Gardening thread | Page 16 | Vital Football

Gardening thread

I gave up my allotment a few years ago. I don't have the biggest of back gardens and Mrs Croozey was putting her foot down about me rotavating a corner of the garden for a veg plot. So in the end i went for growing things efficiently in pots and tubs. Just the things we really eat. You know how expensive leaves and lettuces are these days. Well i invented this. I call it the Salad Bar 2000. or SB2K for short. So i am constantly planting lettuce seeds into pots, and then when they are big enough i transplant them into this.
So as you can see i have got 6 x small green plastic tubs. I then made a wooden frame for them to drop in to. then put legs on it. It also has 2 copper anti slug tape barriers on the legs to stop slugs and snails. I've been using this very successfully for a few years now. I only use the plastic canopy in the early months of the year. i tend to stop growing by October and put it all away. What is also useful, the green tubs can come inside if you expect a frost, and then take them back outside when the temperature is warmer.
View attachment 47938
Nice setup!

I just noticed this afternoon that two (of four) goji berry seeds have germinated, so we'll see what happens next. Hope they survive.

Just been to pick up some second hand paving bricks, I got 106 for a tenner! I'll split up the beds with them so I have something to walk on rather than getting compost in my shoes!

Great idea. Under the Ivy were eight or nine large thick concrete window cills, not from the house. Will use them for the same purpose. Sister, a keen gardener, gave us Red Hot Pokers, Lavender, Erigeron x2, Oregano. All planted out today.

Rest of the strawberries planted out. That's everything done until a few things arrive by post.

We started very late last year, so this is out first year planting out from Spring onwards. Be interesting to see how many things we kill! :lol:

Our gooseberry bushes are rampant and have some blossom. As does the dwarf apple tree that looks lovely. Toms doing ok as well.

Hopefully having some miniature pepper plants delivered soon.

Two Loch Ness blackberry vines delivered today. They look robust and are going to be trained up a wall.

This could be put on the cooking thread, but a quick Google suggests chive flowers are edible with a mild onion taste. Can be sprinkled on salads, potato salad or put in cheese scones.

We have a few stems about to bloom so will be trying that.

Our gooseberry bushes are rampant and have some blossom. As does the dwarf apple tree that looks lovely. Toms doing ok as well.

Hopefully having some miniature pepper plants delivered soon.
Keep an eye out for any Caterpillar looking bugs on the gooseberries , they will tend to be Sawfly Larvae, We lost the majority of crop the other year, and even though our garden robin tried to help, we had to spray them in the end.

Keep an eye out for any Caterpillar looking bugs on the gooseberries , they will tend to be Sawfly Larvae, We lost the majority of crop the other year, and even though our garden robin tried to help, we had to spray them in the end.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Carrot fly nets up on the carrots and I'll mesh over the lettuces tomorrow. First early potatoes and our peas are flying and our second earlies just showing now.

2nd earlies coming through nice, plus a "volunteer" amongst the geranium planter!

One of our gooseberry bushes has about 20 small fruit on it, which is cool.