Gardening thread | Page 15 | Vital Football

Gardening thread

Just spent a couple of hours watering as it’s so dry out there like a dust bowl

Took me 5 minutes to do the pots and planters. 😁

We have a south-facing wall so hoping to get some more semi-circular pots on that this year, probably for strawberries.

Took me 5 minutes to do the pots and planters. 😁

We have a south-facing wall so hoping to get some more semi-circular pots on that this year, probably for strawberries.

they take well like that. We are in rural and old garden a lot a trees and beds that seem to need a drink. It hasn’t rained for weeks.

Three rows of salad and herbs doing nicely! Mr Hither being assiduous with the watering can almost certainly helped...... Pot of Alpine strawberries has made it through another winter, hoping for some fruit again this summer (not high yielding but nicely sweet).

Three rows of salad and herbs doing nicely! Mr Hither being assiduous with the watering can almost certainly helped...... Pot of Alpine strawberries has made it through another winter, hoping for some fruit again this summer (not high yielding but nicely sweet).

Our single strawberry plan has re-appeared. I honestly didn't know that was possible. Not sure how it will do, but there's a bit of leafage that appears to be growing quite well.

In a repeat of the whole toilet and pasta lock-down fiasco, no strawberry plants left at the garden centre.

But! Did get 3 tomato plants - 3 different varieties, so will see which do best. And some bedding-type plants for our 2 hanging baskets.

Planting them after I can get out of the home office.

I planted three extremely ambitious potatoes which were attempting to grow despite being in a dark cupboard. I also separated out some of the red Brussels sprouts seedlings which are growing like mad, hopefully they survive. (I planted lots of their seeds thinking not many would germinate...how wrong I was)

Planted 3 more tomato plants today, making 6 in total and all different varieties. We're going to rate them all on croppage and flavour to see which does best.

Also planted a dwarf pear tree to go with our two dwarf apples. Mrs N. misread the label and thought it was self-pollinating, but it isn't so may have to get another one.

What an amazing week - fruit trees in flower, the rhubarb has finally appear and Blossom out. Things are growing at last. i think we must be a month behind last year but at last the garden is alive

Have taken on a new hose with a garden, untouched for 15 years. Ivy and Ground Elder have ruled the roost. In places Ivy is three foot thick, over a month of chopping back, tidying and digging in spare time. Discovered a shed, two old borders with roses, daffs, a Catoniaster and Elephant Ears and various as yet unidentified plants. Lawn didn’t really exist so have dug it over and levelled it ready for seeding/turf. A robin comes within three feet to pick up bugs. Great blossom on what looks like a wild plum tree, covered in Ivy.

Planted tomatoes, chillis, onions, basil, and hollyhocks in seed trays: most are coming through. No veggie area yet though, just a sea of ground elder. Loads of work to do. Will stop just before 3.00pm today.

Any tips on getting rid of Ground Elder, it is everywhere?

Today, will be planting out 12 strawberry plants in various pots and planters around the back-yard. It appears we have three varieties of these, so again will be monitoring croppage/flavour.

Bit of a weird spring so far with many consecutive days starting with a frost, and no rain for weeks. Nothing is really happening, or if it is, it's barely noticeable! I have got some salad leaves in an upcycled wheelbarrow and plenty of seedlings in the conservatory.

Have taken on a new hose with a garden, untouched for 15 years. Ivy and Ground Elder have ruled the roost. In places Ivy is three foot thick, over a month of chopping back, tidying and digging in spare time. Discovered a shed, two old borders with roses, daffs, a Catoniaster and Elephant Ears and various as yet unidentified plants. Lawn didn’t really exist so have dug it over and levelled it ready for seeding/turf. A robin comes within three feet to pick up bugs. Great blossom on what looks like a wild plum tree, covered in Ivy.

Planted tomatoes, chillis, onions, basil, and hollyhocks in seed trays: most are coming through. No veggie area yet though, just a sea of ground elder. Loads of work to do. Will stop just before 3.00pm today.

Any tips on getting rid of Ground Elder, it is everywhere?

Sounds like an exciting project!

I gave up my allotment a few years ago. I don't have the biggest of back gardens and Mrs Croozey was putting her foot down about me rotavating a corner of the garden for a veg plot. So in the end i went for growing things efficiently in pots and tubs. Just the things we really eat. You know how expensive leaves and lettuces are these days. Well i invented this. I call it the Salad Bar 2000. or SB2K for short. So i am constantly planting lettuce seeds into pots, and then when they are big enough i transplant them into this.
So as you can see i have got 6 x small green plastic tubs. I then made a wooden frame for them to drop in to. then put legs on it. It also has 2 copper anti slug tape barriers on the legs to stop slugs and snails. I've been using this very successfully for a few years now. I only use the plastic canopy in the early months of the year. i tend to stop growing by October and put it all away. What is also useful, the green tubs can come inside if you expect a frost, and then take them back outside when the temperature is warmer.
18768423_10155471662469828_7197369388135181017_o.jpg

Another picture, with the canopy off. Also, i had glued a badge on the front. From left to right, Radishes, All Year round lettuce, Red Lettuce, Rocket, Chinese Choi, and spring onions.
It only takes 10 seconds to water in the morning and 10 seconds in the evening.
18920804_10155471664059828_287133573389192699_o.jpg