Gardening thread | Page 13 | Vital Football

Gardening thread

you sound far more advanced then me, to keep them going for that long is great. How often do you water them? yes i am not sure if you need to cover them when they get a bit leggy.

I have not seen that club I will have a look.

I have managed to propagate a couple from cuttings and leaves that have snapped off.

I had a couple that didnt grow in my old house but as soon as they had more light they shot up
I'm amazed how long they've lasted, I think they only get a dribble of water every three or four months. I'm keen on buying them but I don't know much about them really, I just glean my information from the internet! One cactus I bought last year has sagged quite extremely and I doubt it's savable, though I'm trying. Most of the other small ones I let do their thing and give a little water here and there.

It does seem that they need a huge amount of light - might be how the ones we grew years ago are still going as they live on a conservatory windowsill. Might ask a facebook group for advice on my small ones. Cuttings aren't something I've had much luck with unfortunately, but will try some more.

I'm amazed how long they've lasted, I think they only get a dribble of water every three or four months. I'm keen on buying them but I don't know much about them really, I just glean my information from the internet! One cactus I bought last year has sagged quite extremely and I doubt it's savable, though I'm trying. Most of the other small ones I let do their thing and give a little water here and there.

It does seem that they need a huge amount of light - might be how the ones we grew years ago are still going as they live on a conservatory windowsill. Might ask a facebook group for advice on my small ones. Cuttings aren't something I've had much luck with unfortunately, but will try some more.

that is interesting thanks - so far if they look they are struggling I mist them. I will move to your method!

the internet is great for watching videos and reading up on this! i read once that its better to let them get to near death then water - but its very temping to water. what confuses me is that there are winter growers - Dudleya for instance which are the complete opposite where you water in winter and less in summer!

is the cactus over watered? if you haven't watered it for while try that as I have a couple that look dead then with a drop of water they perk straight up.

Mine all looked a bit sad - but now there is more daylight and the sun is stronger they seem to be waking up.

that is interesting thanks - so far if they look they are struggling I mist them. I will move to your method!

the internet is great for watching videos and reading up on this! i read once that its better to let them get to near death then water - but its very temping to water. what confuses me is that there are winter growers - Dudleya for instance which are the complete opposite where you water in winter and less in summer!

is the cactus over watered? if you haven't watered it for while try that as I have a couple that look dead then with a drop of water they perk straight up.

Mine all looked a bit sad - but now there is more daylight and the sun is stronger they seem to be waking up.
I think with lithops and other succulents and cacti, apart from (lithops at least) baby ones you should avoid misting as it can sit on them and cause rot, or so I've read.

It does seem that less is more in terms of watering them so definitely be stingy with them, I think twice a season (for lithops) is probably enough.

If anything it sounds like it was underwatered! Others have said that it actually needs a regular watering, including over winter, unlike most of them. Having said that, I've given it a good drink and it hasn't changed at all. I think the next step is to repot into a better substrate - more rocky and sandy, as it seems to be in a fairly standard houseplant soil which I doubt is helping.

I just gave all of mine their first watering since autumn, so hopefully they will pick up now! I've repotted a couple of the rounder cacti, too. Glad yours are waking up from their sleep!

Well, our gooseberry bushes seem to have survived the winter and our chives and mint are coming back of their own accord.
My single gooseberry bush is budding now. Mint is like the terminator of the plant world, isn't it? Virtually nothing can stop it!

My single gooseberry bush is budding now. Mint is like the terminator of the plant world, isn't it? Virtually nothing can stop it!

Which is a good thing as Mrs N. and I seem to kill pretty much all things green by too little - or too much - attention.

Our habitual gardening Google is "plants not easy to kill". :grinning:

Our mint is a bit sluggish, but we are quite far north. My wife was having severe words with it earlier today - she was letting it know it is perilously close to the G&T season for her and if it doesn't get its act together it will be on borrowed time!

Which is a good thing as Mrs N. and I seem to kill pretty much all things green by too little - or too much - attention.

Our habitual gardening Google is "plants not easy to kill". :grinning:
You should get some rhubarb if you don't already have some - the bugger in our garden just keeps growing every year, we hack bits off it and it carries on! It's a pretty good arrangement!

Our mint is a bit sluggish, but we are quite far north. My wife was having severe words with it earlier today - she was letting it know it is perilously close to the G&T season for her and if it doesn't get its act together it will be on borrowed time!
There's nothing like a bit of threatening to encourage them! Sometimes it's just what they need.

First early potatoes went into the ground yesterday, carrots and peas probably go in tomorrow. Lettuce went in earlier this week but I suspect I've killed our first lot, second lot on the go...

First early potatoes went into the ground yesterday, carrots and peas probably go in tomorrow. Lettuce went in earlier this week but I suspect I've killed our first lot, second lot on the go...

Where looking at some early potatoes. Do you know the variety?

Well, our gooseberry bushes seem to have survived the winter and our chives and mint are coming back of their own accord.

Same for us, the herb border seems to have survived the winter nicely so mint, oregano, thyme, chives and sage now on the go. Mr Hither planted the first sowings in the salad bed this week , really enjoyed having home-grown salad last summer. Home grown rocket really bites back!