Gardening thread | Page 4 | Vital Football

Gardening thread

Yes, related I think but bush-like rather than vine-like. Sometimes called fly honeysuckle because the fruits are elongated and blue.

We've just planted 4 bushes.
Hope you get some fruit from them before long then. I'm tempted to get one or two myself.

I think it probably takes a few years. You also need cross-polinators which I hope we've got right. The bee hotel I've just put up should help.
Yep, I wouldn't expect anything too soon. Bee hotel sounds a good idea. I made a free-standing one a few years but sadly it remains vacant!

That fresh mint albeit in a packet from the supermarket I’ve put in water hoping I can plant out later, so I don’t have to buy it anymore.

Compost bin arrived and has been constructed, hurrah! Our supermarket basil and mint is in a pot and thriving, definitely a good move!

Lettuce planted from the module trays, let's see if it lives!

The mint, basil, chives and thyme are thriving. As are the apple trees and honey-berry bushes.

The peas do not look well.
I planted some peas that my next door neighbour gave me, in two pots. Same mix of soil and compost in the pots yet one is thriving and the other is dire.

I’ve just found some Chafer grubs in my lawn which is going to be a pain. The crows have just started wrecking it to get to them. I’m going to have to sort them with nematodes. We managed to avoid them two or three years ago when they were about but not this time.

I don’t know if anyone uses the Green Thumb franchise for looking after their lawns but we’ve been quite pleased with the results up until recently when the treatments don’t seem to have been as effective. Turns out the local franchise guy has been pulling a fast one and has been sacked. He’s been cancelling the jobs with head office but continuing to do the work with a sub standard product and charging us on on official Green Thumb paperwork....fraud! The company are being pretty good since they found out and are putting our lawn right foc with a new guy. We’ve had four treatments in the last year that they have no record of. The correct fertiliser pellets should be orange in colour apparently and not the blue that we’ve been getting. First world problem I know in the current climate but pretty annoying none the less.

Radishes seem hard. Sincilbanks struggled with these, I think.

We're basically experimenting and will settle on stuff that is easy to grow.

We have no pretensions to being actual gardeners.

They're supposed to be ridiculously easy to grow. I didn't thin mine though, which seems to have been the problem

Radishes seem hard. Sincilbanks struggled with these, I think.

We're basically experimenting and will settle on stuff that is easy to grow.

We have no pretensions to being actual gardeners.

I asked Mrs S if she was growing any this year. She "no" because in previous years they've nearly always gone to seed

This week I've trimmed the top and one side of the laurel hedge - enough to fill the brown recycling bin (in past years I'd have done the lot and gone to the recycling centre, but still tales of queuing there). Today it's been grass cutting and we've pruned the plum tree - things looking good, and hoping we don't get the invasion of wasps we had last year

Mrs S annoyed that of three mini sunflowers she had growing in a planter, only one is thriving, due to activity of slugs and snails - "The bastards" she calls them