Gardening thread | Page 17 | Vital Football

Gardening thread

Apparently, the jet stream is still south of where it would normally be. It's probably the EU's fault.

Planted a couple of hanging baskets today.

One strawberry plant and on tomato plant already have some flowers. Potatoes going well.

I think the gooseberry bushes may actually be triffids.

Prepping half the deck for treatment, today. Not my favourite task.
I’ve got to replace some of mine this year. Some of the joists and posts underneath have rotted so I’ve got to cut it back to expose what I can salvage or not. Made the mistake a few years ago to paint rather than stain it which has become a yearly pain.

Well, I've hoovered the deck. Yes, you read that right.

De-greenification next. Then the deck treatment.

Then the same for the other half.

Luckily, it's not very big.

More Ground Elder removal and soil sieving this week. Potatoes, Onions and Carrots sown/planted out in small veg patch. Mowed newly turfed area of lawn for first time.

Blackbird chicks fledged from nest in Ivy on garage wall. Saw mouse scurry into habitat pile of rotting wood.

Garden now fully awake we decided to leave lawns uncut and now the wild flowers are starting to appear. Funny we bought wild flowers in old house and there were disappointing this year we did nothing and they have self set with vigour

Planted out the last of the bedding flowers today in pots. Putting some brackets up tomorrow to hold them.

Trained the rampant gooseberry bushes.

Then it will be de-greenyfying the second half of the deck prior to the wood treatment.

dug a little pool to help the mason bees do their thing, We seem to have about 10 or so nesting in our nesting straws, and three have decided that they would nest inside the birth box, it's great to watch though. Just about to sew a new nectar area in the garden, last years was not very successful, and am a bit late this year so we shall see.

Lastly there is some kind of world war happening with the local crows and our overhead views are i imagine very close to the Battle of Britain at the moment.

I don't know if its been the wet Spring, but we've had very little insect life around this year.

I don't know if its been the wet Spring, but we've had very little insect life around this year.

Have not seen so many insects for ages. Loads of bees have decided the corner of the roof is now their home, must be a hundred swarming about and they are not honey bees. The bottom of the garden is gnat city and six different sorts of fly protest each time another length of Ground Elder is prised out. Ladybirds, Red and Black Ants, various beetles, wasps and bumble bees seen yesterday. Everything is late, just waiting for the green and black fly: should be any day.

Planted out a few strawberry plants.

Courgette plants and sunflowers picking up now, growing well. Lots of pears and gooseberries developing. Wild garlic in flower now. Rhubarb has gone mad and been hacked back to provide puddings. Some of my small, potted oak saplings growing again, though frustratingly most seem not to have survived the winter.

Have not seen so many insects for ages. Loads of bees have decided the corner of the roof is now their home, must be a hundred swarming about and they are not honey bees. The bottom of the garden is gnat city and six different sorts of fly protest each time another length of Ground Elder is prised out. Ladybirds, Red and Black Ants, various beetles, wasps and bumble bees seen yesterday. Everything is late, just waiting for the green and black fly: should be any day.

Planted out a few strawberry plants.

We have an urban back-yard in a terraced area with not a lot of green space locally, but last year had quite a few visitors. Almost none this year so far.

Lastly there is some kind of world war happening with the local crows and our overhead views are i imagine very close to the Battle of Britain at the moment.

Yes, our crows have been militant lately.

Last week I was twice disturbed by tremendous thuds on the window behind me. The first time, I turned round to see a wood pigeon closely pursued by a crow, the second time there were two crows chasing a pigeon. After the second occurrence, there were four pigeon down feathers stuck to the window.

We have an urban back-yard in a terraced area with not a lot of green space locally, but last year had quite a few visitors. Almost none this year so far.

Not sure what to suggest, but if you want insects, having an insect box/hotel, something to pollinate and somewhere to drink would help. Ivy, Virginia Creepers, Clematis, Honeysuckle all work well in smaller spaces but you will already know that.