Gardening thread | Page 11 | Vital Football

Gardening thread

My tomato plants are completely refusing to do anything productive. Need to have a look at digging up some carrots and beetroot soon.

I'm seriously worried about our potatoes. Vast, luxiourous growth, but are they doing the business below-decks? It's like plant-based "Love Island"!

Harvested a shit load of blackberries that droop over our wall from a bit of open land adjoining us last Thursday.

It is now Monday and I really could do without eating another blackberry ever again. Literally put them with everything, breakfast dinner and tea. Lovely but moderation is needed. Still lots ripening as well!!

Apples and Pears in the garden very close to being harvested now as well. Normally that's not done until Mid-September, but that'll be too late this. Everything seems 3-4 weeks ahead of normal. Global warming for you??

Bramble jam it is then..... Happy thought!

I think we've had 6 strawberries now, with two more to come today. Planted late and only 3 small plants. Next year we're going to have a strawberry barrel and pots on the wall around the garden planted much earlier, so hopefully get a "rolling crop".

We've got eight small tomatoes on the plants, so we're going to get a crop of some kind from those. Probably be making green tomato chutney, though! They've done well, but started late, again.

The herbs have been magnificent...

A mixed crop for us so far, although only partly harvested. Carrots seem good, spring onions are ok, beetroot are either a reasonable size or quite small despite huge, luxurious leaves. Rocket has all gone to seed now and is being eaten by caterpillars!

I mentioned earlier in the thread that we purchased a small bay tree ( much cheaper than the full grown ones) It has three stems and Mrs E is attempting to plait it into a standard one by working it around a thick cain12100ED7-A51B-40D4-80CC-C0BAA1761800.jpeg

Two strawberries today! Two! Count 'em. One each.

We have one of those pots with holes in sits in the middle of the garden table. Lovely strawberries on it, although pick them at your peril. Mrs G likes it for the decoration !! Birds and Squirrels get first dibs.

We harvested some of our veg yesterday - carrots, beetroot, white beetroot and spring onions. Also picked some of the tayberries, although we haven't got as many of those as in previous years.

Nice! Our tomatoes are coming on surprisingly well after a late start for them.
That's good! We were given a few tomato plants by my brother, but they aren't doing anything. If we're lucky, we might get one small one off them - from six plants! :LOL: