Gardening thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Gardening thread

I can recommend cut and come again mixed salad, especially if you are just starting out on the joys of gardening.

I planted a load of seeds in compost in an old wheelbarrow and they've kept us in salad for about 6 weeks (well, me and the wife - the kids aren't interested!). It's immeasurably better than the awful packaged stuff from supermarkets and really easy to grow if you've no experience of gardening.

In other news, the onions have worked well, garlic looks like it's almost ready, beetroot pretty disappointing, runner beans slow but sure. Kale from last year still just about edible. I need to get some winter crops in soon.

Got rid of the veg patch this year, usually away in June and nobody to water it, so thought I would encourage the bees, planted lupins, lavender and foxgloves which I germinated from seeds nicked from Thetford Forest last autumn. The bees seem to be happy, buzzing around and having a good time.

St Bernard or Bernese?

Should this be in the Cooking" thread?
St Bernard or Bernese?

Should this be in the Cooking" thread?
Neither, but some of them are a bit hairy! There are red, green and black, and green and red ones with weird spiderweb-like threads that grow on the centre. The original plant is growing like crazy, with the green-red hairy one in particular growing a huge tentacle-like part that is now flowering. Looks a bit like a scene from The Thing.

My three tomato plants are doing well and my free seeds given out at M&S are doing ok. Out of the 5 carrot seeds only 3 survived so the kids will have to share a carrot. Although not sure what happened to the lettuce, bit of a disaster as they all died. The Basil smells nice and is going well. Thought the radishes were going the same way as the lettuce but seem to be picking up now.

When I was a kid I did the garden (veg) for my parents and absolutely loved it. It kept me out of trouble tbf. Hopefully, next year when I have a garden of my own I can get back into it big style.

Planted a few borage plants the other day. Hopefully they'll survive for the bees to make use of, as the last ones I had were completely destroyed by snails.
We planted 3 a few years ago, and get 1 or 2 of their relations every year, but never anywhere near the parent plant. They've turned up growing out of tiny cracks, with a potted shrub and on a compost heap among other places.

We planted 3 a few years ago, and get 1 or 2 of their relations every year, but never anywhere near the parent plant. They've turned up growing out of tiny cracks, with a potted shrub and on a compost heap among other places.
I gather they are survivors! I got mine from my dad, who has them all over the place in his allotment. Sounds like once you have them, oh man do you have them. That's fine by me though!