Gardening thread | Page 5 | Vital Football

Gardening thread

We moved out to the sticks recently so out garden is a nice size.

the veg plot is going great guns - pots carrots garlic onion etc but the best is rhubarb which we didn’t even plant!

due to the soil we can plant rhododendrons & magnolia really wonderful to see the flowers

We bought ourselves a small bay tree the other day and have just planted it in a pot just outside the back door near our various herbs. It’s only about 15 inches high but has lots of leaves on it, all ready for stew and casserole season

We moved out to the sticks recently so out garden is a nice size.

the veg plot is going great guns - pots carrots garlic onion etc but the best is rhubarb which we didn’t even plant!

due to the soil we can plant rhododendrons & magnolia really wonderful to see the flowers
Similarly we have rhubarb inherited from the previous owners that produces loads, even in the pretty crap soil it's in.

Picked the small amount of red gooseberries our bush produced the other day. No idea what to do with them though! Might stick them in some cake or something.

Picked the small amount of red gooseberries our bush produced the other day. No idea what to do with them though! Might stick them in some cake or something.
Would they work in a crumble Rob? Add a bramley? My favourite crumbles are goosegog or rhubarb where the tartness works well with the sweet custard and topping

I wish I had enough to make it worth it, as I do love making chutney. The net result would be about half a small mugful :shake: I could call it microchutney I suppose. Tiny batches all the way!

Micro-chutney marketed to beardie hipsters at £7.95 for a 50ml jar.

A sound business model in 2020. :lol:

Stewed, and do some shortbread to have with it (we're likely to be doing that with rhubarb later), plus vanilla ice cream, of course

Another alternative is a cobbler ie similar to crumble but with scone (and vanilla ice cream)

Would they work in a crumble Rob? Add a bramley? My favourite crumbles are goosegog or rhubarb where the tartness works well with the sweet custard and topping
They probably would - we have a load of last year's tayberries in the freezer that they could go with!

Micro-chutney marketed to beardie hipsters at £7.95 for a 50ml jar.

A sound business model in 2020. :lol:
I reckon it is, I could make a fortune! We were seriously talking about starting up something like that since no bugger will even look at my CV at the moment. Hipsters love that stuff. That and beard oil/balm/butter/jam/custard. Maybe that's an option too, using the crap in the garden that isn't much use otherwise :lol: