Some of them already have tiny cacti and other succulents in.

excellent stuff. I have a bakers rack type thing in a garden room lit hops are not as easy as people make out as the watering is difficult. I have just got to the stage after many many years where I can succulents to flower not all of them but a couple. Massive amount of trail and error I buy stuff of eBay and local garden centres and give them a go. if I kill them I give it another go.

excellent stuff. I have a bakers rack type thing in a garden room lit hops are not as easy as people make out as the watering is difficult. I have just got to the stage after many many years where I can succulents to flower not all of them but a couple. Massive amount of trail and error I buy stuff of eBay and local garden centres and give them a go. if I kill them I give it another go.
That sounds good, particularly getting them to flower! I grew some lithops from seed as a kid which are still going strong at my parents' house, though it was completely fortunate that happened as we didn't know anything about them! Pure luck. My small ones seem to be doing ok, but growing quite slowly now. Not sure if they need to be in deeper substrate. I was gifted a year's subscription to Barry's Cactus Club so get a new cactus or succulent each month that way. Just repotted one of Barry's today - "sea urchin" cactus - as its pot was far too tiny for it. Possibly might do another tomorrow as it is also outgrowing the pot...problem is its spikes which are beyond vicious!

That sounds good, particularly getting them to flower! I grew some lithops from seed as a kid which are still going strong at my parents' house, though it was completely fortunate that happened as we didn't know anything about them! Pure luck. My small ones seem to be doing ok, but growing quite slowly now. Not sure if they need to be in deeper substrate. I was gifted a year's subscription to Barry's Cactus Club so get a new cactus or succulent each month that way. Just repotted one of Barry's today - "sea urchin" cactus - as its pot was far too tiny for it. Possibly might do another tomorrow as it is also outgrowing the pot...problem is its spikes which are beyond vicious!

you sound far more advanced then me, to keep them going for that long is great. How often do you water them? yes i am not sure if you need to cover them when they get a bit leggy.

I have not seen that club I will have a look.

I have managed to propagate a couple from cuttings and leaves that have snapped off.

I had a couple that didnt grow in my old house but as soon as they had more light they shot up