Gardening thread | Vital Football

Gardening thread

Rob the Imp

Vital Football Hero
Which Imps have been using their spare time in the garden, improving an existing one or starting a new project?

We have built a walled vegetable plot, with some interesting drama involved. We have carrots, potatoes, rocket, spring onions, beetroot and white beetroot growing in it.

I have, I transformed my overgrown weed infested flower border into a vegetable patch using "no-dig" technique. I'm making all my mistakes now for a real go in February at being far more self sufficient in veg next year so I have radish, peas, carrots, soya bean and sweetcorn at the moment, with lettuce and cabbage in the cold frame ready to go in when they get larger

I’ve just received some decking boards which were ordered a while ago so I’ve got to wait now for the weather to improve before I replace some old decking, repaint it and also repaint the fence.
I‘ve already gravelled and edged an area of the front garden and planted up some geraniums in troughs and also edged the back garden between the lawn (more like straw at the moment) and borders with decking board and planted up some bedding plants.
No veg at present though I did try some tomatoes once but they came out like cherry tomatoes instead of normal ones. Lack of watering I think.

Three tomato plants are coming on nicely and my free M&S seeds are doing ok. The daughter thinks I’m a little crazy as she said they are meant for kids ! You won’t be saying that when you’re hungry, at least we can have a carrot each. :wahey:

I've been held up by my green bin. Emptied this week for the first time in something like 2.5/3 months. I've multiple piles of waste around the place and still have about 20 yards of conifers to cut.
Decent sized garden seemed a good idea when we got the place. As each year has passed it has seemed less so!

I've been held up by my green bin. Emptied this week for the first time in something like 2.5/3 months. I've multiple piles of waste around the place and still have about 20 yards of conifers to cut.
Decent sized garden seemed a good idea when we got the place. As each year has passed it has seemed less so!

Put some sheds in your back garden with WiFi and rent them out as offices.

Recently bought two cheap wooden bookcases which we've woodstained and put on the decking at the end of our garden to put plant pots on. Just screwed them to be the decking with brackets to stabilise them a bit.

Apple trees potted up and some "urrrbbs", as our American cousins call them. More herbs on the way and them some planters and trellis to hopefully hide the necessary eyesore that is our wheelie bins.

We're lucky enough to have an outbuilding forming the end of garden which I'm extremely slowly making into a games room/bar thing. Put up a unit on the wall today to hold the old stereo which I've been meaning to do for ages. Hopefully it holds!

I've little spare time except weekends but I've got a potato planter that looks like it's got triffids growing out of it and a couple of pots with peas in that aren't doing as well.
Mrs Riiiiik bought a packet of carrot seeds a couple of months back. They're still in the packet.

I’ve managed to knock up a few planters from some scrap pallet wood and saved myself a few quid, bar the cost of some paint. Quite enjoyed doing it too

Attachments

• B9168727-C990-4633-9A39-0AC03BBE570E.jpeg
    B9168727-C990-4633-9A39-0AC03BBE570E.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 15
  • C8D56368-E171-4D4E-B398-2ABF32036E51.jpeg
    C8D56368-E171-4D4E-B398-2ABF32036E51.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 93436FA3-4564-4632-981F-DD907DCAF822.jpeg
    93436FA3-4564-4632-981F-DD907DCAF822.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 20
Mrs S has just been out picking cherries - she covered the branches/clusters in netting this year, because last year the birds ate them all - half the crop still needs to ripen