Gardening thread | Page 14 | Vital Football

Gardening thread

I de-weeded and dug over our veg patch yesterday, and found a few potatoes that had been missed! Also a couple of tiny carrots and beetroot that had somehow survived all the frosts.

I also remembered about some exotic seeds I was given, and have started some off - wild strawberries (possibly planted a little late) and goji berries! I'm not confident about the gojis working to be honest. Looks like if they do work though, I'll end up with a bush that will keep producing annually. Amongst the other seeds are some for golden berries/physalis - an acquired taste if ever there was one.

I also remembered about some exotic seeds I was given, and have started some off - wild strawberries (possibly planted a little late) and goji berries! I'm not confident about the gojis working to be honest. Looks like if they do work though, I'll end up with a bush that will keep producing annually. Amongst the other seeds are some for golden berries/physalis - an acquired taste if ever there was one.

I quite like them, but the name is a bit off putting

I quite like them, but the name is a bit off putting
True, they do sound like they should either be insect-based or are the product of some medical condition. I never used to like them although I do now. Lidl's "Berries and cherries" dried fruit mix features them dried, which are pretty good.

I planted a few more seeds in trays the other day - carrots, purple carrots, spinach beet, yellow courgette and red brussells sprouts.

Very cold this year compared to last I reckon we (south Somerset) are a couple of weeks at least behind last year. That said fruit trees now leafing out. I also think it’s going to be a good year for blossom too.

in addition to it being colder then normal its also a lot drier too. I think unless it rains will need to water at the weekend.

Last edited:
Very cold this year compared to last I reckon we (south Somerset) are a couple of weeks at least behind last year. That said fruit trees now leafing out. I also think it’s going to be a good year for blossom too.

in addition to it being colder then normal heretics also a lot drier too. I think unless it rains will need to water at the weekend.

You should always water your heretics otherwise they go all apostate on you.

in addition to it being colder then normal its also a lot drier too. I think unless it rains will need to water at the weekend.
It really is so dry here (Leicestershire) especially. We've had no rain to speak of for many weeks. No grass growth happening in our garden and the paths we walk the dogs on are cracked and dusty. Unexpected for April that's for sure!

Yes, I've been having to water our pots and planters. Not something I expect to have to in April!

Hoping to get out to some garden centres this week and pick up some stuff for the pots and planters.

Just put out my mason bee cocoons for the year, not sure i have timed it right with the frost and temperatures, and in a way i really hope they don't pollinate the pear tree as it produces far too many pears as it is